OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As Sy referenced in the 'Stoner Rock' thread, there's a difference between what us old geezers call 'Stoner Rock' and what the young geezers call it :).

Here's some of what I considered stoner rock from 60's and 70's:

It's a Beautiful Day
Doors
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Pink Floyd
Procol Harum
Santana(Caravanserai!)
Jethro Tull(Thick as a Brick!)
Yes

Can't think of any more, off hand :) What do you think?

Tom.

"It's a Beautiful Day" was a wonderful flash in the pan. Many years later, I found myself playing one evening with Dave LaFlamme. I felt like Chris Farley, "Hey man, remember White Bird? It was awesome." (BTW, this was in Salt Lake City)

Tull was a funny one. Their fans were by and large stoners, but Ian Anderson was (and is) militantly anti-drug. TAAB was much less of a stoner album than Benefit. And (to me) much less interesting. Blodwyn Pig, a Tull offshoot, was more about drinking and getting into bar fights.

How did the Grateful Dead miss your list? The Ultimate Stoner Band. King Crimson, MacDonald and Giles, The Nice, Family, Captain Beefheart, lots of great old school stuff.

SY,

You danced oh so carefully around ELP? ...stoner for sure.

Early Yes, like "Tales from Topographic Oceans" was stoner too. Most of that hit me like Beethoven. Didn't go down so well at first... it had to grow on you. And as good as they all were, you did have to be stoned to appreciate it.

Something about "taking a face from the ancient gallery and walking down the hall" should earn the Doors a mention.

Edit: OOPS: Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane...

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.