'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
This will be the single greatest video you will see all year. :)

After I'd finished editing this together and attempting to sync it with the sound I realised "Wow, I really am one sad b*&£"$d!" I think its pretty cool though :D

Video of me spraying(click to download 15.6Mb)

Its fairly big but the cheese factor makes it all worthwhile. :)

This is a divx movie file so you'll need the divx codec if you don't already have it. You'll need to drag and drop this onto your media player most likely, you can try double clicking but it does nothing for me.

Enjoy.

*LOL* Ant, you have far too much time on your hands. ;)

What surprises me is how many passes you make. Having moved from that turbine to compressed air, I've found the improved atomisation means you make more passes, laying down finer, but much more even, coats. Is that what's happening in your vid (i.e. those new guns you've got lay down a really thin coat)? I'm pretty certain I'd get some running of the paint if I did the same.

BTW One useful thing I've found - a pair of safety goggles don't half reduce the amount of paint that ends up on your glasses!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by sploo *LOL* Ant, you have far too much time on your hands. ;)

I really have very little to say in my defense. Me a mate did nothing but laugh for 35 minutes whilst we edited it together. My stomach still hurts.

What surprises me is how many passes you make. Having moved from that turbine to compressed air, I've found the improved atomisation means you make more passes, laying down finer, but much more even, coats. Is that what's happening in your vid (i.e. those new guns you've got lay down a really thin coat)? I'm pretty certain I'd get some running of the paint if I did the same.

Thats the Iwata you see in action there and its spraying clearcoat. As you can see the atomisation is excellent and it lays paint down wet but not so thick as you'd risk runs. Again that's the another difference between the really nice guns and the budget ones. Each pass builds up a thin film. If you look in the reflection in the top of the baffle you can clearly see the film going down and the overlap I use. In total I normally do 7 coats, the video shows just one, and there's a 15 minute flash time between each.

BTW One useful thing I've found - a pair of safety goggles don't half reduce the amount of paint that ends up on your glasses!

I agree and that why the specs were an old pair. I remember when I first started doing this, got a load of overspray on my best pair of glasses and then washed them in harsh gun wash thinner. They had plastic lenses and it attacked them... ended up having to fit new lenses!

Wow, this really brings a whole new element to DIY speakers. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that pictures are probably my favorite part about DIY audio. Videos bring a whole different element to the experience of viewing someone else's project. I don't think it's a half bad idea for people to take walk-around videos of their project at various stages and then at completion. It makes the whole thing seem more real and I think gives you a better idea about proportion and real shape.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
I think I speak for everyone here when I say that pictures are probably my favorite part about DIY audio.

Here's the photo's.

The colour is pearl white over a white basecoat. Gives off a soft and warm glow in domestic lighting whilst being erm... pearl like in sunlight.

Nice classy colour that the camera finds impossible to capture correctly. Looks better up close and personal than it does in these shots.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
I guess maybe you are a little nervous to finish building them in case they don't sound as good as you hope. I certainly feel that way when I have invested a lot of money and time in a project.

I think all the colours have looked great!

I don't think its that, sure they're taking a long while but its just that I want everything to be as near to perfect as possible - the sound, the looks, the fit and finish.

I too have liked all the colours and my favourites such as the silver and titanium are the ones I'd have settled on. Unfortunately I'm still having joint creep back and that's even through the veneer. Its only very slight but its easy to see on these bright metallics. So relectantly they have been dismissed.

Flat colours work brilliantly and don't show the problem at all but they just don't look as good as the metallics.

The latest colour is a flat white basecoat overcoated with a transparent pearl white. It not a metallic but its no longer a flat colour either. The pearl isn't one of those colour shifting types, its more like a filter for the white basecoat and in different light you see the white change into warmer hues with a very faint brilliance. Difficult colour and effect to describe and even harder to photograph. The important thing is that it won't show the minor problems I was talking about before.

So as much as this has been about finding an attractive colour its also been about finding one thats unfussy yet still attractive.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lets proceed with your plans of how to cross and voice the stereo pair.
You have a woofer mounted low and one mounted high, this one is tricky without floor coupling. Plus PITA MTM, plus transition from plastic cones to Serbian fresh country air RAAL, another tricky job to get the ambient sound right.
Painting job is excellent, brilliant, mega! ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.