Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I trust the OP being happy in that field, since he's a structure engineer.
And that might explain his adversity in contemplating what should make
a un-phisical ( but phisical) structure such that formed in music reproduction.
Not by scattering speakers along a wall :mad:
(sound design) is no magic but don't expect the magic to come out of such arrangement ( which is splendid visually ) .

A speaker don't need to be placed descrete to have WAF, if it don't look like a speaker.

I do love you on wall designs, and they can work acoustically as well. Have you seen the thread with multiple BMR's

338327d1364204198-near-full-range-bmr-balanced-mode-radiator-htc-23-feb-2012-258.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/191853-near-full-range-bmr-balanced-mode-radiator-3.html

I trust the OP being happy in that field, since he's a structure engineer.
And that might explain his adversity in contemplating what should make
a un-phisical ( but phisical) structure such that formed in music reproduction.
Not by scattering speakers along a wall :mad:
(sound design) is no magic but don't expect the magic to come out of such arrangement ( which is splendid visually ) .
I feel like I need to clarify: Only one of the octagons is a speaker, the second one from the floor. The rest of them are acoustic absorbers (10 cm thick with 2 cm gap behind).

A speaker don't need to be placed descrete to have WAF, if it don't look like a speaker.

I do love you on wall designs, and they can work acoustically as well. Have you seen the thread with multiple BMR's

338327d1364204198-near-full-range-bmr-balanced-mode-radiator-htc-23-feb-2012-258.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/191853-near-full-range-bmr-balanced-mode-radiator-3.html
Interesting! I'll check them out. (Why does the forum change the aspect ratio of pictures?)

/Anton

Could you make a octagonal Cornu spiral speaker?
You can alter the external box shape and the number, length and shape of the spirals.
Next idea is to combine absorbers with a Cornu spiral and a subwoofer
The whole idea behind the Cornu is the cabinet augments the bass of a small driver so to add a woofer defeats the purpose IMO. If you are set on the separate woofer then you can still do a flat box idea but I wouldn't bother with the spiral. You can get more juice out of the system by high passing the other drivers. The Cornu I did has edging similar to a picture frame so that you could add an acoustically transparent overlay like a silkscreen or...

May be if wives like the sound, the shape wouldn't matter at all? :confused:

If the sound is good, shape and size matter less.
My speakers are 350 x 1500 x 450 mm. I had them when I met my wife. She often asks me, if it is not possible to build some smaller, nicer speakers. She also adds each time that they need to have at least the same sound quality as the big ones, especially with regards to the bass.

For women I suggest KISS. Visual simplicity is the key to WAF....no shiny drivers no protruding horns or knobs.

Mine is drawn to speakers with their drivers showing, and the more woofers, the better.
I know women who prefer stereos with one single knob to turn them on and adjust the volume, and others who love many knobs and buttons to have the feeling of total control. The former are the majority of course. Nevertheless, when you talk about WAF, it is important to keep in mind that women are as individual as males with as differing tastes, too.

The key is communication. Why not let the wife design the "box", then try to build a speaker in it? Make small adjustments to the design where necessary and explain the reasons.
It could even be fun to build both versions, do listening tests together, and then decide which version to keep.

I was thinking about what some people said in this thread, that I can't know what she would really like. So I tried to think of a speaker I would like to build. This design came to mind:
w72TLTI.jpg

AiSWsQQ.jpg

mXtN58C.jpg

TPsThtk.jpg

uuQgCfu.jpg

tIzll4b.jpg

Crazy, but still kinda elegant. Enough volume for decent LF reproduction.

I think it's a good idea to have a lot of design suggestions, helping her choose a direction and maybe coming up with her own ideas/combinations of proposed ideas.

/Anton

Last edited:
Form Follows Function

Function: Low cabinet diffraction.
Form: Sphere+rear tapered tube.
(white papers at B&W Nautilus)
To gain full advantage of the sphere's minimal diffraction requires an almost free standing sphere. Lose some value when near rear wall.

Function: Time and phase perfect sound:
Form1: Physical time alignment of speakers, plus select analog Xovers.
Form2: Digital time alignment of speakers, select digital FIR filters.

"If you only have a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail."
Waveguides are today's audio hammer.

Attachments

• sphere_tube_enclosure_large.jpg
    sphere_tube_enclosure_large.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 127
  • G3-2-speaker_014_1-SM.jpg
    G3-2-speaker_014_1-SM.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 2,210
  • mobius.jpg
    mobius.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,177
  • Elipson_4260.jpg
    Elipson_4260.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,189
  • cabasse-locean-speakers.jpg
    cabasse-locean-speakers.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,178
  • Hammer1.jpg
    Hammer1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,193
  • Hammer2.jpg
    Hammer2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,206
Form Follows Function

Function: Low cabinet diffraction.
Form: Sphere+rear tapered tube.
(white papers at B&W Nautilus)
To gain full advantage of the sphere's minimal diffraction requires an almost free standing sphere. Lose some value when near rear wall.

Function: Time and phase perfect sound:
Form1: Physical time alignment of speakers, plus select analog Xovers.
Form2: Digital time alignment of speakers, select digital FIR filters.

"If you only have a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail."
Waveguides are today's audio hammer.

What design is depicted in the bottom left?

What design is depicted in the bottom left?

Robert Miller of WW Speaker Cabinets and Mark Seaton built the HQ-15-Maple speaker pictured in 2007. I think it was only in production for a couple years. sales@seatonsound.net

Duke who owns Audio Kinesis has a Prisma cabinet shape with a 45 degree angled rear joint. AudioKinesis - sound that moves you

Several diy clones of this cabinet shape were clean sheet designed and constructed in the AVS group. The SEOS18 and SEOS24 waveguides have launched new designs with this cabinet shape, a TD15M sealed midbass, plus a TD15S woofer (~53" high with 42" ear level SEOS24)

Attachments

• HQ-15-Maple-01.jpg
    HQ-15-Maple-01.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 115
  • HQ-15-Maple-02.jpg
    HQ-15-Maple-02.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Prisma_Duke.jpg
    Prisma_Duke.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 73
According to my 'theory' the beloved wife won't like any of the designs so far ... too complicated.
If women are as complicated as that panel suggests and opposites attract, what she really wants
is something simple. Just a beautifully proportioned and crafted box to suit the room dimensions, (preferably able to support a vase) from which as if by magic soothing music fills the room. Then again she maybe into heavy metal? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.