Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As seen on TV: Cool Kids Use Horns

Attachments

• As_seen_on_TV.jpg
    As_seen_on_TV.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 641
For women I suggest KISS. Visual simplicity is the key to WAF....no shiny drivers no protruding horns or knobs.
Grill cloth and cabinet colors that suit the decor. No 'oil derricks' or 'traffic lights' will do.
If your speakers do not draw attention to themselves you always have the option of changing them without the wife noticing. It is cheaper to change your speakers than your wife.

This is the advice I should have followed before my last divorce. :D

For women I suggest KISS. Visual simplicity is the key to WAF....no shiny drivers no protruding horns or knobs.
Grill cloth and cabinet colors that suit the decor. No 'oil derricks' or 'traffic lights' will do.
If your speakers do not draw attention to themselves you always have the option of changing them without the wife noticing. It is cheaper to change your speakers than your wife.

This is the advice I should have followed before my last divorce. :D
This is my experience as well, that visual simplicity is good, and that the speaker should blend in with the decor.

Never heard of KISS, are you refering to this speaker:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

/Anton

Anytime my wife complains about my hobby, aka being a speaker widow, I simply say: Honey, you know where I am, what I'm doing and you have complete control over the remote control, but you're right, I should consider some other hobby like skydiving or motorcycle racing.

Works like a charm. Besides, I do try and show an interest in her things and she appreciates that.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I do not have WAF problem, but if I may suggest a nice looking and great sounding speaker, I would copy a Marantz LS-85. It always looked sleak to me, so I suppose female would like it as well...well you can ask yours first if she likes it. I am working on the copy right now, built an ugly prototype, its time to make it final. I got Betsy WOW, and a great ribbon tweeter, almost matching in sensitivity, ~93 dB, so it will be high-ish efficiency 2-way monitor, and if I decide to add sub later, it will be great...
Just a suggestion.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...fB86AhAfdu4HIDw&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=843

I do not have WAF problem, but if I may suggest a nice looking and great sounding speaker, I would copy a Marantz LS-85. It always looked sleak to me, so I suppose female would like it as well...well you can ask yours first if she likes it. I am working on the copy right now, built an ugly prototype, its time to make it final. I got Betsy WOW, and a great ribbon tweeter, almost matching in sensitivity, ~93 dB, so it will be high-ish efficiency 2-way monitor, and if I decide to add sub later, it will be great...
Just a suggestion.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...fB86AhAfdu4HIDw&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=843

Look forward to seeing your build. Sounds like a nice setup with subtle (or not so ;) improvements that can be made over the original. Have to love the higher efficiency/dynamic capability :)

These are absolutely awesome. You can cover them to meet your taste

365500d1376337170-ob-omni-experiment-speaker-1.jpg

Link to build thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/199562-ob-omni-experiment.html
Interesting speaker! I have some difficulties in how I could place it discretely in my living room though...

@ Anton. KISS = Keep It Simple Sir.
Oh :) Funny that there was a KISS speaker :D

Anytime my wife complains about my hobby, aka being a speaker widow, I simply say: Honey, you know where I am, what I'm doing and you have complete control over the remote control, but you're right, I should consider some other hobby like skydiving or motorcycle racing.

Works like a charm. Besides, I do try and show an interest in her things and she appreciates that.
lol :D This is so true.

I spent the evening on rendering an idea thats been rotating in my head: Combine the earlier hexagon design (but with octagons) with a subwoofer that has octagonal faces:
UAZrMbUl.jpg

Cover the subwoofer (including driver) with felt.

K8LLjsVl.jpg

Cover everything but the driver with felt.

oEM6hdwl.jpg

Match the subwoofer with the high gloss white paint on the media console.

ETaecjb.jpg

With felt covering the driver.
I think I like this one the best. Inside volume of the subwoofer is 36 l before driver and bracing. Should be enough for some 10" driver (Dayton Audio TIT280C-4 or RSS265HF-4?).

Next idea is to combine absorbers with a Cornu spiral and a subwoofer... Could you make a octagonal Cornu spiral speaker?

/Anton

EDIT: Added last picture.

Last edited:
how much do you know about speaker design, and how they work ?
Just basic understanding. I've built a few speakers, but only closed and vented boxes, nothing more complicated. The electric part: A few simple crossovers, 41Hz AMP6-B and a Linkwitz Transform.

I'm an structural mechanics engineer and I do a lot of calculations in my profession, hand and FEM (computer aided). I have read some speaker design litterature, but it was a while ago :)

I've just started working on trying to simulate the effects of absorbers and speaker placement using one of the FEM-softwares that I use at work:
j0MUzaS.png

Simulated frequency sweep, all surfaces (walls/floor/roof...) have a set impedance, I'm searching for better values/settings.

This is the model geometry with SPL-surfaces with right speaker playing at 74.6 Hz:
kgmzKap.png

The little red lump is the right speaker.

/Anton

Last edited:
ONNI,

Think about extending your woofer box to a full speaker box with :
1) physical time alignment of a midrange and a tweeter(dome or compression driver + waveguide).
2) edge diffraction control
3) controling the polar response of against-the-wall speakers

Linesource......Cool kids don't put horns onto my TAD E1 speakers ;-)

Andrew

Andrew,
The cool kids snuck a waveguide into your E1.
Your TAD E1 speakers use a coaxial tweet-midrange where the midrange cone controls the tweeter polar pattern as a waveguide.

Measurements illustrating the cone's polar control are here: TAD Evolution One Loudspeakers : Castle Hill Hifi

TAD: "Coherent Source Transducer – For highly improved imaging and a more consistent sound throughout an entire listening room, TAD’s Coherent Source Transducer (CST) was designed with the tweeter diaphragm mounted concentrically within the midrange cone. This design provides a point source of sound from 250 Hz to 100 kHz, enabling matched arrival times of midrange and tweeter sounds." "TAD's signature Coherent Source Transducer (CST) coaxial driver uses a 5½" magnesium midrange cone surrounding a 1 3/8" beryllium-dome tweeter. "

"The plot of the Evolution One's lateral dispersion, referenced to the response on the tweeter axis, indicates that the on-axis peaks and dips in the high treble tend to even out to the speaker's sides. The radiation pattern is commendably smooth and even through the midrange and low to mid-treble, something that always correlates with stable, well-defined stereo imaging.

The dispersion is also even and well controlled in the vertical plane, a benefit of the coaxial midrange-tweeter arrangement."

What? Don't LF work in "pressurization", given the size of the cab:confused:

You do get an extension down deep but not like you would expect. It's still dominated by the model. Even with the gain my car affords, simply crack a window or pop the sunroof and that pressurization is lost. I can hear and measure the loss at the lowest frequencies. For me thats at least 9 months a year minimum, it be hot in Florida and I love my sunroof :)

OT: Last week went to investigate where a "one note thumper" was as it appeared to be distant but on property. Discovered a guy two blocks away with his trunk popped getting an ar*e chewing by a woman from another building making complaint. He had that typical Walmart one note boombox with dual tens and piezo tweeters. He complained it really wasn't that loud and I explained it was, but only at one particular frequency. When he counter with it wasn't in the car, a Continental.
Now this guy never figured the trunk was isolated from the cabin area to reduce low frequency sound from road noise. So basically he was jamming out the trunk in isolation, with no way for 99% of that bass to reach his ear. At least you don't hear him driving by, he is by trade a professional driver ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.