Seas Standard line? Peerless HDS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep. That's right Michael. It's the one that I sent you the finished pic of.

Sound excellent to me and others that have heard them. These replaced a set of Richters I had and loved so much. Also compared them to some B&W's I had. The daughter's (miss golden ears) comment says it all - "the other speakers just sound muffled". The top end is very smooth, no fizzzzzz, the mids a bit forward (as I like it - one of the advantages of DIY), and the bass - very nice extension and tight.

I'll get some stuff together and email it to you.

Can't tell when watching movies as the LFE is handled by the sub. Get a great soundstage though as I built a matching centre using a 5"HDS 850528. All 3 speakers blend so well.

BTW, the info you wanted should be sitting in your mail box.

Attachments

• pvc 1.jpg
    pvc 1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 423
Thanks for the comment on the centre and yep it's a Vifa D26NC and keeps the profile low and gets the centres close together. That's where the HDS sidecut drivers really help.

Always listen to music without the sub. I keep the HT & music separate.

Music: CD > integrated amp > speakers

HT: DVD > processor > sub > 3 channel amp for centre and rears > integrated amp used as power amp for fronts

How about using two Peerless 830656 (SDS134) woofers? Their combined price should be less than the cost of the 8" driver, and their combined surface area is about 90% of the area of the 8" driver. Use WinISD or something to select a suitable enclosure volume. I'd suggest aiming for a Qtc of 0.707 or 0.577..

Put in a Peerless 801730 (CT62H) tweeter, and use a series crossover at 2kHz. Use 2nd order highpass for the tweeter, 1st order lowpass for one woofer. The second woofer is in paralell with the series section, and has a 1st order lowpass at about 750Hz (for a narrow baffle). Zobel networks on all drivers.

The total cost of this solution shouldn't be too scary, and the performance should be decent, even in the absence of measuring equipment (although measuring equipment would be needed to take it, or any other design, from 'okay' to 'good').

angel, this thread is a bit old, but now that you mention it i have now already bought all the drivers i need.
I have decided on towers using a pair of peerless 850122 woofers each, and for a tweeter i chose a seas 27TFFC.
I will have the drivers arranged in MTM but the XO will be a series 2.5way.

As for cabinet it will be about 60-70L tuned at around 40hz, i should still get decent power handling and good max spl.
i shall also try a series 2way xo and a parallel to see what i like the most.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.