A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: I measured the test tone at:
2 volts or less 143 37.43%
Between 2-5 volts 130 34.03%
Between 5-10 volts 51 13.35%
Between 10-20 volts 22 5.76%
Over 20 volts. 36 9.42%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th January 2012, 04:07 PM   #81
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
..then get an amp that could output that voltage at 60% output.
If I understand your test, then it sounds about right to me. A sine as an RMS voltage that is 70% of its peak, right? So the 60% test should be right in there, with a little extra headroom.
Old 26th January 2012, 05:05 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
If I understand your test, then it sounds about right to me. A sine as an RMS voltage that is 70% of its peak, right? So the 60% test should be right in there, with a little extra headroom.
With so many different amp topologies available generalizations are not so useful.

Some amps are not capable of any more peak output than RMS, others can put out much higher very short duration peak voltage.

What most people need for home stereo is a 1 watt amp that can put out 100 watt peaks...
Old 26th January 2012, 06:34 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Ok

PSU set to 30V, power amp sure Tk2050 4x100 & Infinity p162 8 ohms sensibility 90db room is H 2,60 W 2,30 L 4,00 meters.

I measured 1.9v the loudest I do while barely drunk sitting 3.5 meters alway from the speakers.

[]'s
Old 26th January 2012, 07:11 PM   #84
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
[*]The test signal is recorded at -12dBFS (12dB RMS below Full Scale)[*]The highest a sine wave can be recorded without clipping is -3dB RMS[/list]
is this telling us that the test tone is recorded at -9dB ref maximum output signal?
Increase the test tone by 9dB and any higher, then the test tone will clip?
Old 26th January 2012, 07:46 PM   #85
diyAudio Moderator

Yes Andrew, that's precisely it. From that how do we figure the RMS power needed to not clip?
Old 26th January 2012, 07:51 PM   #86
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
What most people need for home stereo is a 1 watt amp that can put out 100 watt peaks...
LOL. That's a new one on me, don't know that topology. Or is that just a 50 WPC amp with a wimpy power supply?
Old 26th January 2012, 08:00 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

I use 20dB of overhead from average to maximum output, if I can get it.

If I use much less than 20dB of overhead, I can hear the speaker output degenerating as the average comes up past that -20dB value.

An example of the above is that a 28.3Vac amplifier can sound quite nice at a particular average signal level. Swap in a good 20Vac amplifier and the music has just started to sound like it is loud, even though the average signal to the speaker is the same as before and is now say only 17dB below the clipping level of the 20Vac amplifier.
If I was to swap in an amplifier that had 11dB less overhead, i.e. a 5.8Vac amplifier and try to play that same average signal level, the sound would be so grossly distorted I would want to run out of the room.

When you quoted -12dB, I had reservations, but since it was only 4dB less overhead than -16dB, I thought "maybe it's acceptable" if one only uses that one type of music source that can never exceed 4times the average voltage level of the test music and test signal.

I cannot accept your -9dB ref maximum output, as a valid method of determining the maximum signal voltage that your speaker needs.
Old 26th January 2012, 08:12 PM   #88
diyAudio Moderator

Come on Andrew, forget the average recording and music levels, they aren't important for this calculation. It's much simpler than that. I know you can work it out.
Old 26th January 2012, 08:18 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

I cannot agree your method.
Your method relies on the -9dB ref maximum signal as being representative of the loudest average music signal that Members are being asked to set their systems to.

It is completely nonsensical to suggest that a 3.1times voltage overhead (+9dB ref the test tone) is sufficient to indicate the maximum power requirement of the amplifier/speaker combination.
Old 26th January 2012, 09:09 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Location: Sitting behind the 'puter screen, in Illinois, USA, planet earth
A cool and free way to examine the dynamic content of music files etc.

ORBAN Loudness Meter

"VU" (Volume Unit) is an average that sounds pretty much like how your ears hear loudness but with flat response while other views of the actual signal tell more about what is present such as the peak values.
Check your music files!.

To see if you have *inaudible instantaneous clipping anywhere in the signal chain, use an oscilloscope to examine the peaks on your amplifier output.

*it's too short to hear as traditional "clipping" but becomes detectable when compared to 'not clipped" version as it is less dynamic sounding.

Best,
Tom Danley

Hide this!Advertise here!