Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.

Anyways, long story short, it appears that my model of the DE25 is off by an order of magnitude.
Despite all this, I'm still sticking to my hypothesis, that:
1) Given two horn with a mouth size that's equivalent but a wall angle that varies, the horn with the narrower angle will have higher on-axis output in the passband. (Hoffman's Iron Law)
2) Due to the increase in output, the horn with the narrower angle can be crossed over lower, if the output requirements are the same. Or it can play louder if the xover point is fixed.
3) Due to the challenge in getting the mids to play high in a Unity horn, a narrow angle Unity horn offers some advantages over a wide angle Unity horn.
Patrick,

Good to see you found the reason for your gross simulation errors, I was beginning to think you had inhaled a bit to many fiberglass fumes ;).

1) Yes, the far larger narrow dispersion horn will have more on axis output.
Some folks, like yourself, don't want a four foot deep cabinet.
2) Yes, given the same output requirements, the HF on the far larger horn could be crossed lower, as could a far larger wide dispersion horn.
3)A narrow angle horn does not allow the mids to play any higher, and anything from 50 x 50 to a 100 x 100 on a 28" or so square exit will allow a typical 1" exit driver to play loud enough to cause hearing damage in the 800 Hz range in the typical home listening environment.
An 8" cone driver can easily reach 800 Hz in an offset horn of the same dimension.

Looks like you have some extra HF drivers arriving soon:).

Art

just as a quick reality check: in my implementation of the unity concept, i had to pad the bms 1inch compression driver down about 12dB to equal the 4x 6inch mids. Crossover is 1khz, mid entry points are about 10cm away from the compression driver exit, 45 by 45 degree angle, 2500 square cm mouth. these are really crazy loud for home cinema, making the power output of the behringer A500, which i use to power the subs, the limiting variable of the system by far.

just as a quick reality check: in my implementation of the unity concept, i had to pad the bms 1inch compression driver down about 12dB to equal the 4x 6inch mids. Crossover is 1khz, mid entry points are about 10cm away from the compression driver exit, 45 by 45 degree angle, 2500 square cm mouth. these are really crazy loud for home cinema, making the power output of the behringer A500, which i use to power the subs, the limiting variable of the system by far.

Hey MaVo

Out of curiosity:

Which compression ratio do you use for the 6"ers (i.e. the midrange port area?)

/Thomas

two ports per driver, both 8mm diameter inside the horn and maybe 3-4cm diameter on the driver facing side, making it a round conical column of air. i think i could have made them bigger on the horn inside without affecting the sound quality of the compression driver, but this works too, at least up to home cinema reference level. (never listened louder.)
Edit: cone area 100cm² per driver. wood 15mm thick.

Last edited:
I found where the error is. It's because I'm using hornresp to simulate the compression driver, and the value of VAS is at the limit of what hornresp allows. (0.01 liters)

Hi Patrick Bateman,

Would it be worth considering lowering the Vas limit in Hornresp, or is this just a "one-off" compression driver design exercise on your part?

Kind regards,

David

two ports per driver, both 8mm diameter inside the horn and maybe 3-4cm diameter on the driver facing side, making it a round conical column of air. i think i could have made them bigger on the horn inside without affecting the sound quality of the compression driver, but this works too, at least up to home cinema reference level. (never listened louder.)
Edit: cone area 100cm² per driver. wood 15mm thick.

This means that you're using a compression ratio of 25/1; or does the conical shape somehow compensate for the relatively small exit holes?

This means that you're using a compression ratio of 25/1; or does the conical shape somehow compensate for the relatively small exit holes?

Harman has a great paper on loudspeaker ports, and one of the things noted in the paper was that bowtie shaped ports performed very well.

So basically a port that's shaped like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

works better than a port that's shaped like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now a horn is not a port, of course. But this is still air we're talking about, and if you think about the air path in the horn, it's basically a giant version of that bowtie shape above.

IE:

big volume of air ---> necks down to small volume of air ---> expands to giant volume of air

big - small - big

Also, they found that the 'bowtie' shape shouldn't be symmetric. It should neck DOWN faster than it necks back UP. And if you think about it, that's what the frustum is doing, as it feeds the conical horn.

