diyAudio reference speaker project - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2006, 01:02 PM   #171
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I know x .onasis did who was the originator of the thread. If I remember correctly, the preferences were active xo, series xo and in the single cap xo in that order.

Please be aware that this speaker has limited bass performance and is more about upper bass and mids.
Old 20th August 2006, 05:36 AM   #172
D1GGY is offline D1GGY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

XO is much more complex than i like to see, as well my opion of that peerless is coloured by friends experience with the phase plug version -- he hasn't managed to get them to sound as good as his P13 dalines (these were one of the reference projects for this thread)

Daline Note: the Linn ceramic T was replaced with (a modified) Vifa tweeter & XO from this ref project (this change predates this thread)

dave

would the Daline design offer bass extension benefits over a vented small enclosure (okara, with 5uF cap), i ask only that i built a small enclosure for these and they really did seem base shy but very musical.

Could i also subtitute the tweeter with a SS 9500?

I originally planned on doing an Okara but could find no crossover designs...I am hoping the Daline TL may hold the answer for me...(love the p13 sound but really needs more bass for my taste)
Old 20th August 2006, 07:00 AM   #173
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by D1GGY
I am hoping the Daline TL may hold the answer for me...(love the p13 sound but really needs more bass for my taste)
Chris' Daline was never really optimum for the p13. A properly modded ML-TL would probably get you the greater bottom you desire, but this little VIFA is never going to be a bass monster.

The matching VIFA tweeter -- particularily tweaked -- would likely give the SS a run.

dave
Old 20th August 2006, 09:37 AM   #174
D1GGY is offline D1GGY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback,

I am sure the Vifa tweeters are superb performers. I was however, looking to use drivers i already had at my disposal which I did not make clear in my original post, any ideas?

Perhaps the answer for me is to optimize for the p13 and look elsewhere to provide the "feel"

I guess I am at risk of moving the direction of the thread away from the core subject, and am offering up another alternative to an already option rich thread, thereby diluting it further.

But, i am still keen to utilise my drivers, how easy would it be for me to utilise the SS tweeter option as a substitution in the finalised design if i keep it quiet

mark
Old 20th August 2006, 12:30 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

If you want to try the SS D2905-9500 with the single cap option, just have a play with it and try a few different cap values starting off at the 5uF. You might have to drop the cap value a tad as the Vifa has a lower impedance at xo but both are very similar in FR.
Old 12th September 2006, 06:57 PM   #176
contour is offline contour  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Nice topic this is/was...

I have build this design using the Vifa P13WH-00 and Vifa HT-275D2 tweeter:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9756/p8130040go0.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5516/p8130041km4.jpg

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/5953/p50600249lm.jpg (using the single cap)

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/1059/p50700264yu.jpg

First I tried the 5uF cap (in this case a very good 800V Audyn Plus 4.7uF) and really this sounds good. But after seeing this threat I now have tried the series crossover, and I have to agree it sounds even better! Doing some measurement with my RTA it turned out the polarity on the tweeter had to be reversed using the series crossover. I did not read this in this topic so this might be a usefull tip. Polarity really did make a big difference. With the wrong polarity I got a wide 6dB dip around the 3kHz crossover frequency.

I am going to listen to this crossover for some time. If I really like it I will buy some of the very best components to build it. (only the components for each cabinet so costs are not that high). But even know I have used a MOX resistor, MKP cap and 1.4mm wire aircore coil.

Best regards,

Walt
Old 13th September 2006, 03:47 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Good tip on the polarity on the tweeter and reversing should always be tried. I've read that in a first order that the polarity can be either way but in real life there is only one connection that is correct.
Old 13th September 2006, 04:40 PM   #178
MuaDibb is offline MuaDibb  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been looking for a nice set of computer speakers to build, and this seems very close to what I've been looking for. Could someone post a drawn schematic for the series xo, I had trouble envisioning the written version from the wiki. Yes I'm a newby. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 14th September 2006, 11:47 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

There are a few variations of the standard series crossover values you can try for the D27TG-45-06 / P13WH-00-08 combo.

For one with more BSC and a lower top end with an exagerated BBC dip:
R1=10R, L1=0.7mH, C1=3.3uF, -ve tweeter polarity, 7ohm min.

For a flatter one with some BSC and a tad of BBC dip:
R1=6R8, L1=0.7mH, 3.3uF, -ve tweeter polarity, 7 ohm min. This one is closest to the AR series crossover and a good alternative if component costs need to be kept low.

For a flat response without BSC:
R1=4R7, L1=0.47mH, C1=6.8uF, +ve tweeter polarity, 7 ohm min with the smoothest impedance curve of the standard series crossovers.

See the drawing for designations and the tweeter polarity as drawn is +ve, so reverse for -ve polarity.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1st_order_series_2way.gif (2.5 KB, 1669 views)
Old 14th September 2006, 11:55 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

For an AR series crossover which has the flattest response, best driver behaviour, best tweeter protection and BSC:
C1=22uF, L2=1.2mH, R1=6R8, L1=0.11mH, -ve tweeter polarity, 7 ohm min impedance and the smoothest impedance curve.

As above the drawing shows +ve tweeter polarity and reverse for -ve polarity.

As with all series crossovers, use an inductor with the lowest DCR that you can afford.... less than 5% of the woofer's Re.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ar-series-xo.gif (2.9 KB, 1627 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!