Removing Plastic covers from Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
REMOVING PLASTIC

hELLO,
i DID FIND THE INFO WHICH WAS DELIVERED WITH THE sUPERBLACK PRODUCT. iT IS IN fRENCH. i WILL TRY TO MAKE IT AVAILABLE SOMEHOW. They tell me that a capacitors body will be charged by the signal flowing through it and that this charge will be returned to the actual capacitor when there is less signal flowing.This Superblack will prevent the charging of the capacitors'housing. I am sure there will be some kind of scientific explanation. I am not a techical person but i have a strong belief in the experience of French and Japanese audiophiles. These TAD 2001 with their 109 DB sensitivity reveal a lot more than those typical Americain loudspeakersystems which will need lots of power. Mine are driven by a 1961 line amplifier using ef86 and el84 + outputtransformer. Just try it, even if it gives you the idea of an improvement it will be an improvement for a few bucks or euros, Ed

Re: Irony

artnyos said:
Sorry my quote got truncated. :bullseye:

Maybe mechanical damping of pasive components isn't quite Voodoo after all.

Er, when did I ever say that it was? Can you offer up a quote? I know my memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure that I never made any such claim.

Yes, I use mechanical damping. Why? Because I subjectively preferred it when I did. Do I believe that it produces an actual audible difference? No. Do I believe that it does not produce an actual audible difference? No. I simply don't know one way or the other. Nor do I much care one way or the other.

What I do know however is that there is enough psychology involved in our subjective perceptions of audio that it would be a rather huge leap of illogic to dogmatically assume just one possibility while wholly ignoring other very real possibilities.

P.S. I never put forth the electrostatic theories you seem so engrossed with.

I don't recall ever having said that you did. When did I do this?

I'm beginning to feel like I'm stuck in an episode of the Twilight Zone. Either that or the messaging software used here is putting strange subliminal messages into my posts that only certain others seem to be able to see.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CAPS+ESD

Ed,

Seems to me we're on the same wavelenght here.
Actually the graphite will neutralise the charge built up.
BTW,
Ever tried a SE amp on the TAD ?
Fabulous stuff.
What lots of audiophiles don't seem to understand is that all this energy waste on inefficient speaker systems is also wasting a lot of micro information so important to the musical content.

Rgds,

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CAPS

Steve,

Yes, I use mechanical damping. Why? Because I subjectively preferred it when I did. Do I believe that it produces an actual audible difference? No. Do I believe that it does not produce an actual audible difference? No. I simply don't know one way or the other. Nor do I much care one way or the other.

You probably already forgot why we are discussing this??

Sorry,but if you're replying to a person address it to this person.
If you don't you're inviting the whole group to pick on you.:att'n:

Re: REMOVING PLASTIC

eduard said:
hELLO,They tell me that a capacitors body will be charged by the signal flowing through it and that this charge will be returned to the actual capacitor when there is less signal flowing.This Superblack will prevent the charging of the capacitors'housing. I am sure there will be some kind of scientific explanation.

Great. Because the explanation so far is a load.

It seems that they're making some rather bizarre extrapolations based on dielectric absorption. That often happens when one has a rather vague grasp of a particular phenomenon and then they try and apply it to areas they know even less about.

I don't know why they can't simply just say "Give it a try" and leave it at that instead of trying to cook up a bunch of bizarre theories. They apparently have no desire to actually get at the truth. Otherwise they'd just simply check to see if there was in fact any static charge built up on the capacitor's body to begin with.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ESD

Steve,

It seems that they're making some rather bizarre extrapolations based on dielectric absorption. That often happens when one has a rather vague grasp of a particular phenomenon and then they try and apply it to areas they know even less about.

Care to tell that to the engineers at JVC Japan?

And I don't think this has got anything to do with DA either.:xeye:
From what I gather it's more to do with keeping insulator and conductor at the same electrical potential.
To the best of my knowledge (and it would be great if it were different) no audio accesory,tweak or you name it,gets accompanied by a full blown scientific explanation of the " how and why variety".
Hey,what the heck do we know?:bawling:

Rgds,

Re: CAPS

fdegrove said:
Steve,

You probably already forgot why we are discussing this??

