The under $100 challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Nanook

I see what you're saying. OTOH, if you want really cheap, how about a pair of Pyle Pro PPA8 8" P.A. Speaker drivers from PartsExpress. At US$19.80 each these are really cheap. On the baffle for the 'Really Cheap Design' idea (1.2 meters (about 4 ft.) tall by 350mm (about 13.8") broad), the bass response will be 50Hz @ 104.5dB and 60Hz @ 106dB, and this is with the driver mounted with a center point of 800mm. If you lower the center point that the driver is mounted at, the low bass increases a bit. Two of these plus a pair of Goldwood 3" x 7" wide dispersion piezo horn mid-tweeters at US$1.78 each, the total cost (excluding the baffles and XO components) will be a meager US$43.16. The XO components for the piezo tweeter will be cheap. The XO for the woofer might be more of a problem, but what do you expect for a little over $40???

A further alternative woofer is the Goldwood GW-208/8 8" OEM Woofer 8 Ohm at PartsExpress for a measly US$12.95 each, and US$11.55 each if you take four or more. Now if we take two of them (bass response specs, on the same baffle as the Pyle's mentioned above, is only slightly lower - around 1dB less at both points) and add the piezo tweeters, then the total cost for the drivers will be only US$29.46! Lower than this you can hardly go, surely! Even using two drivers in parallel per side, the cost will still only be US$49.76! I would suggest cotdt takes on on hese ideas and build it, and then play with the XO until he's satisfied. By that time he should have enough money saved up to buy a pair of Goldwood GW-215/40/8 15" OEM woofers to fill in the lower bass. He could even add a few tweaks like rope caulk (sp?) on the driver baskets and some damar varnish to the cones (of both the mid-bass and the piezo tweeter). With these tweaks the sonics could become quite acceptable, even good. Miraculous for the price anyway. Just my $0.02.

Enjoy,
Deon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.