"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A few yrs ago. Has no crossover for the ovals, they are Tangband devised as car sub drivers so I use their natural low pass slope, and the amp sees them direct. The mid comes from professional audio PHL firm, the tweeter is a doctored Audax with 4 Ohm diaphragm from another range. The suspensions are S shape tight ones for all cones.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
* That's how the suspensions are, a picture is better than words.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 212
Seems like a lot of thought invested in those. Nice cabinet work, too. I can´t quite grasp all of the finesse with that construction but it looks impressive. My next build will be "simple" with a Seas 6,5 inch woofer and 1 inch silk dome, if I dare to start.....:).
Lol henry, of course!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Seems like a lot of thought invested in those. Nice cabinet work, too. I can´t quite grasp all of the finesse with that construction but it looks impressive. My next build will be "simple" with a Seas 6,5 inch woofer and 1 inch silk dome, if I dare to start.....:).
Lol henry, of course!

The paint to match the tweeter was a find. Some Spanish made one loaded with sand and metal a Dulux shop owner was able to recognize. Clogged up the spray pistol, was to be settling everywhere in the small hobby room of my brother in law who sprayed it no matter the nylon he hanged above and around, a mess. The outer skin tightens up the cabinets by the way, its not only for two tone effect.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I put some versatility for active in the original plan too. I got a few NL4 Speakons at their backs. There is no crossover in the top box, its housed in the LF box. NL4 & binding posts input choice wired in parallel are at the LF box on a small metal back panel. Woofers see the amp directly left to their natural early low pass and the 2 way crossover input is fed in parallel too. NL4 terminated umbilical connects split ranges upstairs. So I can convert from just an amp to biamping or up to 3 way active, or pick up the 6.5+1 inch boxes and use them elsewhere as medium to small size monitors either active or with an external passive crossover box.:)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I leave them there so to remind me I have to build my TSSA amp soon.:D:D:D

It's about time!

I put some versatility for active in the original plan too. I got a few NL4 Speakons at their backs. There is no crossover in the top box, its housed in the LF box. NL4 & binding posts input choice wired in parallel are at the LF box on a small metal back panel. Woofers see the amp directly left to their natural early low pass and the 2 way crossover input is fed in parallel too. NL4 terminated umbilical connects split ranges upstairs. So I can convert from just an amp to biamping or up to 3 way active, or pick up the 6.5+1 inch boxes and use them elsewhere as medium to small size monitors either active or with an external passive crossover box.:)

I can't decide what this pair is doing better, being nice or being clever made. But, most probably, what they do best is playing music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.