Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
B&G neo3 is 85$ at PE

They are that much nowadays/ I got them for $55 each. Not cheap but not very expensive.

Anton, methinks you're trying too hard. I still think for WAF, the Cornu works best.

I suspect Anton did consider the Cornu (I believe it was suggested earlier) but maybe it was too far out of his comfort zone.

You can even mod the Cornu to be a 2 way (the woofer will be loaded by the line).

This?
RBT-95
link
/Anton

Anton that is more expensive than the B&G neo3!

Cornu Horn = Whirl

Anton, methinks you're trying too hard. I still think for WAF, the Cornu works best. Especially if you cover the driver with a silkscreen on it's own frame to hide the driver. Make it about 1/2 to 2/3 coverage of the box.

Here is a shot of the edge so you can see they look fine from that perspective as well. The 'scratch' on the trim is actually a string of hot glue. On the right of the first pic you can see how I added the moulding so it looks like it's own frame and filter cloth to hide the horn mouths so it tends to meet many of the WAF requirements. One either side of the TV on the wall, and the woofer wherever there's room.

In the second pic they are just there to listen to. Not only can you see the camera flash but you can see the reflection of the jellyfish lamp above the right speaker. :)

On top of that, they took only 20 hours as you see them so if they don't work out you can decide on something else. Besides, with the foam core, they are the funnest build I can remember.

The Cornu enclosure does not have to be an ugly square; it can be a polygon or round as well. Mathematically, it is a variant of a whirl [1]. If you allow the spiral partitions to protrude through the otherwise flat front panel the aesthetics are greatly improved. Even numbers of spirals work better as they support the required bifurcation of the odd numbered elements that extent nearest the center.

[1] Whirl -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Regards,

WHG

I haven't read all 25 pages (God forbid!), so apologies if this has been suggested, but why not let your wife look through a lot of designs, and scrub out the ones she hates? I am building a Troels Gravesen design, and there are loads of different shapes and sizes on his site. Some he made himself, some made by others. It's a place to start, and I'm sure there are other sites with similar lists. Would something like this be acceptable?
Illumina-66-intro-3-small.jpg

I am doing something like this- but then I get away with murder!
jenzen-accu-bjorn-intro%20(2).jpg

Also try search ribbon tweeter on aliexpress.com (I use aliexpress, and have good experience)

There are som very cheap tweeters, and some good bulk prices as well.
I have not used aliexpress. It looks kinda scary with no-name stuff...

They are that much nowadays/ I got them for $55 each. Not cheap but not very expensive.

I suspect Anton did consider the Cornu (I believe it was suggested earlier) but maybe it was too far out of his comfort zone.

You can even mod the Cornu to be a 2 way (the woofer will be loaded by the line).

Anton that is more expensive than the B&G neo3!
The cornu is still interesting. I'm trying to do a little simulations of it. The few measurements I've seen does however not look very good... I don't really need that much of a deep end (LF) as I think i can get away with one subwoofer directly under each speaker. So about 100 Hz should be enough.

The prices are in SEK, so 230 SEK is about 30 dollars if I factor in that shipping is less expensive when ordering within sweden. That doesn't make a line array of them very affordable however, I would still need at least 10 of them on each side (right?). That's my complete budget right there (excluding subwoofers)...

The Cornu enclosure does not have to be an ugly square; it can be a polygon or round as well. Mathematically, it is a variant of a whirl [1]. If you allow the spiral partitions to protrude through the otherwise flat front panel the aesthetics are greatly improved. Even numbers of spirals work better as they support the required bifurcation of the odd numbered elements that extent nearest the center.

[1] Whirl -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Regards,

WHG
This is true, I have not seen anyone do that however. One of the things that concern me is having a driver in the middle of the baffle, that should give problems with diffraction. Maybe I'll try to design an asymmetric cornu...