Dunno. Depends just which "this" you're referring to. :)

Sorry,but if you're replying to a person address it to this person.
If you don't you're inviting the whole group to pick on you.:att'n:

Well, if I want to say something to someone and not expect any other commentary, I'll refrain from saying it on a public forum and use EMail instead. :)

Don't worry. I've been communicating online like this for over 15 years. Not some newbie who just stumbled in from AOL. :)

se

Re: ESD

fdegrove said:
Steve,

Care to tell that to the engineers at JVC Japan?

Sure. Just give me their names and EMail addresses.

And what have the engineers at JVC Japan have to do with the discussion at hand? It's my understanding that the engineers at JVC developed the stuff for use in CRTs and that some audiophiles started using it for other purposes. So where's the connection between the JVC engineers and this?

And I don't think this has got anything to do with DA either.

I've no idea. All that's been presented so far are second, third and fourth hand accounts. Have the JVC engineers written this up anywhere so that I can get a first hand accounting?

From what I gather it's more to do with keeping insulator and conductor at the same electrical potential.

But I've no idea whether what you gather has anything to do with what the initial claims are.

To the best of my knowledge (and it would be great if it were different) no audio accesory,tweak or you name it,gets accompanied by a full blown scientific explanation of the " how and why variety".

That's because it's easier to sit around and spin a lot of half-baked theories than to actually make an attempt to get at the truth. If one hasn't an interest in getting at the truth, I think they should simply avoid any pretense of it and just opt for "Give it a try." Otherwise, it just ends up being nothing but a lot of background noise.

se

Re: Re: ESD

Steve Eddy said:

I've no idea. All that's been presented so far are second, third and fourth hand accounts. Have the JVC engineers written this up anywhere so that I can get a first hand accounting?

But I've no idea whether what you gather has anything to do with what the initial claims are.

se

We don't really expect you to have an answer for everything.;)

Re: Re: Re: ESD

Peter Daniel said:

We don't really expect you to have an answer for everything.;)

Oh but I do! It's vitally important.

Allow me to quote from the Book of Nilsson:

Now, if you haven't got an answer...
Then you haven't got a question.
And if you never had a question...
Then you'd never have a problem.
But if you never had a problem...
Well, everyone would be happy.
But if everyone was happy...
There'd never be a love song.

You must hate love songs. :)

se

Re: Re: Re: Re: ESD

Steve Eddy said:

Now, if you haven't got an answer...
Then you haven't got a question.
And if you never had a question...
Then you'd never have a problem.
But if you never had a problem...
Well, everyone would be happy.
But if everyone was happy...
There'd never be a love song.

se

It's better than my current signature. But it's a bit too long to be used conveniently.;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CAPS

Steve,

Inform yourself and get REAL please.

Sure. Just give me their names and EMail addresses.

Get a secretary too!!?

The product in casu "Superblack" was probably developed for CRT coating,I agree.Under the Superblack name though it wasn't marketed as such.They wouldn't have put it on the market in a small bottle with a small brush on applicator for that purpose now,would they?
I'm talking the size of nail polish stuff here.
To top it all of , this product was only available in France,in small imported quantities by "La Maison the L'Audiophile" more than 10 years ago !And it was in short supply even back then.
Point is you seem to be missing the point!
If you really want to find out put some e-mails out to a few Japanese audiophiles,their very helpful by nature and culture.

I rest my case,:D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ESD

Peter Daniel said:

It's better than my current signature. But it's a bit too long to be used conveniently.;)

No problem. Here, try Campbell Soup's new Condensed Nilsson Soup:

<font size=1>
<sub>
Now, if you haven't got an answer... Then you haven't got a question. And if you never had a question... Then you'd never have a problem. But if you never had a problem... Well, everyone would be happy. But if everyone was happy... There'd never be a love song.
</sub>
</font>

:)

se

:radar: .... :)
now do you folks expect me to rip off that fancy superblack heatshrink from my MKV caps? :cheeky: And have the high voltage of on side unprotected on the housing? :no:
:scratch2: Hmmh maybe i should try it ... probably would have to build a cage of C37-lacquered bamboo around each as user protection :angel:

What are we talking about really?

Guys, what are we talking about really? An aluminium can is more or less a Faraday's cage. I can't see any logical explaination of how you can talk about charges inside a metal can caused by plastic outside??? The caps are smooting caps, I gather so what would this plastic thing actually do? This is a real tweak I would say and I also realize that I can't win.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.