C37 ingredient guessing

OK. So supposing I developed a way of doing a job, or making a thing at a tenth of the cost to everybody else. Should I only charge a tenth the money? No, I'll charge 50% in the knowledge that my cleverness needs rewarding and gain some market.
Then somebody (SY ;)) comes along and publishes my formula, and everybody undercuts me.
Is that fair or ethical?

Of course I'm a snake oil skeptic, and playing devils advocate, but do you agree?

dhaen said:
OK. So supposing I developed a way of doing a job, or making a thing at a tenth of the cost to everybody else. Should I only charge a tenth the money? No, I'll charge 50% in the knowledge that my cleverness needs rewarding and gain some market.
Then somebody (SY ;)) comes along and publishes my formula, and everybody undercuts me.
Is that fair or ethical?

Of course I'm a snake oil skeptic, and playing devils advocate, but do you agree?

Fair? Yes. We all know the rules. People analyze product all the time. They figure out ways of undercutting their competitors all the time. That's the free market, and that's why you've got a box that has more computing power than the biggest computers of 20 years ago sitting under your desk and costing you about $500.

Ethical? That's mighty subjective. To me, yes. If a product is freely available, no reason that people shouldn't figure out what's in it by legitimate means (e.g., analysis, not things like stealing the formula from someone's desk).

Hmm SY,

Don’t know. You were in the ink business wasn’t it. Well I am in the business that develops industrial printers for coding the variable codes on the stuff you buy in a supermarket. A difficult ink is one that prints on non-porous surfaces like glass an metal and is also environmental friendly. There is one manufacturer that makes a good ink for that. Of course we have analysed that ink and we know exactly how to copy it. But if we do, for sure we can expect an army of lawyers at our front door.

Cheers ;)