Best sealed enclosure for completely supressing back wave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very useful link, ra - thanks.

There's a whole other world of Acoustics out there and accessed via the "Pro-audio" sites, and also the Architects, etc magazines/sites - they had to learn how to control sound in studios, auditoriums, halls, rooms, etc and we can easily apply some of this to our own speakers, rooms, etc.

The terms may be unfamiliar, but a bit of perserverance yeilds understanding, and don't have to be an EE at all as this is actually an acoustical situation, rather than an electronic one - quite a difference really.

... my 2 cents!

From there we went to straight constrained layer damping with a lossy rather than highly compliant central layer. For the K5 and E5 (then XA75 and XA90)we used a double baffle with heavy neoprene rubber in the 1 to 2mm thick range.

For the XA reference we found a Swedish material called "noise killer yellow". I think it is still around in car stereo circles.

If I was doing it as a DIYer I would get the noise killer type material of any good brand and add an internal layer to a current cabinet....

I agree. For the baffle instead of using 30mm MDF using 2 layers of 12mm MDF and 2-3mm hard neoprene (shore hardness greater than 60) make for a better baffle. Another option would be to use 18mm MDF on the outside then the neoprene and 9mm MDF on the inside. The speaker basket cna be routed and leveled with in the 18mm and the 9mm MDF can chamfered to allow the rear of the speaker (midwoofers/woofers) to breathe.

In India we get something called Dampmat. Dampmat + 19-25mm of open cell foam can be used for internal damping.
DampMat | Facebook

For the sides I use 3 layers of 6mm ply, 1 layer of 3mm lead sheet and 1 layer of about 2mm resin bonded fiberglass mat. I have attached the close up view of this hopefully you can see the various layers.

I have attached some pictures of a speaker I am building to show the layers of the sides, intrenal bracing, front baffle, curved sides (top view). My speaker will be be related to Rick Craig's Tempesta Extreme (it is his design with some cabinet differences).

The original Tempesta Extreme.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=72216
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=72215

Attachments

• tempesta close up of side panel (1024x768).jpg
    tempesta close up of side panel (1024x768).jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 383
  • tempesta inside view 2 (1024x768).jpg
    tempesta inside view 2 (1024x768).jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 338
  • tempesta front view (1024x768).jpg
    tempesta front view (1024x768).jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 346
  • tempesta inside view 3 (1024x768).jpg
    tempesta inside view 3 (1024x768).jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 327
  • tempesta top view 2.jpg
    tempesta top view 2.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.