I haven't read all 25 pages (God forbid!), so apologies if this has been suggested, but why not let your wife look through a lot of designs, and scrub out the ones she hates? I am building a Troels Gravesen design, and there are loads of different shapes and sizes on his site. Some he made himself, some made by others. It's a place to start, and I'm sure there are other sites with similar lists. Would something like this be acceptable?
Illumina-66-intro-3-small.jpg

I am doing something like this- but then I get away with murder!
jenzen-accu-bjorn-intro%20(2).jpg
I actually did try this, see this post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...my-wife-will-let-me-build-18.html#post3857744

The conclusion is that she doesn't really like floor standers. A subwoofer and something on it, or with a on-wall speaker seems like a better solution (in her eyes). My main direction right now is to rebuild my console so it's 60 cm wider and incorporate down firing subwoofers in each end. Clean with no visible subwoofers and that should give the possibility of a more expressive on-wall or on-console speaker.

(I may be making up a lot of words, sorry about that. Please tell me if I'm not making any sense.)

/Anton

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...my-wife-will-let-me-build-18.html#post3857744

The conclusion is that she doesn't really like floor standers. A subwoofer and something on it, or with a on-wall speaker seems like a better solution (in her eyes). My main direction right now is to rebuild my console so it's 60 cm wider and incorporate down firing subwoofers in each end. Clean with no visible subwoofers and that should give the possibility of a more expressive on-wall or on-console speaker.

(I may be making up a lot of words, sorry about that. Please tell me if I'm not making any sense.)

/Anton
I think you need help designing a new wife! :D

I have not used aliexpress. It looks kinda scary with no-name stuff...

The cornu is still interesting. I'm trying to do a little simulations of it. The few measurements I've seen does however not look very good... I don't really need that much of a deep end (LF) as I think i can get away with one subwoofer directly under each speaker. So about 100 Hz should be enough.

The prices are in SEK, so 230 SEK is about 30 dollars if I factor in that shipping is less expensive when ordering within sweden. That doesn't make a line array of them very affordable however, I would still need at least 10 of them on each side (right?). That's my complete budget right there (excluding subwoofers)...

This is true, I have not seen anyone do that however. One of the things that concern me is having a driver in the middle of the baffle, that should give problems with diffraction. Maybe I'll try to design an asymmetric cornu...

/Anton

Here is a set for you. :rolleyes:

hanging_balls_from_car.jpg

lol, seriously op, I find this thread sad. You should be able to put a reasonable floorstander in your living room without having to make a perfect speaker for her. I'm not saying to put a 300L cabinet, but a 100L cabinet in a living room is reasonable and would sound better then any bowl on a wall with a sub.

I don't find it sad. It's just a case of give and take with the significant other. What some consider eye-candy (me among that group), my wife may not.

To me, it's more an engineering problem. Good sound with little visual presence is a challenge.

jn

I really like the process of designing a speaker, both regarding sound and appearance. And I like challenges, here being to make a speaker that sounds nice and appeals my wife. She is obviously more important than speakers.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the speaker needs to be invisible, her favorite so far is The Drop.

/Anton

She is obviously more important than speakers.

/Anton
:eek:
Seriously though, I hope you find a compromise that you are both happy with, rather than neither. I'm lucky, I've made large speakers ever since we married, over 40 years ago, so my wife is used to them. I even finish them sometimes!
She just said, she now thinks it's normal to live like this! Lol.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I really like the process of designing a speaker, both regarding sound and appearance. And I like challenges, here being to make a speaker that sounds nice and appeals my wife. She is obviously more important than speakers.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the speaker needs to be invisible, her favorite so far is The Drop.

/Anton

Products | SolidDrive Sound Transducers

Invisible Speakers | Stealth Acoustics

Invisible Entertainment : Archive : Home & Garden Television

jn

Smart Sphere enclosures:

French.... includes modest amount of absorption material at the rear of the sphere, plus a resonant rear chamber that removes the 3D equal path lengths in a sphere.

British.... Sphere + stuffed rear tapered tube to spread out resonances and absorb rear cone eneregy.

A rotatable MT with tapered/beveled edges also has good diffraction response. Just add a W or WW bass bottom for a proven design with many DIY Xovers on the web, including SBacoustics. It can be painted to match your cabinet colors. Camouflage?

