I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIAS is the same for high,mid and low-end ....

If they're reasoning from general principles the correct answer is 'everything'. All purchase choices - and not just purchases - are wholly a bias decision divorced from merit, expertise or further experience with the product. We're all 'Caseys and Finnigans'. If on the other hand the claim is the principle only applies to hi-fi colour and finishes, well....

BIAS is the same for high,mid and low-end audio.Surely, the majority you mention is buying low-mid end audio.Any doubt ? Check numbers of sales anywhere in the world.Right.....important and simple facts.
So,I guess some others may need to step out of their very small little world.

Fortunately, Bose advertisements tell everyone that there is better audio available. Small venue prosound installations, if well done, provide an additional example that is unforgettable.
Therefore. . .
I'd say that Joe Public is very well aware that there IS something better but has no idea how to match up investment and risk. In audio, the risk is great for getting the wrong thing at a high price. I think its important to be specific in order to decrease risk.

On this thread, you see how it would be useful to have the speaker manufacturer's recommendations on cables that "they like" with their speakers. Such a recommend is "decreased risk."

If they're reasoning from general principles the correct answer is 'everything'. All purchase choices - and not just purchases - are wholly a bias decision divorced from merit, expertise or further experience with the product. We're all 'Caseys and Finnigans'. If on the other hand the claim is the principle only applies to hi-fi colour and finishes, well....

We can all be biased against or in favor of anything or anyone ,for many reasons.As for audio,personally I know what I'm looking for.I don't mind if it is red or black,american or japanese,cheap or expensive.However,I wish as everyone here,to find what I'm looking for at the lowest possible cost.And yes,I'm biased against some brands,and sellers :)

Therefore. . .
I'd say that Joe Public is very well aware that there IS something better but has no idea how to match up investment and risk. In audio, the risk is great for getting the wrong thing at a high price. I think its important to be specific in order to decrease risk.

On this thread, you see how it would be useful to have the speaker manufacturer's recommendations on cables that "they like" with their speakers. Such a recommend is "decreased risk."

The only way to get the wrong thing at a high price is when you don't know what you are looking for.This means that you will possibly trust a dealer,a magazine,a friend etc........
Speaker and amp manufacturers who recommend cables are well known more or less.The recommended cable's manufacturer will recommend the spaker and amp manufacturers that recommend his cables :)
Decide what you want and you will make the right choice.
It is however true,that many will just walk like lambs to the slaughter,either because they don't know,or even more tragic,they think they know.You can't change them.
So,I agree with you that the more you know what you are looking for,the less the risk to make expensive mistakes.However,the bias towards the cheapest solutions,could be both fear and some lack of solid opinion on some things,forcing someone to defend himself without any obvious thread.

The only way to get the wrong thing at a high price is when you don't know what you are looking for. This means that you will possibly trust a dealer, a magazine, a friend etc........
Speaker and amp manufacturers who recommend cables are well known more or less. The recommended cable's manufacturer will recommend the speaker and amp manufacturers that recommend his cables :)

The speaker manufacturers whom I know personally would never recommend a cable that they didn't like.
However, a cross-recommend (of a seemly selection) isn't out of the question.

. . . Decide what you want and you will make the right choice. It is however true,that many will just walk like lambs to the slaughter, either because they don't know, or even more tragic, they think they know. You can't change them.

Also, language is quite the problem, especially at swapping/confusing cause and effect. Witness the speed of the cables advertisements that don't mean .78 lightspeed intense math, but rather the advertisements mean the affect of electronic dampening on the speed of the cone. The cause of the speed difference and its location were mislabeled. Joe Public cannot decipher this and would perceive it as increased risk.

So, I agree with you that the more you know what you are looking for, the less the risk to make expensive mistakes. However, the bias towards the cheapest solutions, could be both fear and some lack of solid opinion on some things, forcing someone to defend himself without any obvious thread.

Lack of a solid answer. Yes, while I was out canvassing for research, I came across a young lady salesperson at Hastings who had the answer. She said: "Speakers aren't for music. Headphones are for music." Her comment is correct concerning the selection available at her store and most retail stores.

There is also much pressure on the designer to remove size from speakers. This is possible if venue size data is given. Without that data, you need to set an arbitrary minimum effective size for the average expected venue. For instance my judgement on Scale is: Living room average minimum size speaker for concert sound = Dayton 7" RS (currently on sale) put into a 3/4 optimal cabinet and tuned so that electronic BSC is unnecessary. With a pair of speakers based on that woofer, you've got my best guess on "minimum size speaker."
Tang Band has a 5.5" that I haven't explored yet.

There are, unfortunately many lies about small equipment doing a large job in any size room, and this cannot be correct, since the room is also a load upon the audio equipment. Wrong size box for speaker driver is the same problem as wrong size room for loudspeaker. Thus, nonspecific sound reinforcement is hit or miss.

There is a plentiful supply of equipment available to suit any venue; however, Joe Public isn't usually a prosound engineer. I think that we need to make Hi-Fi easier to apply so that it can be purchased more readily.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A good few people who use this forum actually go listen to live music performances

I just got back from hearing Yo Yo Ma live. Does that count? ;) (Cool guy, Mr. Ma)

Real, live music is where it's at. At least for old fuddy duddies like me. I think even if you enjoy music that does not exist without amplification, live is still the reference. Live Reggae, rock, whatever is not like the canned stuff you get at home.

