I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(harmonics,decay,effortless dynamics,voice naturalness)

Distortions? Speakers. Speakers. Speakers.

I have never claimed that any cable has solved any problems in my system.What I claim is that I can make an easy choice between cables for my system.And my cable choices were results of blind testing,despite some here said we were peeking.;)

But in this blind test there was a deciding factor? Something you heard?

Eh I was just thinking of better ways to get objective results in those areas. At least in my experience those are probably the bottleneck of everything that you mentioned. Harmonics - a lot of people seem to like a layer of distortions to the music which will exaggerate the harmonic content so I took a guess that maybe you are used to this type of playback. Decay - I bet most speakers will run out of downward dynamics before your speaker cable does. Effortless dynamics - same thing here. Voice naturalness - crossover design, spacing of the drivers, driver characteristics will have a far greater effect than a cable.

I know a trick that can make things pop out of the speakers from phantom center and seems to overcome the comb filtering usually related to phantom center imaging. It's subtle in stereo but can be more obvious when decoded to surround sound. I would consider this trick a distortion but I am pretty sure it will give the same forward effect you talk about. And if it's not exactly the same thing I think it will give a much more objective result in regards to 3-D and forwardness on the singer. Not sure I want to say what it is but I could easily make it into some dsp or an analog circuit.

What problems are we talking about here and how do they manifest? Give me a sound problem that you would solve by means of a cable and I will tell you a better way to do it with dsp, LCR, time manipulation, or some other means.

Perhaps where the methods you suggest can work best is in cases where the claims of hearing differences refer to cable directionality.Those who claim they hear such differences,say that in one of the two directions,the sound is dryer,slightly harsher and a little more limited/rolled at both extremes leaving mids slightly exposed and forward.The methods you suggest may make differences indistinguishable,but the question why there are differences remains.

Eh I was just thinking of better ways to get objective results in those areas. At least in my experience those are probably the bottleneck of everything that you mentioned. Harmonics - a lot of people seem to like a layer of distortions to the music which will exaggerate the harmonic content so I took a guess that maybe you are used to this type of playback. Decay - I bet most speakers will run out of downward dynamics before your speaker cable does. Effortless dynamics - same thing here. Voice naturalness - crossover design, spacing of the drivers, driver characteristics will have a far greater effect than a cable.

I know a trick that can make things pop out of the speakers from phantom center and seems to overcome the comb filtering usually related to phantom center imaging. It's subtle in stereo but can be more obvious when decoded to surround sound. I would consider this trick a distortion but I am pretty sure it will give the same forward effect you talk about. And if it's not exactly the same thing I think it will give a much more objective result in regards to 3-D and forwardness on the singer. Not sure I want to say what it is but I could easily make it into some dsp or an analog circuit.

No reason to dissagree with you.But these differences I describe exist from experience between two cables without any "pathological" problems as SY likes to say.In fact,I find differences in cable directionality,enough so as to be measured at the speaker output.

No reason to dissagree with you.But these differences I describe exist from experience between two cables without any "pathological" problems as SY likes to say.In fact,I find differences in cable directionality,enough so as to be measured at the speaker output.

Hmm what type of cables are we talking about here? I guess you are saying just average ones. But if in theory if they are somehow doing some messing with the sound to get a percieved improvement in the first place. I could see a situation where say running a sound through a circuit backwards would sound different from forwards haha. But in terms of cables I just haven't seen any measurements yet of directionality except the ones I did myself at line level which didn't have any variations.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
All venues allowed me to hear the materials from which instruments were made and the size of the room.

I listen to France Musique quite a bit via internet. Not the SQ of they FM signal, but it's amazing how many of their live broadcast sound so good. Great tone, good depth and width. Even at modest bitrates. Very enjoyable. They must be doing something right at la Maison de la Radio.

Hmm what type of cables are we talking about here? I guess you are saying just average ones. But if in theory if they are somehow doing some messing with the sound to get a percieved improvement in the first place. I could see a situation where say running a sound through a circuit backwards would sound different from forwards haha. But in terms of cables I just haven't seen any measurements yet of directionality except the ones I did myself at line level which didn't have any variations.

:) The last cable I have tried in both directions was a diy interconnect made of twisted 20awg copper wires.No shielding and with Neutrik RCA plugs(their cheap ones....better than their expensive type)

What I will try to do as soon as I return from a trip is to measure at the speaker output just to see if what I hear from the speakers can really be measured.If it does then it could be a good point to start........thinking.If you are trying them,make sure that both channels have their wires pointing at the same direction.Measure at both line level and speaker output.

All cables "leak details" some only less. ;)

You're right, I just spent the last two hours trying to vacuum up all the details off my floor. They'd been accumulating there for a while un-noticed, then my gf pointed them out to me. "What have you been doing in here??? Look at all those details on the floor! This place is a pigsty, clean them up!"

I dumped the vacuum cleaner bag into a box, and I'm thinking of selling them on EBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.