"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lets see what you will get when you will set the speakers up across the other room dimension then. But show us pictures of the system in room and where the mic stands for each vertical bar graph, noting if its one or two speakers playing if you can, this diy speaker thread came to include general education qualities about cabinets, in room sound, basic assessment etc. in a simple form real situation, which can be a paradigm to newer hobbyists for classic speaker configurations.

Sure Salas. If I try it I will post detailed info what I am doing. Like you said it has developed into something more which was not the plan. I can´t help myself beeing curious what if....:D. I hope it can be of use to someone here although many already have passed that stage and are far more advanced and already have the knowledge.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
True, they measure MLS, know tons of stuff about wave propagation, read impulse response with one glimpse, program multi way digital crossovers, materials know how, etc but you never know, there are always first time builders around.

I have moved the speakers to try if it works, this is how it looks:

Attachments

• speaker52.jpg
    speaker52.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 214
And how does it sound? Better than before! No "shouting" in the middle range, cleaner more intimate sound from singers, more detail and purer treble. Over all you can hear that the removal of side reflex sound is a big help. Bass works good too, good level and quite even.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So the solution was really "out of the box". You get very good "house curves". If you will have a look around for raw RTA stereo playing curves there are much much irregular situations to find. Even with bass traps etc. Congratulations.

Thanks Salas, the interesting thing is that the RTA measurings does not look very different now compared with before moving, but it is a big difference in sound so I guess this RTA does not show very much how room reflexes affects the sound. I will do a full Room Analysis and also full range measuring later because I think it will show more how it really is. Also I have to solve how to get placement of all things like TV and sofa to work with this new position, not easy at all....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have listened to the one CD I had most trouble with, Nora Jones "Feels like home" and I am happy to say it is very enjoyable for the first time. I wonder how many people out there do not get the full potential from their hifi equipment because of room issues......

Room issues can be the replay chain's real curse. A sanity check when in doubt of some coloration being of room or replay chain origin is a known for tone good pair of headphones always IMO. Here is how the prototype is seated by the way. Took that pic last time I was listening to it. No Nora Jones to cross check but enough different discs, the pair has decent space left and right, no evident side reflections shouts, yours must be more revealing after all the cabinet reinforcement by now though.

Attachments

• Open_Frame_T2W.jpg
    Open_Frame_T2W.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 186
Thanks henry, yes it has been a journey, but a nice one!
Well Salas, since my cabinet is not 100% like the original with same material and so on, who knows. Fun to see how the original stand is done, I had to improvise here for practical reasons, I have actually been thinking of some other stands since my solution is not very good looking, it was just the easiest way to do it.
I think maybe you Salas or someone else here should make a super version of it with a very good and resonant free cabinet ;):).
And I have used a good pair of Sennheiser headphones to compare sometimes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.