Small Thor -Reloaded -First build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ron

Thanks again Ron --I built speakers you built great works of hi end hi fi art. I just ordered bolts and t nuts from solen. even with shipping cheaper than Hardware store. I will try to find a way to seal the speakers the air gaps are tiny but my not be insignificant. I cannot get over how good they sound even with the damaged driver. I got out of the hobby a couple years ago and sold my good electronics (plinius class a 100w amp and proceed pre) I do not want to spend that kind of cash again. I am just using a garage sale 1060 Marantz. I know amplification is important but imho the speakers make by far the largest impact in the audio chain. I dont know if I want to give up much in the way of volume at least not at this point. I thought for my next project I would like to build an amp but after having trouble soldering speaker cable my confidence in building an amp is not that great. I would like a pass lab amp, I auditioned the small pass lab class a amp when I bought the plinius and the pass lab amp was as good or better the plinius was new. Maybe i will try to build an amp but it would have to be a kit and have very good instructions. basically step by step paint by numbers sort of thing. thanks again for your advice and help.

Ben

We dont have the disposable cash we had at that time. The proceed was prone to power supply issues the plinius was a space heater. both sounded good though.

Before I built these speakers I did not really know what to expect. People especially audiophiles tend to be bias on what they own. I was sceptical to say the least hence trying to quickly get the drivers in boxes to get an idea of what they sound like. I am so impressed. Now in the spring when I can work outside again I want to add additional material to the sides of the box like Ron told me to do but I dont want to screw up the sound and after reading a lot of threads on Daves construction thread I know I dont know s..t. So I am thinking of adding another layer of wood either thin hardwood or furniture plywood. Not sure yet.

The braces must be working the plywood on the back is the panel you can feel the most vibration thru.

Ate there any kit amps with good instructions that would work well with the small thor? I am prone to like class a amps better but tubes would be ok too,

Really want to thank you guys again. My wife and I were upstairs last night and the speakers were in the basement. playing some jazz . My wife commented that the sound was really good like being in a club with a band in the next room it was that real

thanks again

just wanted to post a picture of the speakers upstairs in the living room. My wife said that I didnt get a xmas present because this one is for her too. happy holidays all. and thanks again for all of your help. :hohoho:

Ben

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 237
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.