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20130415/11094.pdf

"When designing a port for maximum acoustical output,
both the inlet and the exit fluid dynamics should be
balanced. The geometry for best exit flow is different from
that for inlet flow. Inlet flow is best with a very large taper
(NFR close to 1.0). For exit flow a very slow taper is best
(NFR closer to 0). This points to an NFR of 0.5 as the optimum."

I stumbled across this paper while trying to reverse engineer (what else) another Danley box: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/226235-featherweight-title-fight.html#post3296900

Last edited:
Harman has a great paper on loudspeaker ports, and one of the things noted in the paper was that bowtie shaped ports performed very well.

So basically a port that's shaped like this:

works better than a port that's shaped like this:

Now a horn is not a port, of course. But this is still air we're talking about, and if you think about the air path in the horn, it's basically a giant version of that bowtie shape above.

IE:

big volume of air ---> necks down to small volume of air ---> expands to giant volume of air

big - small - big

Also, they found that the 'bowtie' shape shouldn't be symmetric. It should neck DOWN faster than it necks back UP. And if you think about it, that's what the frustum is doing, as it feeds the conical horn.

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20130415/11094.pdf

"When designing a port for maximum acoustical output,
both the inlet and the exit fluid dynamics should be
balanced. The geometry for best exit flow is different from
that for inlet flow. Inlet flow is best with a very large taper
(NFR close to 1.0). For exit flow a very slow taper is best
(NFR closer to 0). This points to an NFR of 0.5 as the optimum."

Thank you, Patrick. Must give it a read.

/Thomas

I would love to see this if its not too much trouble. While we are discussing this, it would be great to get one more decimal place for the input fields.

Hi JLH,

The Vas minimum limit will be lowered to 0.001 litres (1 cubic centimetre) in the next release. I'm not sure though, how appropriate it really is to be describing a compression driver in terms of Thiele-Small parameters :).

Unfortunately, changing all the input parameter fields on the main screen to three decimal places is not a practical proposition at this stage.

Kind regards,

David

2) In the sims I've placed a red vertical line that indicates where the throat reflection is expected. For instance, it's expected at 850hz with a 10cm 'tap.' In the hornresp sims, we see that the notch occurs higher in frequency than predicted and the location of the notch depends on wall angle.

Any explanation as to why the "1/4 wave reflection notch" is up higher in frequency than expected?

Maybe because the reflected sound has a wavelength much bigger than the 1" horn throat? Will the reflection occur at a certain area as related to wavelength?

If the throat is tiny, how far up the horn does a pressure wave travel before it reflects back towards the mouth?

Increased flare angle

A question about the increased flare angle on the last ~1/3 of the Synergy horn:

How large is the angle increase, it does not this seem to be a fixed angle ratio? - What I mean is: some designs employ a 50% increase, others much less. Is it more a trial and error thing?

/Thomas

Last edited:
A question about the increased flare angle on the last ~1/3 of the Synergy horn:

How large is the angle increase, it does not this seem to be a fixed angle ratio? - What I mean is: some designs employ a 50% increase, others much less. Is it more a trial and error thing?

/Thomas
Trial and testing, available mouth space, horn depth, all play into the design, but as Don Keele wrote back in his AES paper "What's so sacred about exponential horns", approximately the last third of the conical section is roughly doubled.

So a 25 degree horn goes to around 50, a 60 to around 120, but as the main angle increases, the "break" angle does not need to go as wide, a 90 would not need to go to 180.

The additional angle does end up making the conical more exponential at low frequencies, increasing output over a conical.

Attachments

• Keele.png
    Keele.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 514
Trial and testing, available mouth space, horn depth, all play into the design, but as Don Keele wrote back in his AES paper "What's so sacred about exponential horns", approximately the last third of the conical section is roughly doubled.

So a 25 degree horn goes to around 50, a 60 to around 120, but as the main angle increases, the "break" angle does not need to go as wide, a 90 would not need to go to 180.

The additional angle does end up making the conical more exponential at low frequencies, increasing output over a conical.

Thank you again, Art.

Is it of upmost importance to widen both the horizontal and the vertical plane or can one just (for easy of build) increase the horizontal angle?

/Thomas