Coupling caps suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OF course Audiophile caps sound better!!! They cost more!!
Recently a friend asked me to fit some Mundorf .56uf caps to his amp.
I always test caps before fitting; I got these readings for caps labelled .56 1%
.39..49,.. .56… .5..
Imagine what that lot would sound like in a push pull amp?
I will stick to Ero, Wima. I have never found caps so far out even cheap Chinese ones. Ero and Wima always measure very close.
So always test your caps

Phil

I'm always intrigued by folks making the claim that people will hear what they want to hear. I know of numerous occasions where I've been in an environment where I've been expecting a big improvement (due to boutique parts, or high end components, or perceived value, or reviews) where I've been decidedly underwhelmed and dissatisfied, and conversely numerous occasions where I've been expecting things to sounds pretty unimpressive and been flawed by the quality of reproduction.

Seems to me that if I'm hearing a change, it's due to what I'm hearing, not what I'm expecting.

Please don't confuse people's simple beliefs. Surely there has to be something which gives you a cue for your likes and dislikes. Maybe it is the capacitor's colour... shape... tactile feel. Whatever it is, it cannot be the SOUND :D

Please don't confuse people's simple beliefs. Surely there has to be something which gives you a cue for your likes and dislikes. Maybe it is the capacitor's colour... shape... tactile feel. Whatever it is, it cannot be the SOUND :D

Don't forget the "story" and the corresponding price. These are huge influencers of the brain.

And, at times, there's also the extremely inferior performance of an expensive "audiophile" capacitor which, because it does actually sound different due to its defects (typically moisture-laden paper dielectric and/or loose windings), is selected as "vastly improved."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.