'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
richie00boy said:

Note it's not actually smaller subs that is they key - basically speaker bigger subs are better. The key thing is multiple subs.

More than one sub allows you more placement options to even out the response that will be not optimal with a single sub due to room modes etc.

Yea, I was indicating that if you have four XLS10 drivers, then four subs, each with a single XLS10, would probably be better than one monster sub with four XLS10s. Of course, four monster subs, each with four XLS10s would be... loud.

ShinOBIWAN said:

By that are you saying fullrange speakers are preferable compared to letting subs cover a larger portion of the range? Maybe just using them to augmenting the very bottom octave?

As Rich indicated, the reason for using multiple subs is that you can even out bass response. There's some info on multiple sub placement at the following link: http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/subwoofer-placement-the-place-for-bass-part-1

Somewhere on Audioholics there is a much better article, specifically on multiple sub placement, that looks at the optimal number of units (4 IRC), and positioning (but I can't find it right now).

There probably is a good argument to use speakers down to, say, 80-100Hz, then use multiple subs for everything below that - as you can place all the units in places that will give the best response.

Remember I've done a fair bit of room treatment and measurement.. though admittedly not with subs.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
Isn't that going to look pretty much the same as you started out with the silver? I like the red and black!

Its going to be a similar but darker hue and less pronounced. I'm hoping it will providing less of a contrast with the black and blend more.

Its too late for this project but I'm just getting into the custom painting side of things. I tried my hand at it for the first time today but it didn't go particularly well. It was a checker pattern with a transparent orange colour fade over a coarse silver metallic integrated into 50% of the checks alternating with black checks on the other 50%.

Did I say it didn't go very well? It looked poor because I hadn't masked correctly, I hadn't used the right masking tape as it lifted the paint in places when removed and I was using a full size gun instead of a detailing gun so had overspray all over the place. I can see the potential though and these things come with practice. I'll certainly post something when the results justify it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I applied the baffle colour today and was a little disappointed after spraying a few test coats onto scraps of inkjet photo paper. This grey mica that I'm using is nice looking under direct or sun light but looks like primer in regular domestic light - not good.

To save face, and not begin a colour swap shop, I added 75g of Auto Air 200micron sparklies per 1ltr of the grey mica. The result was much better after that. Its not in your face but adds a little something to an otherwise overly subdued metallic grey.

In spot light or direct light the baffles look interesting but not overly overt and in low light the baffles virtually disappear and attract no attention, which is perfect for late night, quite listening where you'll want to hear and not see the speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In direct sunlight the sparkle is fairly intense, I tried to capture it with the camera in these two shots but it just looks like a wash of white rather than the shimmering surface the eye sees.

Here's a shot taken with the flash to highlight the sparkle particles that have been added to the paint. It never looks this over the top to the eye but thought I'd take that shot just to give you an idea of what's going on.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Rather than mess anyone around I've uploaded the video to one of those free hosting services. Thanks for the offers though. :cheers:

Baffle Video(1.7Mb)

Gloss Video(3.3Mb)

I've used the divx codec to compress the files down and still maintain OK quality.

Just one note: You'll probably need to drag and drop the file onto your media player of choice as double click probably won't do anything. I think most computers come with the divx codec as standard now. If not you can download and install ffdshow.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
That black one is mega glossy! :O

Good work, I think those new paints and new guns do make a difference, even just judging from pictures, the baffles look great.

Thanks Simon :)

MJL21193 said:
The Big Time, Ant. Amazing.:cool:

Why thank ye, kind sir :)

salas said:
Excellent finishing skills. How come and you don't have a wooden floor?

Cheers Salas. There's carpet and wood floors in other rooms in the house, its just that one with the slate. Its a bit cold on bare feet in winter mornings!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.