Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2014, 11:13 PM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

While this is the multi-way forum, since it appears you've nominated the Alpair7.3, the Pensil7.3 can be a fairly inobtrusive WAF friendly enough enclosure that sounds quite decent as well.

I cross mine over at 110Hz via the HT receiver, and run a pair of dual 7" driver woofers for the LFE channel.

Then there's the FH3 (MAOP7s shown here in cherry veneer with removable supr-baffles) - some gals like them enough

Of course, if you want a true multiway with A7s, that's quite doable as well (these one are active with PLLXO)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.3 Penils MarKenT 003.jpg (278.4 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg 7.3 Penils MarKenT 005.jpg (230.0 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg FH3-FHXL001.JPG (400.4 KB, 1249 views)
File Type: jpg ELLIPSA-002.JPG (401.4 KB, 564 views)
Old 26th February 2014, 02:44 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I just divorced the wife.........
+10, the "boys" are best kept in the pants, not in the purse.
Old 26th February 2014, 05:05 AM   #23
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi onni...
I think that you should find something that suite you
something that you like by sound and aesthetic...other wise you will not be happy
and if you are not happy, your wife will not be too

my even didn't like small sonus faber concerto, on stands, she say that they look like ''trafic lites'' ?!?

and now I build those, and she is o.k. with it (am not saying that she loves them, just that she accepted it )
Click the image to open in full size.

I see that you post some design what you would like to build, and there suggestions about some other designs and topology...

I think that you can build some real nice speakers by your self, and some times finishes help with WAF

for me, I like those from tony gee ''orfeo''...but don't know will thay sute you...
Humble Homemade Hifi

for me difference, be twin those form Tony and all other, ''box'' a like speaker, is in finish...maybe something to have in mind

maybe you should stick with first design, cube on top of cabinet, but make cabinet ''curved''..like B&W style

Last edited by yoke; 26th February 2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 26th February 2014, 06:22 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

It's the "WAF Challenge"!!!!

Tougher than the Ironman, Paris-Dakar Rally, and walking across Africa all put together!

But, make something she likes:
1) Just make the same kind of towers she is now OK with. Maybe a bit deeper, but not wider or taller.
OR
2) In-wall, with enclosure for better sound if possible. Show her pictures of in-wall grilles. Parts Express has DIY setup you can put your own drivers into.
OR
3) On-wall, maybe with decorative cloth to look artistic.

Then, build a sub(s) that can go under some of the furniture.

You are simply not going to get good bass out of anything she will visually accept in the main speakers. No way, sorry. You already know that in your heart anyway.
Old 26th February 2014, 08:56 AM   #25
onni is offline onni  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplace View Post
What is your wall construction? If hollow, you may be able to build in-wall speakers that have all of their volume hidden.

Of a similar principle, you can build subwoofers into socially-acceptable furniture like coffee tables and couches, and that can be quite invisible if they're down-firing. If you have floorboards and are very adventurous, substantial subwoofer boxes can go underfloor... Using those sorts of hiding techniques for LF drivers, you can possibly get away with very small/discrete speakers that are easier to sell.
It is hollow, but very thin (45 or 70 mm + plasterboard), I'll add it to the list. Putting subwoofers in the couch could be a good idea, got to check how hollow it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
Hi onni...
I think that you should find something that suite you
something that you like by sound and aesthetic...other wise you will not be happy
and if you are not happy, your wife will not be too

my even didn't like small sonus faber concerto, on stands, she say that they look like ''trafic lites'' ?!?

and now I build those, and she is o.k. with it (am not saying that she loves them, just that she accepted it )

I see that you post some design what you would like to build, and there suggestions about some other designs and topology...

I think that you can build some real nice speakers by your self, and some times finishes help with WAF

for me, I like those from tony gee ''orfeo''...but don't know will thay sute you...
Humble Homemade Hifi

for me difference, be twin those form Tony and all other, ''box'' a like speaker, is in finish...maybe something to have in mind

maybe you should stick with first design, cube on top of cabinet, but make cabinet ''curved''..like B&W style
That is some gorgeous woodwork (first pic)!

You are right that I should build something that suits me as well, best case is that I find something that we both like

The B&W diamond series is pretty in my opinion, I'll add them to the list (maybe slim the design down a little).
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
It's the "WAF Challenge"!!!!

Tougher than the Ironman, Paris-Dakar Rally, and walking across Africa all put together!

But, make something she likes:
1) Just make the same kind of towers she is now OK with. Maybe a bit deeper, but not wider or taller.
OR
2) In-wall, with enclosure for better sound if possible. Show her pictures of in-wall grilles. Parts Express has DIY setup you can put your own drivers into.
OR
3) On-wall, maybe with decorative cloth to look artistic.

Then, build a sub(s) that can go under some of the furniture.

You are simply not going to get good bass out of anything she will visually accept in the main speakers. No way, sorry. You already know that in your heart anyway.
1) Like an elliptical tower that is deeper than it is wide? Sounds like a good idea, I'll try to do some sketches.
2) Might work, the walls are thin. I'll add it to the list of suggestions.
3) Main idea for the moment. Found the DTS D-One for inspiration:

Are you sure that 20 l sealed box with some shallow 12" subwoofer wont be enough? I tested the Pioneer TS-SW301 (recommended volume of 14.2 to 28.3 litres) in 20 l, got this (WinISD):
If I add a linkwith transform (20 Hz, Q=0.71) i get
for 40 W input power. The cone excursion for that is
For one, I'm planning on building two. I doubt that I will play higher than 100 dB. Add a third subwoofer under the couch and I should have all the LF i need, or am I missing something?

/Anton

Last edited by onni; 26th February 2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 26th February 2014, 09:20 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Speaker Sculpture.
Objects of Art.
Designed to be SEEN and HEARD.

(pic of Sony SS-AR1 TMWW construction)
Finish in black, or cover with black nylon sock.
Roll on wall paint to blend in.
Tweeter at 39" - 42" ear height puts TM above cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker_Sculpture.jpg (90.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Sony SS AR1 Box.jpg (52.5 KB, 266 views)
Old 26th February 2014, 09:48 AM   #27
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onni View Post
The problem is WAF...
My wife doesn't like music, so no sound system in the bed room, and often I have to sleep in the audio room

But there is one question that has never escaped my head "Is it a matter of sound quality?"

Many people like music ONLY IF they like the sound. Me for example, I prefer no music than one with below standard sound quality (price is not relevant).

I have several experiences where my wife (who I think doesn't like music) started to stay close to my system when the system sounded "good".

There was a system in our living room but she once sneaked into my audio room several time to play her music CD there. I remembered how the sound came from behind the wall and how soundstage was a lot bigger than the room. But I didn't keep this speaker.

My current system is only accessible by me (too many cables and electronics around so she wouldn't enter the room). But when the system played the songs that she knew, I often found her to come closer (out of the bedroom for example) and sang along.

May be if wives like the sound, the shape wouldn't matter at all?
Old 26th February 2014, 11:21 AM   #28
onni is offline onni  Sweden
diyAudio Member

For some reason I can't edit my last post...

The on-wall speaker is a DLS D-One (not DTS as i wrote). Another picture:

/Anton
Old 26th February 2014, 11:22 AM   #29
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
sorry...I meant bowls (IKEA) not cube (as onni write in first post)...but I think you get it....
Old 26th February 2014, 01:23 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
May be if wives like the sound, the shape wouldn't matter at all?
Ja, I think you are confused

I think this is rare in real life, very rare…very VERY rare...

Hide this!Advertise here!