'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ackcheng said:
What happened to the LGT? So quiet here?

Hi Ackcheng,

I'm still quietly working away on them and its great now the decent weather has finally arrived here in the UK. There's lots of spraying to do so fingers crossed it stays like that too.

I should have something to show in the near future including yet another change of colour for the baffles - this really is the final colour :rolleyes: ;)

ha ha ha

just noticed your new cat picture! LOVE it.

Like everyone else here, am avidly waiting on any installments as they come.

By the way Shinobiwan, I asked you over on AVS once about the four peerless xls design you did, and you kindly put all the pictures back up for me if you might recall (and I think Sploo (?) was going to do something with them too?), I've finally started mucking about with them and so far I like the results I'm getting, so thanks for 're-lighting' my fire on these drivers I had laying around.

Didn't want you left with any idea that the effort you took in helping me went un-used or un-appreciated.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
terry j said:
ha ha ha

just noticed your new cat picture! LOVE it.

Hi again Terry, good to see you here

Heh, made me chuckle when I saw so stole it from someone on another forum :)

By the way Shinobiwan, I asked you over on AVS once about the four peerless xls design you did, and you kindly put all the pictures back up for me if you might recall (and I think Sploo (?) was going to do something with them too?), I've finally started mucking about with them and so far I like the results I'm getting, so thanks for 're-lighting' my fire on these drivers I had laying around.

Didn't want you left with any idea that the effort you took in helping me went un-used or un-appreciated.

Glad the XLS stuff was useful.

terry j said:
...four peerless xls design you did, and you kindly put all the pictures back up for me if you might recall (and I think Sploo (?) was going to do something with them too?), I've finally started mucking about with them and so far I like the results I'm getting...

Hi Terry, what route are you taking with the XLS10s?

I've taken a quick look into suitable usage (other than open baffle at this time) and everything seems to point to using them with the matched passive radiators.

I've not had time to actually do anything with them yet, but I have an idea to make a pair of subs, probably 30-40l, each with a single XLS10 and a single 10" passive. End goal would be to use them up to 100-120Hz in a three way system, with a 7" midbass and a tweeter... but that's a long time away!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
OK, nothing folks haven't seen before but it is progress. This is the 3rd mid/bass cabinet to be completed leaving just one more to go.

Wet sanding the cabinet (and creating a real mess at the same time):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wet sanding complete and ready to buff. I used to do the polishing all by hand but have been practising with the electric polisher and I'm now confident enough to use it without wrecking the paint. What used to take around 3 hours of hard work now takes less than an hour with the polisher and virtually no effort whatsoever. It'd be tough to go back to doing all that by hand, although I'd probably do so for the baffles as there's more finesse needed on the awkward shapes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After polishing

Shiney!

The rest of the stuff awaiting spraying:

New toys! :) I've been wanting better finishing results so have moved to a 3 gun setup with each dedicated and tailored to one particular stage of coating. With the new guns the compressor has also had to be upgraded to provide a greater amount of air. Finally, the paint brands and types have been changed for the better too.
After all this I've noted the quality has noticeably improved and particularly the amount finishing work has been reduced because of more uniform coatings at all stages. The new guns are taking a bit of getting used to though.

From left to right: SATA Jet RP (clearcoat gun), Iwata W400-WB (basecoat gun), AirGunsa AZ3 HTE (primer gun)

New vs. old compressor

New paints: Nexa Clearcoat and Primer with Lechler waterbased basecoat. BTW That's the tidiest you'll ever see those shelves!

Its not related to this projected but aside from doing the speakers I just got done with spraying and polishing a new bonnet for my old man after he damaged the one on his car. Spraying car body parts is much less hassle than MDF! Turned out really well:

sploo said:

Hi Terry, what route are you taking with the XLS10s?

I've taken a quick look into suitable usage (other than open baffle at this time) and everything seems to point to using them with the matched passive radiators.

I've not had time to actually do anything with them yet, but I have an idea to make a pair of subs, probably 30-40l, each with a single XLS10 and a single 10" passive. End goal would be to use them up to 100-120Hz in a three way system, with a 7" midbass and a tweeter... but that's a long time away!

Hi sploo

glad to see my memory has not failed me completely and indeed it was you ha ha.

Look, I wouldn't waste your time asking ME question on usage!~!!;) ;)

No, from Shinos winter project write up IIRC correctly something he said was along the lines of kinda ignore the modelling, they work fine in sealed (or something approximating that).

I always intended to have four a side so I just built rough (did I say rough?) test boxes, I think the first one was around 50 l for two in the box, with the idea that if they sounded like they may be struggling or whatever then 50l was around the size that I could then only have one driver and port it, so the box would not be wasted if you get what I mean.

I ONLY use the stereo for music, so others will have different needs but I quickly came to the idea that going sealed will be more than adequate for my needs (in terms of output I mean).

Then I decided rather than have all four drivers aside up front with/in the mains, I could split the subs into four boxes of two rather than two boxes of four, then I could also experiment with multiple sub placement in the room as discussed by Floyd Toole.

All that sort of drunken nebulous thinking governed my decisions regarding box numbers and size etc.

For me the absolutely most important question has been answered with my tests, even as late as last night, and that was overcoming the integration problems of adding a sub to a three way using a deqx (which only does three discrete channels), and it looks like I've cracked that nut and so far the XlS in sealed boxes will do fine.

Not much help there for you, I'm not a designer!!! I'm a follower of others ha ha.

Oh yeah, just noticed you want to use them up to 100 hz or so. I only plan to use them up to 80 hz myself, so have no comment on your bit. My 18's ( Pro drivers) don't really go low, with insane boost I can get them to 29 hz in-room. After hearing a friends Orians I fell in love with the open baffle bass, so I just finished and fired up an OB test baffle (heard it last night for the first time). The 18's don't go real low, boy do you think they want to go low OB??!!??

So using a splitter from the bass output of the deqx into a DCX 2496 then to the sub I can pretty well integrate the sub up to 80 hz which the 18 can do OK in OB with of course the deqx handling all the details I'm too dumb to do myself. So, I only use them to 80hz, but really couldn't imagine them not working just a tad higher.

I came across this thread yesterday morning, and scanned through it quickly, as there's a lot of material. All I can say is 'wow' and it's given me a ton of ideas and inspiration for the large speakers I'm going to build over the next year or so.

I also like the Rockport Arrakis and was coing to use that as part of the aesthetic inspiration, though I'm going down a bit of a different path with driver selection. My boxes will be larger and I'll be using a 15 / 8 / 1"CD+ waveguide. In electromechanical desing, closely aligned with the Dunlavy SC VI and the Duntech Sovereign.

A local panelbeater said he'd do the final detail finish and paint them for me for reasonable cost if I gave him a few weeks to do it.

Ant - the work is looking good as always. Just pop those guns in the post to me would ya. ;)

Terry - thanks for the info. Yea, I've read a few articles noting the advantages of multiple smaller subs (as opposed to one big one).

I was planning to make two subs (each XLS10 + 10" passive), which would sit under two way 7" midbass/tweeter boxes. Not really worked much of it out yet though.

sploo said:
Yea, I've read a few articles noting the advantages of multiple smaller subs (as opposed to one big one).

Note it's not actually smaller subs that is they key - basically speaker bigger subs are better. The key thing is multiple subs.

More than one sub allows you more placement options to even out the response that will be not optimal with a single sub due to room modes etc.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
...so what is the new baffle colour? Or have I read right over it?

Brown... :D

Its another Ferrari colour that goes by the name of Grigio Titaneo. Its a mica grey(a mica is a metallic but with finer particles)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.