Devore Orangutan Clone?

Shake n' bake. $14000, plz.
64527533_2197014867061598_4423637820334145536_n.jpg
s_seas_exotic_loudspeaker_woofer__x2-08_exotic_w8.jpg

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=345&Itemid=497
TS_Seas_Prestige_loudspeaker_woofer_H1411-08_A26RE4.jpg

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option...6re4&catid=44:utv-prestige-woofers&Itemid=238

I think the both versions sound so relaxed with enough midbass for most people. Without having heard any of these speakers other than on youtube, I fear those who uses 15" midbass woofers will think weak sauce.

Last edited:
I used a piece of 1x3 poplar as a brace between the front and back baffles about 3" beneath the woofer. On the back baffle directly behind the woofer is a 1" thick 6 pound fiberglass panel measuring about 14" square to reduce reflections back through the woofer. The remainder of the back baffle and the top, bottom and side walls are covered with 1.5 pound pink fiberglass. The dual ports are 3" ABS pipe 7.5" long.
Hi Dualuxe,

I know it's been a couple of years, but I'm wondering if you are still around and using these speakers.

Looking at your box alignment: You have two 3" X 7.5" ports, which UniBox calculates to be around a 40hz tuning giving a fairly broad 4db bump centered around 55hz. This does look similar to what was measured in the Stereophile review.
Did you tune this by ear? Or were you guesstimating based on the O/96 measurements?

I can see how this bump could provide some BSC-like FR shaping without sacrificing sensitivity.

Do you still use this speaker?
Have you done anything else you might share?

Regards,
John

Shake n' bake. $14000, plz.
View attachment 1008654 View attachment 1008655
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=345&Itemid=497 View attachment 1008656
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option...6re4&catid=44:utv-prestige-woofers&Itemid=238

I think the both versions sound so relaxed with enough midbass for most people. Without having heard any of these speakers other than on youtube, I fear those who uses 15" midbass woofers will think weak sauce.
wow
that upper speaker is north of 30K$
its such a poor deal, it hurts to consider.

Reactions: 1 users
I have tested the A26 and found the Seas W26FX002 has similar performance but with a stronger magnet and is more damped so handles more bass without going all floppy...
W26 is not fantastic for bass, but sounds cleaner than most other subwoofer drivers and I can use it with 2nd order filters because it just sounds so nice. Doubling up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without having heard any of these speakers other than on youtube, I fear those who uses 15" midbass woofers will think weak sauce.
I was interested in the orangutan design for a bit. The truth of the matter is that you will get better sound from a nice 8" crossed to a waveguided tweeter. Or two 6" in mtm.

Something like this is all you need: SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-4

The craftmanship is definitely there with Devore and I haven't heard them but I've learned to stick the fundamentals.
I have heard them, and met John DeVore at THE Show some years ago (when he still had hair). They sound...just...excellent. Excellently musical.
I'm not saying they're worth $14k.

I used to have some SB15NRX MTMs - what is the likelihood the SB23NRX is going to be better as a midwoofer? They're not on the same level as the custom Seas implemented in this design.

I posted in the other “Seas A26 Devore Style Build” thread, but thought I would cross post here because of the earlier cross-over discussion contained in this thread.

I finished a build using 24mm Baltic Birch. Cabinet measures 28.75” H X 18” W X 12” D (730 X 457 X 305mm) with two ports 2.375” (60mm) diameter by 5” long (127mm) for an FB of ~38Hz.

As per the Devore, there is no cabinet bracing, and I used minimal damping. I only used a single piece of 2” thick rigid fiberglass insulation 16” X 21” at the back of the cabinet. This seems roughly sufficient. I stuck my face in the woofer hole and spoke a few words into the empty cabinet, and heard no boxiness. I think think some amount of lively cabinet is part of the recipe.

As for crossover, I just tried Dualuxe’s earlier posted version with a 2.7R - 15R L-pad and 3.9uF cap on the tweeter. Woofer runs full range. (That is to say, there is no filter on the woofer.)

I will eventually try one of the other crossover suggestions, but even with this ultra simple crossover, I have just about what I was hoping to get. Very clear, good dynamics and ample bass.

