The under $100 challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are some plans on zaphaudio.com for under $100 speakers, but they don't offer the bass output to satisfy college students. And yes, I've heard them, even built the Hi-Vi 3" design myself. I already have great speakers, but I'm interested in building some cheap speakers with great bass output for some friends and family. I was thinking of mating the Hi-Vi 3BN to the Dayton RS225, but that exceeds the $100. The requirement is under-$100 not including cabinets, which are free to me. And high-output clean bass of course. The speakers need to be highly detailed, transparent, and low linear and nonlinear distortion. Also want a flat frequency response to at least 16kHz. Want decent power response. So... are you up to the challenge?

So... You want low distortion, great bass, flat to 16k, good power handling, all for less than 50$ in drivers and crossover parts per speaker?

So basically everything, for nothing? ;)

Well, you are going to have to make some serious concessions, but you can probably come up with something pretty satisfactory.

You may be hard pressed to beat something like this for less than 100$ bucks, Wayne is pretty darn good with the 'ultra budget' designs: http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/DBP/dbp.htm

peace,
sam

that's a very interesting design that I haven't seen before, but it uses a 5 1/4" woofer which wouldn't have the bass output I am looking for. It reminds me a lot of the Dayton BR-1 kit. I'm looking for a speaker with bass output comparable to what the Dayton RS225 can deliver.

It doesn't have to be $50 for each speaker, since I guess it can be kinda like the iPod HiFi with a single woofer and two "satellites". Maybe a single 8" woofer with 12mm xmax can do it.

And I never said I wanted it all, for nothing. After all it only needs to go flat up to 16kHz since it will be used to play mp3 music. I think it can be done, I just don't know how to do it so I need help. I don't want to build another fuzzy-sounding speaker. I want something that sounds really good.

I built a pair of Adire Bang! speakers myself this year (my first full build). The Bang! is a suprisingly good sounding speaker for the amount of money they cost. Bass is definately there all the way down to 40hz or so. I would fully recommend them, with the only concession being MCM seems to be out of the tweeters called for at the momment (don't know if they'll be back in stock soon, or if they're discontinued).

Just an idea... how about using the HiVi B3S along with the Dayton SD270 per speaker? Use a 2nd order xover at 500hz, and only wire one of the SD270s voice coils. Be sure to model the baffle step of the HiVi B3S, then cross the SD270 high enough so the B3S is only playing into half space. Total cost for drivers, notch filters, and crossovers should be around $100. Since the B3Ss will be crossed over so high you will have little chance of blowing them.

For added power handling you could wire both voice coils, but then you have problems. In parallel the impedance is too low for most receivers and they will be too loud for the B3Ss. In series they will be too quiet for the B3Ss, and the lowpass crossover will be more expensive.

Dan

crossing the HiVi B3S might be low.they are only 15 watts and college students will be blasting them.i suggest the silver flute 8" with the b3s crossed at 800-1000hz.and for a extra few dallor add the hi-vi t25 for a nice 3way.but that puts it over 100.00 and make it much more complicated

I'm making a standmount using the Dayton 7" aluminum cone. F3 in an EBS cab is 29Hz. I am trying to match it to a B&G Neo8 for mid and HF but maybe you can find something cheaper. Needs to cross around 700Hz ideally so a cheapo Mid dome and a cheapo tweeter might do.

Not quite under $100 but how about:

HI-VI TN25 FABRIC DOME TWEETER
HI-VI DMN-A SOFT DOME FABRIC MIDRANGE
DAYTON DA175-8 7" ALUMINUM CONE WOOFER

All x2 = $105

But you still need a crossover...

I think a two way is definately in order. 6 drivers + a lot more crossover components would not come under 100$ (and if it did, you'd have gotten such crap components that it wouldn't be worth the few benefits of three way).

Crossing the B3N at around 500 hz or up would be a good choice, and would help power handling quite a bit. The 'equal power' cutoff frequency for most program material is about 350hz, the bass is using 50% of the power, and the mid+high is using the other 50%.

At 500hz, the bass is using 60%, and the mid+high is using 40%. That means you can have somewhere around 40 watts of system power, or 96db of peak volume, even at the low sensitivity. Thats not too bad, but still possible to blow them.

peace,
sam

Everything for nothing...

What about a small fullrange plus woofer?
I think this will even sound good and be an easy load for the amplifier. The 10" Vifa should provide good deep bass :)

Saleprices at madisound.....
3" fullrange Aurasound NS3-194-8E $10.50
10" Woofer Vifa M26WR09-08 $32.00

Total $85

under $100...

er , I'd try the Pioneer *' fullrange"

As Mr. Pass has done testing on it , and definitely has an opinion about it (positive, particularly regarding price). $25 each at Parts Express.

Parameters are available. Cheap, pretty efficient, and a 20-40 watt amp (max) would drive then till the voice coild glow smilie(':cool:')

Build a box, BR or TL or OB and there ya go. Strictly on budget. If the top needs more, get some old Radio Shack/Motorola Piezo tweeters and you're in business. Still under the MAgic $100

You guys sure have some really nice ideas! But many of the ideas go over $100 when I consider the crossover and how many notches I would have to make to get a reasonably flat frequency response. Some of the suggestions have drivers that already go beyond the $100 limit.

The Hi-Vi 3" or Aura 3" with a cheap 8" or 10" woofer sounds like a great idea. But wouldn't it also be over $100 when low crossover points like 600Hz are used? I would imagine that since the woofers are more sensitive, they would have to be notched down. At least I think BSC can be avoided here with some creativity.

That Pioneer driver looks sweet~! I am definately considering this... how big a box would it need? You guys think it'll do the treble well enough? I don't really need the extension, but it should still do the treble with smoothness and detail. Sibiliance is my biggest compliant with cheap commercial speakers so I want to avoid that.

I haven't heard this combo but It looks good for the money I was looking at the dayton da-175-8 7" aluminum woofer at pe for $18.15 and the hivi tn-25 fabric dome tweeter also from pe for $8.28 This combo on paper looks like it might come close to your wishes and gives a pretty good bufrfer for crossovers and notch filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.