New forum member, new OB project - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2012, 11:22 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

I think I'm going to end up using the Snipping tool that comes on Windows Vista (it's free too and already installed ). I was actually hoping for a more ARTA integrated approach.
Old 28th June 2012, 04:53 AM   #82
solhaga is offline solhaga  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have some OBjection to your magnet mount and that it constitutes an unnecessary "footprint" for the backward air flow.
And also that the mass of the construction is not contra directional to the cone movements.

I recently did a magnet mount of some TD15H woofers in an OB constellation: OB with elegance
Perhaps you can get some do's and don't's there.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:37 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

I saw those before and have read through your build. Good work. How secure are those woofers?
Old 28th June 2012, 09:59 AM   #84
solhaga is offline solhaga  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Solid rock. Haven't moved a bit.
All forces are backwards/forwards and there they are close tight to the construction.
Old 5th July 2012, 01:15 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

So...I got a little creative over the weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.

It solves the problem of an overly large baffle and high mid and tweeter height. I'll be adding sound deadening panels behind on the ceiling and the walls to try and absorb some of the low freqs and bring the bottom end back up. But even without, I think I only lost a few (2-3) dB as opposed to having the on the floor. I will try and get some measurements done by Sunday night.

Enjoy and happy DIY

EDIT: Also - Happy 4th - Enjoy the fireworks!
Old 5th July 2012, 05:39 AM   #86
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Interesting solution! As long as it sounds good.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 26th August 2012, 11:31 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

It's been a long time since I've last posted here - lots of things going on. Almost none of which include this project. I have assembled the following baffle albeit without the compression driver (I've decided on the D220Ti). I am using the old Seas H1189 tweeter for now.

I am also using the old 3-way crossover. I disconnected the highpass for the mid and un-attenuated the tweeter section. The x-over freq is around 1.8kHz. A little higher than was I want to end up using.

I took some gated measurements from ~1m and got the following:

The large peak from 500 to 800Hz is definitely noticeable! As it should - around 10db! Yikes! The tweeter is quite a few dB less efficient than the B&C mid, so its level is clearly lower. The 4kHz dip is a little odd - Probably a phase issue? Any ideas here? I can post up the crossover if needed.

Here's a response curve for the 21"ers at the listening position:

Not too shabby I'd say - especially when the full system is sampled:

I do like my bass on the little heavier side so the bottom end I'm not going to focus on for a while. Also - it seems that the 5kHz dip is gone?

As for the rest - I'll have to find a way to get a notch filter put in for the midrange. I'm also hoping that with the addition of the D220, the tweeter level will be matched a lot better and hopefully not have the null at 4kHz.

Please remember that I'm shooting "in the dark" for the crossover as I'm just reusing my old one. I don't want to modify it too much as it will be reused in a 3-way cabinet later on.

Comments are welcome as always
Old 1st September 2012, 09:55 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

More updates

The Seleniums came in today! Total surprise as, even according to FedEx, they weren't supposed to be here until tuesday. A welcome thing over a long weekend!

And so I've been working somewhat on these this afternoon, getting them mounted and taking measurements. I do like

First pictures of the new baffles - these will soon be moved further off the floor as they are a little bit low at the moment. The tweeter will also be moved a bit further forward to be better time aligned to the midrange.

Here's a depiction of the crossover that I've adapted from my old 3-way (Notice that both drivers should be in-phase!):

Next is the nearfield measurement of the D220Ti:

The crossover point for the D220 looks to be a bit higher than what it was for the H1189 - remember that I've done no actual crossover designing/building at this point.

I did a 1m gated response for the mid and tweeter (tweeter phase inverted):

I saw the big spike at about the tweeter's crossover point and proceeded to change the phase on the D220:

Much better

Here's a measurement of the listening position with both channels playing (just mids and tweeters):

What a pleasant surprise! Way flatter than I imagined it would be.

Here's a final with the 4 21" MCM woofers (for those of you just catching up, they're running with a 30Hz In-line lowpass before the amp).

I can turn the gain down a bit to get a much flatter response in the bottom end, however I seem to prefer the extra low end.

I'm happy ... for now

Last edited by siruis815; 1st September 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 1st September 2012, 10:20 PM   #89
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Very cool. I gotta hear them some day. Nice work.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:58 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Made more sawdust over the past two days! The WAF is very high with these

A coat of paint or two will have to wait for another few days/weeks - I'm too busy listening to them at the moment. Also, I must say that I never thought a compression driver could sound so good!

Hide this!Advertise here!