Devore Orangutan Clone?

I don't have the A26 but I think it's going to be close in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

If you like a tube sound + ensemble band music with lots going on, I think it'd be neat. If you're into contemporary electronica, I don't think that's what they're about. Then again, with heavily processed music, I'm not sure there is a best speaker, tbh. I didn't get to hear them with orchestral, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very hard to compare. Different systems, totally different rooms.

The spirit of the clones is similar for sure.

My A26 are still breaking in. They have turned a tad bass heavy in the last few hours of playing. I will give them some more time to settle and adjust my cabinet tuning if needs be.

Right now I have tennis balls stuffed in the ports for a sealed alignment. The cabinet is just about perfect for a sealed alignment.
Interesting how subtle the effect is sealed-vs-ported on this design.

Reactions: 1 user
I think low order crossover can help making the music sound more alive. Even 2nd order can suck the life out of the speaker compared to 1st order. I tried it with my midrange horns recently.

Bass will be less heavy and bloated if you seal the port. Almost a requirement with the A26, IMHO.

I love mine.
IMG_20220713_033349_891.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Orangutan exterior dimensions. Three 1" dowel braces front to rear around the woofer. Shelf brace 1/3 of the way from the bottom. 19mm BB throughout. Hate mdf dust. 2 ports in the bottom 2.5 x 7.

Woofer has a 1.0 mh 18ga coil only. Tweeter is 3.9ohm into 8.2uf, followed by RL shunt that is 6.8ohm-. 68mh and shunt after that shunt of. 56mh.

I found the more complex xo superior to various XOs that let the woofer go.

I have the xo external, because I am never done.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Dualuxe,

I know it's been a couple of years, but I'm wondering if you are still around and using these speakers.

Looking at your box alignment: You have two 3" X 7.5" ports, which UniBox calculates to be around a 40hz tuning giving a fairly broad 4db bump centered around 55hz. This does look similar to what was measured in the Stereophile review.
Did you tune this by ear? Or were you guesstimating based on the O/96 measurements?

I tuned the ports by ear. I made 4 or 5 different lengths in the range and switched them out.

HI force,

I totally love the build you did. Are you still using and loving them?

Would you actually still recommend them for someone who loves the design and size to build them out?
Hi Wingand,

I am still using mine, and definitely recommend them. Very enjoyable speakers!

I have played around with more complicated crossovers a little bit, but still prefer Dualuxe's formula of running the woofer full range, and on the tweeter only a 3.9uF cap and L-pad (voltage divider) composed of 15R parallel and 2R7 series. This is what I keep coming back to.
Not saying there isn't room for improvement, or that anyone else's build is not as good or better, but this is how I how I have found them to be most enjoyable so far.

Best regards,
John

Hey thanks for the kind replys.
So I read through the threat again.
What both of you used with the simple XO is the Seas A26RE4 woofer and Morel CAT378 tweeter correct?

24mm Baltic cabinet with OUTER dimensions of 28.75” H X 18” W X 12” D.
No bracing correct ?

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the kind replys.
So I read through the threat again.
What both of you used with the simple XO is the Seas A26RE4 woofer and Morel CAT378 tweeter correct?

24mm Baltic cabinet with OUTER dimensions of 28.75” H X 18” W X 12” D.
No bracing correct ?
The above is correct in reference to my build, except that I used 19mm baltic birch. Other people have built them slightly differently.

Whether or not to brace the cabinet is up to you. I did not because the Devore version is not braced, and I was curious how that would sound. It is definitely a parameter one could play around with to adjust the sound to one’s personal tastes.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member