Ben's "Hi-Marks" Fullranger + Isodynamic Tweeter 2-Way Build Thread - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2015, 05:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Ben's "Hi-Marks" Fullranger + Isodynamic Tweeter 2-Way Build Thread

This is a build thread for the as yet unfinished speaker I have dubbed "Hi-Marks."

A 2-way consisting of Markaudio Alpair 10.2 and Hi-Vi RT1.3WE Isodynamic Tweeter.

Target crossover frequency is around 3Khz.

Cabinet volume is approximately 0.6 cubic foot / 17 litres with internal dimensions of approximately 13.7" H x 5.75" W x 13.3" D. The sides and top/bottom are 1-1/8" thick consisting of 3/4" void-free baltic birch ply and 3/8" veneered particleboard. The front baffle is just the 3/4" BB ply but it is relatively narrow and supported on all edges so it should be strong. There is no bracing as that would probably be overkill for such a relatively small cabinet with thick, rigid walls and the goal is to keep this relatively simple on the woodworking front.

The tuning is 41 Hz with two 1" ports PE # 260-470.

I have made some progress on the cabinets.

Photos:

Click the image to open in full size.

The current plan is to finish the front baffle with leather texture black vinyl, install 1/2" blue cotton insulation, glue the baffles in, mount the drivers and two sets of binding posts per speaker. I plan on an external passive crossover.

The next step after that will be to measure the drivers in the cabinets in order to generate .frd files for crossover design. For the impedance .zma files I'll probably just use the manufacturer's data per Paul Carmody's guide.

Once I get my crossover design together over the next couple of weeks, I'd appreciate all of your opinions and help on it.

Last edited by Ben_Tech; 24th May 2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 25th May 2015, 01:16 AM   #2
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

-looks good.

Consider using your computer for prototyping crossovers (actual crossovers, not models).. (..I think there are even some "free" and "trial" software applications available for this.)
Old 25th May 2015, 02:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott, Once I have the frd files for my in-cabinet driver response plus the zma from manufacturer's data, I planned to use Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover Designer spreadsheet. Loudspeaker Design Software

Edit ; Oh, I just realized you probably meant a digital crossover using the computer's sound card. I'm not sure I want to get into that. But I will check out the options.

Last edited by Ben_Tech; 25th May 2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 25th May 2015, 02:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post

Edit ; Oh, I just realized you probably meant a digital crossover using the computer's sound card.
Yup!

Just using two channels for a single loudspeaker to listen to the effects in mono.
Old 25th May 2015, 04:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Crossover optimization and DIY loudspeaker measurement

Not tried it, but it might work for you.

If you need a cheap calibrated mic - this is the least expensive: Dayton Audio iMM-6.

To MOD's.. for some reason I'm not getting right-click in either reply box. Makes posting a link a royal pain in the @ss!

Last edited by ScottG; 25th May 2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 25th May 2015, 04:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
To MOD's.. for some reason I'm not getting right-click in either reply box. Makes posting a link a royal pain in the @ss!
Seems to be working again!
Old 25th May 2015, 05:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I bought a Dayton UMM-6 for myself last Christmas and I'm fairly familiar with REW so I'll use that. I don't think I need a capacitor on the tweeter to measure as I can set the start frequency in REW, maybe 2500 Hz although in the tooltip it says "sweep lowest frequency is half the start frequency" so maybe I better try 5000Hz. Not sure if that will work all right as the measurement data would be wrong below the start frequency but it would be wrong with a cap on there too.....
Old 25th May 2015, 05:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

More on the above, I see on the manufacturer's data sheet for the Rt1.3WE that there is response information down to 1K on their graph. So maybe a 2K start or 3K start frequency (corresponding to 1K and 1.5K respectively) for the measurement sweep in REW would be OK at low volume levels. I hope.
Old 25th May 2015, 05:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post
More on the above, I see on the manufacturer's data sheet for the Rt1.3WE that there is response information down to 1K on their graph. So maybe a 2K start or 3K start frequency (corresponding to 1K and 1.5K respectively) for the measurement sweep in REW would be OK at low volume levels. I hope.
If you define "low", maybe the system could be better calibrated.
As I read, REW is not able to do the "gating" or "subtract flight time" so it's not right software for the duty. Unless you put speakers in an anechoic room
Old 25th May 2015, 10:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
As I read, REW is not able to do the "gating" or "subtract flight time" so it's not right software for the duty. Unless you put speakers in an anechoic room
You can get a "gated" measurement with REW: Loudspeaker measurements

However I think close mic on the driver would eliminate room interference. I am thinking of facing the speaker up and hanging the mic over it. Although I don't know if I'd lose baffle step info by close mic'ing.

Hide this!Advertise here!