I just got back from hearing Yo Yo Ma live. Does that count? ;) (Cool guy, Mr. Ma)

Real, live music is where it's at. At least for old fuddy duddies like me. I think even if you enjoy music that does not exist without amplification, live is still the reference. Live Reggae, rock, whatever is not like the canned stuff you get at home.

Well, please do join me later this winter when we open up that can. ;)

. . . small venue prosound installations, if well done, provide an additional example that is unforgettable. . . .

Its not impossible for it to be your living room.

There is a plentiful supply of equipment available to suit any venue; however, Joe Public isn't usually a prosound engineer. I think that we need to make Hi-Fi easier to apply so that it can be purchased more readily.

This will never change.Hi-Fi cannot be made easier than source-amp-speakers,so many things will never change.
Panomaniac is right.Real,live music is where it is and will never be recreated in our houses.We are buying recorded music.Hi-Fi recommendations are just personal recommendations of the person who makes these recommendations.They may agree with ours or not.Mass market is ruled by big manufacturers,"high-end" is ruled by few others.Somewhere in the middle there are some really honest(well at least more honest) products.
Dreams for perfect,cheap audio are of course free :)

All I can say is Good luck :) Hope it is wireless too :D

Well, stubbornness and cables will have to do for now. ;)

I'm actually attempting the 3rd successful test tonight. 2/3rds of the center pillar is up and running well. The mixer is lost. The amp for the main channels hasn't been used in some time and it appears to have an ill feedback look and dc offset. The fix is simple, and the soldering irons are hot. . . That amp was boring when I put it up, so I'm going to take a moment to give it a heck of a lot more punch on dynamics before putting it back together. Okay, I better go get back to it.

Its a somewhat interesting prospect to make the walls and ceiling disappear. . . without actually making the walls and ceiling disappear. lol! :D

low SPL lacks speed? This will be interesting :D

This is brand new technology called "Varispeed™".:bulb:
It also regulates the beat in your favourite music, so you do not have to buy expensive Linn or Naim gear anylonger to get the beat right. Now you can adjust yourself to any beat you want, upbeat, downbeat and jus beat:D.
The Varispeed™ technology, is derived from spacetechnology, based on a special and very precise timing device which were part af a Mars landingcraft.
The varispeed™ device is placed on the speakercables in small boxes, and can be adjusted with a remote control.
There will soon be distributers overseas, so be patient and don´t buy new speakercables until you´ve listened to this :spin:

Well, canned music can get pretty close. Just a few days ago I accidentally came across finding out why power cables have been reported to effect audio performance, which is also consistent with my experience. Still an impedance matching problem that results in undesirable transient interaction with the power source. Partial fix resulted in even more detail and image depth. I think this will keep me addicted for a few months while I try to figure out some more improvements.

Last edited:
Well, canned music can get pretty close. Just a few days ago I accidentally came across finding out why power cables have been reported to effect audio performance, which is also consistent with my experience. Still an impedance matching problem that results in undesirable transient interaction with the power source. Partial fix resulted in even more detail and image depth. I think this will keep me addicted for a few months while I try to figure out some more improvements.

Capacitive multiplier DC supply?
or Heavy duty nonpolar cap (2uF to 5uF range) from V+ to V-?
or Regulated power for pre-drive?
or. . . any similar option that directly addresses the issue a lot better than a power cord?

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
or. . . any similar option that directly addresses the issue a lot better than a power cord?

...especially when you realize that the power cord and power transformer are disconnected from the supply about 80% of the time when the rectifier diodes are reverse blocked ....;)

jd

Would you believe snubbering the live and return lines to ground line? This is for a switching power. I have not yet tested whether cable changes will effect this setup yet. This was discovered in the process of trying to reduce noise in the power line that was comming from the power supply.

I agree, but it is very hard to outsmart the peculiarities of powercords.
Me and my pal did build a DAC, with very thorough regulation of the supplies. The analog stage even features shunt regulators, so ripple should in theory be around -180 dB, but lets assume around 120 IRL, but still it is easy to hear the differences between powercords.
I did hope we would get at it, but it seems impossible.
I have experienced just once, that powerchords and the position of them, were completely irrelevant, and that was an amplifier with SMPS.

Would you believe snubbering the live and return lines to ground line? This is for a switching power. I have not yet tested whether cable changes will effect this setup yet. This was discovered in the process of trying to reduce noise in the power line that was comming from the power supply.

Yes, I believe it. That is very common in radio with non-switching power. Make sure to use heavy duty parts that have an ac rating.

Filters of this type are actually available as a plug-in unit with prices ranging from $5 to $10.

-------------

My own preference is to snub the low voltage side of the transformer so that I can also reduce the ringing of the transformer. As an alternative looks cheap works great solution, exact match parallel EI core (most efficient with a pair of dual-bobbin) will seriously damage any higher frequency signal (fine because you wanted dc anyway), and you get to keep your fun dynamics that way.

What was he playing?

I have not kept up with his progress but would like to hear him play the Bach Suites, though - for me - the Casals set will never be beaten!;)

YES, your concert-going does count!!:cloud9:

This isn't a good conclusion....speaker manufacturers almost always will recommend something that has nothing to do with risk. Most times they just recommend things incorrectly that increase the excess costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.