ESS Heil AMT dump

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wow ...... I arrive home yesterday to find these sitting on my front porch, with a note saying " Saw you unloading speakers one day. Giving you these for free. The best speakers ever made. Needs repair.

I have NO clue who dropped them off. I live in the woods and mountains, and neighbors can't see my house even. LOL

27772506299_ee5c5549eb_c.jpg
[/url]20180106_130450 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Is that actually a woofer that's left, or a passive radiator?

I think the idea of fixing up things like this is cool, but then you are kind of controlled by a project you didn't even want, didn't envision, and find yourself spending money on something that may or may not be worth much in the end.

See what parts you have that work first. Maybe you can steal the tweets for a future 2-way project.

Best,

E

Is that actually a woofer that's left, or a passive radiator?

I think the idea of fixing up things like this is cool, but then you are kind of controlled by a project you didn't even want, didn't envision, and find yourself spending money on something that may or may not be worth much in the end.

See what parts you have that work first. Maybe you can steal the tweets for a future 2-way project.

Best,

E

I tested them, and they work, except the passive radiators ... not sure why, LOL. The passive cones are laying inside the cabinets. Technically repair is just a pair of $5 foam surrounds. But I wouldn't personally want them when finished. They would have to be wanted pretty badly too, for anyone to pay shipping! These weigh a ton. So I will probably just remove the parts. The AMT is crazy efficient, I assume. As these played LOUDLY when I tested them, with just barely any volume turned up.
If you could find a larger driver that could cross smoothly around 4000, for a loud as hell 2 way, I'd say go for it. The AMTs sounded thin to my ears, below about 4000.

I had speakers with that tweeter years ago. The tweeters are probably crossed over at 1500hz 1st order. They are rather nice. Please do not trash. I killed one tweeter due to amplifier oscillation.

1500hz is probably a bit high for a 10 inch woofer. Would be much better in a 3 way or 2.5 way.

Maybe offer on craigslist and only let someone who sounds like they will not trash them have a go.

These were before my time in the hobby. Pre 85'. I know NOTHING about them. Should I just trash them ?

Here in Argentina, in the decade of 70 ´s , i work with the representative of ESS .

We sold hundreds of those cabinets, ( PS-4 ) and all the other models.
We even had a pair of AMT-6, tremendous monsters.

They deserve an arrangement, I would never throw them away, I do not share that they are " the best speakers that have ever been made ", but they were very good and the tweeter very soft and warm. Maybe too much for my taste...:)

YouTube

Just found the info on these speakers :

Specifications
Type: 2 way, 3 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 35Hz to 24kHz
Power Handling: 160W
Crossover Frequency: 2400Hz
Impedance: 6Ω
Sensitivity: 96dB
Bass Radiator: 1 x 254mm cone
Bass: 1 x 254mm cone
Tweeter: 1 x Heil air motion transformer
Grille: dark brown
Finish: oak
Dimensions: 889 x 317.5 x 308mm
Weight: 22kg

There is NO WAY these ever played close to 35hz, unless they were 20db down.

Well, these seem nicer than I thought.

If you keep them, they are worth learning with. :) You can learn to analyze speakers with them. Measure the tweeter and woofer outputs, acoustic distance and reverse engineer the crossover. :)

I don't always believe in the value of things, but I always believe in the value of learning.

If you can fix them up for $14 a pair, and learn all about the crossovers and drivers while you are at it then they are very much worthwhile.

E

The xovers are nothing more than simple coils/cap. After further research, the passive radiators were trashed. It would cost closer to $50. And I'd rather place that towards a computer based speaker program to learn with. Like PE's.
I have exactly 4 more pairs of speakers to build, after the Scan/Raal computer monitors. I'd rather learn building those.

The tweeters weigh a ton though. Maybe better made than I thought. But I have ZERO clue if they sound as good as today's decent tweeters. If they did, with their efficiency, they would make a nasty two way, with a REAL woofer on bottom.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can't make any assessment of woofer performance without repairing the passive radiators as they are not loaded properly without them, at best you would gain the sort of impression you have. Not sure whether it is worth your while to fix or not. They were decent in their day and probably did make it (barely perhaps) to 35Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.