System Pictures & Description

Hey guys,

Love all these designs on here, this forum has been a great source of information in regards to speaker design and creation.

I've played around with speakers a little over the years but nothing too serious, but recently I had a go at creating a set of 3-way speakers that fit my room a little better than the polk audio tsi-500's I had brought when I was flatting in a much larger room.

The project has to be one of the hardest things I have made, mainly because the lack of tools and some of the cuts I wanted to do.

Now as much as I studied do's and dont's on here I believe there are probably a few things people on here will scream at but I had the design nestled in my head and me being more of an artist chose looks over functionality, tho in saying this I am extremely happy with the sound out of these.

All the drivers are cheap random brands such as response and skytronics, proper drivers seem to be marked up a fair bit here in NZ so I couldn't afford the high end drivers seen on here but they do the job fine.

So it's a 3-way system with a passive crossover at 1200 and 5400, the bass driver is a response 8inch paper woofer which is in a 44L ported enclosure with the port firing down. The midrange is a 5.25inch sealed midrange, hence I have not made and enclosure for them and the tweeter is a 1inch titanium dome tweeter(also response).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They are really a lovely pair of speakers! Kudos to you. I can imagine they sound very open and airy.
When you save your coin up a bit, I would change the jaycar electrolytic caps in the crossover to some nice metal film caps, and the inductors to copper foil. It really makes a big difference.
Apart from that you have done a superb job on them.

How did you make the waveguide for the tweeter with limited tools?

First I cut a 1" hole with a hole saw drill bit, then drew a larger hole in which I began to slowly chisel out to making sure not to chisel out the inner diameter, then just lots of sanding, its not perfect but looks good from a distance and in the right lighting.
The bass driver hole I managed to do with a jigsaw on a 45degree angle, and lots of patients.

Very nice! Sealed or ported? I'm using single M8a drivers per side, sealed, strong punchy bass and surprising extension. How do you find the sound and bass on these?
Thanks. It's sealed. Originally the plan was to build a 4 way speaker, but since it's a pre-ordered then we changed the design this way so that it can be easily driven without stress by power amp used by the person order it, which is not more than 100wpc. Yes, the result is as expected, for 88db sealed speaker driven by 100wpc the bass is quite strong, punchy and deep as well..

3 way using french loudspeaker

A short description of my system (almost finished) using french brands of loudspeaker :) : Bass is Atohm D300P04, medium is Davis 16GKLV6M, Tweeter is Audax TW034. Passive crossover with 16GKLV6M/TW034 and active crossover between D300P04 and 16GKLV6M/TW034 via a miniDSP 2x4. Bass is powered with two Hypex 2.0 modules and the medium-tweeter section with a Poppulse T150.
This is my firts multi-amp system and also my first three way system ! What a big sound with all this, "live sound" at home :cheers:

Attachments

• 2012_01_28_15_02_34_683-3.JPG
    2012_01_28_15_02_34_683-3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 4,252
Here are my ported 2.5-ways using usher 8945p woofers and dayton rs28f tweeters designed by jaykim (despite htguide's beef with him). They are driven by a pa150 lm3886 stereo amplifier (soon to be bpa300 mono blocks) and sourced by a buffalo II. I have at last fulfilled a long time goal of building my own system which was unthinkable a couple years ago (only now can I start focusing on my studies.. haha). These have great bass extension, imaging, and are the last pair of speakers I'll be needing for some time. Perhaps I am biased after investing so much time and effort, but I definitely think they give my brother's merlin tsm system a run for its money.

Yes, I need some room treatment and a larger listening room.

Last edited: