Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2009, 09:53 PM   #31
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

it takes more that teflon dielectric to make a good cap.
which would you rather use, a not-so-well constructed teflon cap or a very well made polypropylene or polystyrene cap?

mlloyd1
Old 18th December 2009, 10:26 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I see this thread has degenerated into the usual nonsense. We hear from the know-it-alls and tried-it-alls who have nothing new to offer other than their own bloated expert opinions. We hear from the "no cap" crowd, even though that contributes NOTHING to the discussion other than bolstering their own smug self-satisfaction that they know something they think we don't.

All I wanted to do was expose a product that many of you have probably never heard or even heard of. I have no affiliation with Madisound or Fostex. I have no interest in this other than to share my findings and possibly make you aware of an excellent cap I have not seen mentioned or reviewed anywhere else, and possibly generate some discussion about it.

I would be interested in your opinion if you have actually taken the time and trouble and expense, as I have, to compare this cap with others. If you haven't, all your "my caps are better" claims are pointless. Everybody has their favorites, and that's fine. Does that mean one should stop looking for anything better? We all know there are lots of good and bad caps out there. I have read the reviews and then did the work and made some trials and comparisons myself. I know there are lots of big manufacturers that make caps of all types and configurations, and many people and equipment manufacturers have used them in lots of circuits. So what? I tried a few in this application and they're not as good as what I ended up with. They might be great elsewhere. They're decent and cheap, and that is why so many use them.

Other than post the same comments and observations of the obvious over and over about no caps and your cap is best, do you have anything valuable or relevant to the subject matter to contribute? I don't expect everyone or anyone to agree with me, but I would really appreciate some intelligent, informed discussion instead of hollow boasting and pointless posturing.

Thanks,
Tom E
Old 18th December 2009, 11:07 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Alas, [insert component] threads usually all end up the same - eventually locked

You just have to weed out the good stuff from the chaff.

Cheers!
Old 18th December 2009, 11:49 PM   #34
Ltralus is offline Ltralus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonears View Post
I see this thread has degenerated into the usual nonsense. We hear from the know-it-alls and tried-it-alls who have nothing new to offer other than their own bloated expert opinions. We hear from the "no cap" crowd, even though that contributes NOTHING to the discussion other than bolstering their own smug self-satisfaction that they know something they think we don't.

All I wanted to do was expose a product that many of you have probably never heard or even heard of. I have no affiliation with Madisound or Fostex. I have no interest in this other than to share my findings and possibly make you aware of an excellent cap I have not seen mentioned or reviewed anywhere else, and possibly generate some discussion about it.

I would be interested in your opinion if you have actually taken the time and trouble and expense, as I have, to compare this cap with others. If you haven't, all your "my caps are better" claims are pointless. Everybody has their favorites, and that's fine. Does that mean one should stop looking for anything better? We all know there are lots of good and bad caps out there. I have read the reviews and then did the work and made some trials and comparisons myself. I know there are lots of big manufacturers that make caps of all types and configurations, and many people and equipment manufacturers have used them in lots of circuits. So what? I tried a few in this application and they're not as good as what I ended up with. They might be great elsewhere. They're decent and cheap, and that is why so many use them.

Other than post the same comments and observations of the obvious over and over about no caps and your cap is best, do you have anything valuable or relevant to the subject matter to contribute? I don't expect everyone or anyone to agree with me, but I would really appreciate some intelligent, informed discussion instead of hollow boasting and pointless posturing.

Thanks,
Tom E
So you're the absolute authority on caps around here? With great power comes great responsibility. Considering the way you started this thread, it was never possible for it to degenerate.
Old 18th December 2009, 11:57 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I whould of cause use a well constucted Teflon cap. There are many types of Teflon and foamed Teflon whould be interesting to try. The better the dialectric the bigger the cap and that brings layout problems sometime. A circuit does not life or dye on teflon but there is no doubt that Teflon gives the best resolution. That is not always transfering into the best sound because neather the program material nore the system is flawless.
Old 18th December 2009, 11:58 PM   #36
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd1 View Post
it takes more that teflon dielectric to make a good cap.
which would you rather use, a not-so-well constructed teflon cap or a very well made polypropylene or polystyrene cap?

mlloyd1
Caps in the picture are quite good, polyesther caps

They are not incapsulated, thus you can see they are a bit different in size

Values does vary a bit
They are not all of same value
Well, actually the biggest looking is one of the smaller values
And the smalles looking isnt exactly the lowest value at all

And within the same closest value, they atually sound slightly different
On many caps you dont notice the size difference because they are incapsulated in standard "holster"
But I bet the difference is still there, just not visible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap difference.jpg (23.3 KB, 579 views)
Old 19th December 2009, 12:06 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

I think toose are made in Bulgaria. Notorious for breakdown. The shoping is BAD:
Old 19th December 2009, 12:12 AM   #38
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I think toose are made in Bulgaria. Notorious for breakdown. The shoping is BAD:
Oh, might not be recommended fore tube amps
Those are fore crossovers and work quite well
Monacor caps
Out of many caps I do have a big one that failed because one lead getting loose, but was stricktly my own doing, thats all
I have handeled them quite a lot, in and out of curcuit maybe hundred times without failure
I measure them too
Unfortunately prices have gone up lately

Last edited by tinitus; 19th December 2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 19th December 2009, 12:18 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Yes. i know thoose. Can sound good but i had a lot of trouble with loose or breaking of wire. I do not know if shoping the the correct english word but it is the termination of the wire to the cap. it can be made in many ways. some say hand soldering is still the best way to do it. I whould say for audio that makes sense. Brings in a human quality.
Old 19th December 2009, 12:29 AM   #40
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, we always need to be very careful not to stress the point where lead leaves the cap
I always bend the lead over my finger, if possible, or use something smaller
I always try to bend with a smooth curve, not sharp
Its also very easy to straigthen again, no problem
I have done it that way hundreds of times, even with the same cap
Bending leads and straightening again, over and over again, without any problems
But NEVER bend by just pulling in the lead, then it fails easily

Last edited by tinitus; 19th December 2009 at 12:37 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!