Devore Orangutan Clone?

Our "Divorced" received many acclaims at the Horten 23 HiFi show DIY-apt. The XO is none of the above mentioned, my own spin-off.
An American couple where the wife is a musician stated that this was the system she thought sounded best on the show.
Others liked the big powerful system better, no surprise :)

The larger system are all Bliesma BE domes in MTM together with AE bass-tower and SEAS ROY x 4 subs. An awesome system indeed (not mine).

Best of the show in my opionion to 👍

Orangutan exterior dimensions. Three 1" dowel braces front to rear around the woofer. Shelf brace 1/3 of the way from the bottom. 19mm BB throughout. Hate mdf dust. 2 ports in the bottom 2.5 x 7.

Woofer has a 1.0 mh 18ga coil only. Tweeter is 3.9ohm into 8.2uf, followed by RL shunt that is 6.8ohm-. 68mh and shunt after that shunt of. 56mh.

I found the more complex xo superior to various XOs that let the woofer go.

I have the xo external, because I am never done.
This is very nice work.

May I ask if you can share the crossover diagram please?

Coincidentally, I'm just getting back to this. I'll post in the next few weeks if I make changes.

PXL_20231117_193636540.jpg

Regarding crossover frequency and off axis response. This is from Stereophile. The crossover is proabably between 2,5 and 3K:

IMG_8098.jpeg

I can see that the Morel tweeter is much deeper than f ex Seas DXT. The measurements are quite similar.

Morel:

IMG_8090.jpeg
IMG_8093.jpeg

Seas:

IMG_8091.jpeg
IMG_8095.jpeg

Scan Speak:

IMG_8092.jpeg
IMG_8094.jpeg

Monacor:

IMG_8096.jpeg
IMG_8097.jpeg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
3 mm bitumen sheets on 2/3 of the surface inside instead of bracing

no, no, no...

That has a completely opposite affect. Increases mass without adding stiffness lowereing the frequency of the panel resonance and decreases the Q.

A brace divides a panel into 2 sunpanels, the shorter dimension increasing the potential panel frequency. Q stays much the same.

The affect of the first is to make resonance smore likely to be excited, and more likely to be heard when they are set of.

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users