If you cannot accept a high efficiency design using a horn tweeter with controlled dispersion that fits your room dimensions, then put some of your artistic talents into a MT-W(10") or MT-WW(8") with a rotatable MT top. Your MiniDSP will provide time alignment such that you can use a flat baffle. Just bevel the edges.

Attachments

• SmartSphere.jpg
    SmartSphere.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 300
You should be able to put a reasonable floorstander in your living room without having to make a perfect speaker for her.

Here is a set for you. :rolleyes:

I think you need help designing a new wife! :D

I find comments like this not in the spirit of this forum. If a member has a challenge, whatever that challenge may be, as audio brothers we are obliged to help if and where we can and accept the member's limitations as his/her own.

It's just a case of give and take with the significant other. What some consider eye-candy (me among that group), my wife may not. To me, it's more an engineering problem. Good sound with little visual presence is a challenge.
jn

Exactly. Thank you Neutron!

Obviously newly weds. Give it some time :D

They are having their SECOND child together so it is NOT a new relationship. Come on guys show some understanding and compassion.

Anton,

Many here may have heard this story or parts of it before so at the risk of repeating myself...

I live in Mumbai, a teeming and crowded metropolis, where all but a select few live in shoe box sized apartments. Before I got married my speaker system consisted of a pair of JBL B460 woofers (JBL 2245) in 10 cu. ft. cabinets, topped by a pair of floor standing MTMs using Focal 8N515 and Morel MDT33 drivers.

In 1995 I redesigned this system. I gave away the JBL woofers to a friend that owns a bar. The Focal woofers and Morel tweeter were mated to a Audax HM170 Aerogel midrange and made into a Watt-Puppy styled box and given to my wife's brother.

My new woofers were half the size and consisted of 4 Audio concepts DV12 drivers in 2 coffee table sized boxes, topped with a MTM using ScanSpeak's 18W8546 and 9900.

Then in 2011-12 my wife (of 15+ years) decided to remodel (or rather was forced to due to an infestation of termites in the entire apartment block). Quite obviously I figured

a. I am too old to build speakers and my back cant lift can carry stuff anymore
b. India has changed since 1995 and now we can import stuff like amplifiers and speakers we could not in the 80s and 90s.

My dream was an OB system, something like Hawthorne Audio's Trio, backed by a pair of big sealed subwoofers but my wife balked. The visual impact besides the fact that OBs need room behind them to breathe and she dug her heels in.

Eventually she agreed to a pair of 'slim' towers for each room (living room and bedroom) with matching speakers for rear and center if there was room.

So I looked around. The KEF Q900, the Monitor Gold GX300, The Paradigm Studio 100s, Focal's Chorus 836W, B&W CM9, Whafdale's Jade system I upped the budget and looked at KEF's R900, Heco's Celan 902 , Canton's Chrono SL590, and maybe a dozen others. Nothing satisfied. I decided to DIY and considered systems from Tony Gee and Troels Gravesen.

The one pair my wife and me both liked were the Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL but Mumbai's dusty and humid climate made this a no-no.

Then I ran into Jim of Salk Audio and Lou of Daedalus Audio and neither were able to supply a kit. But Rick Craig of Selah Audio was. So that's where I went.
And this is the result
Pictures of Selah designed Tempesta Extreme and RC4 (no subwoofer)

My wife says they compare favourably against speakers far more expensive like Focal Electra 1028, Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 etc..

When they were built, my wife balked a bit, she did not realise the towers would look this big. She was expecting something on the lines of GoldenEar's Triton Three.

Now I am not recommending towers or anything like that but I can totally sympathise where you are coming from. It's going to be hard work fining the middle ground. Maybe you can stretch it a little, using say multiple subwoofers, making the making speakers a few cm bigger etc. Maybe you can compensate by using finishes that your wife favours (we used the same veneer used in the room). Just do not stop trying. I hope the story of my journey has given you either inspiration or hope or both.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.