A little rose-colored? Sure. But having heard the Devore’s, this is what I was hoping for. They make good recordings sound excellent, and bad recordings sound “interesting.”

Regards,
John

713915E7-401F-419A-8D53-083C8E8DCDA1.jpeg

Reactions: 11 users
Ha ha! Yes! That was unintentional, but does help to diminish their size in the room somewhat.

It was my very first attempt at veneering, despite doing lots of woodworking over the decades. I never wanted to invest in a vacuum set-up or build a veneer press.

It is a non-backed rosewood. I used the iron-on method, and it worked fairly okay. I got some cracking/splitting with the heat, but it seems securely attached.
Time will tell.

Regards,
John

The bump is intentional, I think. It gives the impression of BSC without losing sensitivity--as one one might adding BSC electronically.
Looking at the measurements in the Stereophile review, the FB of the Devore is roughly 42Hz. I opted for 38 Hz because it made the bump slightly wider and slightly shallower. It just looked better in the simulations-- if one was to look at it as pseudo-BSC.

But, long story short: Yes, I think the bump is part of the fun.

BTW- 38 X 24 X 14 is, actually, what I was originally inteding to build, until I listened to the commercial version and thought, "well, these are fine."
Doesn't mean I won't try it someday.

I posted in the other “Seas A26 Devore Style Build” thread, but thought I would cross post here because of the earlier cross-over discussion contained in this thread.

I finished a build using 24mm Baltic Birch. Cabinet measures 28.75” H X 18” W X 12” D (730 X 457 X 305mm) with two ports 2.375” (60mm) diameter by 5” long (127mm) for an FB of ~38Hz.

As per the Devore, there is no cabinet bracing, and I used minimal damping. I only used a single piece of 2” thick rigid fiberglass insulation 16” X 21” at the back of the cabinet. This seems roughly sufficient. I stuck my face in the woofer hole and spoke a few words into the empty cabinet, and heard no boxiness. I think think some amount of lively cabinet is part of the recipe.

As for crossover, I just tried Dualuxe’s earlier posted version with a 2.7R - 15R L-pad and 3.9uF cap on the tweeter. Woofer runs full range. (That is to say, there is no filter on the woofer.)

I will eventually try one of the other crossover suggestions, but even with this ultra simple crossover, I have just about what I was hoping to get. Very clear, good dynamics and ample bass.

A little rose-colored? Sure. But having heard the Devore’s, this is what I was hoping for. They make good recordings sound excellent, and bad recordings sound “interesting.”

Regards,
John

View attachment 1136810
Really nice looking speakers!

How do these compare to the originals, the Devore O/96?

Impressions and comparison from @motokok would be nice as well, since he also listened to the Devore's.

I wonder how much difference the phase plug and bigger magnet on the A26 makes.
Anyone know if the cone is the same as the regular A26?

How do these compare to the originals, the Devore O/96?

Impressions and comparison from @motokok would be nice as well, since he also listened to the Devore's.
It was a long time ago, but I recall it was near the end of my day traipsing around the show. I remember feeling fatigued and disappointed by many of the speaker demos I'd heard so far; lots of that modern, ultra-analytical DCS DAC + Wilson/Magico, bleached, sterile sound that leaves me cold.

Said hi to John and sat on a comfy seat in a simple, medium sized room. He was playing jazz and blues with tubes and vinyl.
All I can say is that even though those aren't my genres, and I didn't know what was being played, the music was just delightful to listen to; instruments sounded natural, vivid, and fluid. I wasn't led to think about audiophile things.

Closest I can compare them to is the Living Voice Auditorium. Even though the designs are different, what they both share is great synergy with tubes and vinyl, so with the right recording, music just pours out of them in an addicting way.

I wonder if the A26 evokes the same things.

Reactions: 1 user
Closest I can compare them to is the Living Voice Auditorium. Even though the designs are different, what they both share is great synergy with tubes and vinyl, so with the right recording, music just pours out of them in an addicting way.
Thank you for your thoughts about the Devore's motokok, I understand your comparison to the bleached sterile hifi :)
How do your clones compare withe the Devores, are they very close in sound quality and musicality?