Dynaco clone with SEAS Exotic T35 tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The woofer is built by SEAS, probably loosely based on the A26RE4. Devore does however claim a fairly high sensitivity for the Orangutan, so somethings must be quite different with their driver (or they simply might be doing a "Audio Note sensitivity spec").

Hi Sascha,

i seems that the woofer is the L26RFX/P:

CES2011_DeVore_600.jpg

H1209-08 L26RFX/P

Devore wrote:

Everything clicked, said DeVore, when he found a new supplier (SEAS) for that 10” woofer. “The entire transaction went from painstaking to fun. It was a sigh of relief. That first pair of woofers, right out of the box, was much better.” The tweeter is a 1” silk-dome with a double-magnet motor system, “gently loaded by a waveguide.”

So it seems that this is a standart woofer from SEAS :)

Kind Regards

Hauke

Yes, the A26RE4 does indeed like a rather large volume. However, I have two solutions I'd like to try before I'd consider a sealed cabinet for it, namely a cabinet based on Dynaco A35 (dual chamber aperiodic) and a classic TL like this one:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/classicTL-revisited-WD.pdf

I have only limited experience with aperiodic cabinets, but from what I've heard so far, combined with the honorable mentions of others, puts this approach to speaker cabinets pretty high on my list.

Yes, the A26RE4 does indeed like a rather large volume. However, I have two solutions I'd like to try before I'd consider a sealed cabinet for it, namely a cabinet based on Dynaco A35 (dual chamber aperiodic) and a classic TL like this one:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/classicTL-revisited-WD.pdf

I have only limited experience with aperiodic cabinets, but from what I've heard so far, combined with the honorable mentions of others, puts this approach to speaker cabinets pretty high on my list.

Hi Sascha,

mmmhh TML with the A26RE4; IMHO could be very boomy :-(

We'll perhaps build a big (~85 liters) closed box for the SEAS woofer; with -3dB@ 40Hz and -8dB below 30Hz.

Kind Regards

Barossi

I use Linkwitz Pluto 2.1 but my last build was the World designs WD25A.
I thoroughly enjoyed the WD25a and keep it as my back up speaker.

This was the speaker the A26RE4 drive unit was designed specifically for by World Designs and Seas.
WD stopped making speakers when Peter Comeau left World Designs to work for IAG and the drive units appeared on Madisound.
I cannot find it on the Seas no. website so I presume they stopped production after World Designs stopped making speakers. I imagine Madisound bought up the surplus, although I am sure Seas could continue production if they get a large enough order.

That drive unit is specifically designed for Aperiodic operation, but can also suit a large enough closed box, reflex boxes or open baffles are not suitable unless only used as a midrange unit.
That speaker in Barossi's picture is very pretty. It could be an optical illusion but the dust cap looks different to the A26RE4. The paper diaphragm does appear blue, especially when the speakers are new and goes a more greyish colour, this was more noticeable with photography.

Along with Pluto the WD25a worked very successfully in my modest listening room. I am a fan of closed box operation and Aperiodic operation too.

Peter Comeau has gone on to develop a new 3 way commercial Aperiodic speaker for Wharfedale in the new Jade range. Going by the WD25 a & T I expect these will be very good passive speakers.

I chose the WD25a for it's close to wall operation, this of course curtails image depth but otherwise they are excellent.
For anyone using WD25a the upgrade to the Seas t29cf001 was well worth the cost difference.

Wd25a had an effective volume of 29 litres, the WD25T produced deeper bass but actually I found the difference surprisingly subtle, bigger differences came from the later crossover updates and the tweeter upgrade.

I noticed a picture of a speaker with a large waveguide on the Seas website, curious because to my knowledge they do not produce them. I wonder how this speaker could perform with a Geddes/Econowave style waveguide, although a26RE4 isn't all that sensitive.

Any news?

I just bought a beautifull pair of the original A25 with Palisander cabs, and I think they sound lovely, but a design with newer drivers might sound even better.
No. That's my opinion. They are really different. Peter Comeau could never get back to the original crossovers. Drivers are very different then and now. Also the final speaker design. You can also expect big differences in terms of power (W) and high frequency extension with different tweeters. "People" also expect metal cone drivers having similar sound and specs (distortion/harmonics) to paper. So your expectations have no foundation... Your "Classics" are and will be (a gem) beautiful not an "Antique", very much like the classic expensive Kefs.

"The second big news for the show is a new loudspeaker kit, which you can say is a resurrection of the old mega success Dynaco A25, and we have named it SEAS A26. We have designed a new Excel T35 dome midrange/tweeter, and combined it with the A26RE4 undercoated paper cone woofer. Our conclusion after several hours of listening: The SEAS A26 is a refined, yet simple and fun loudspeaker, meant for enjoying music to its fullest!"

!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Good for you!.
Frankly tho I'm amazed.. having bought New, both A25's and the Dyna St70 they were DESIGNED for.
Speakers were carefully tailored to cover the IMO serious failings of the ST70 amp. Farty bass and missing highs..These shrill & boomy speakers consequently sounded quite decent with their designed for Amp and frankly, quite **** with 'other' more capable amplifications.
Genuinely surprised someone would want to replicate these anachronisms.

Wow, that's a new one! When the A25's came on the market, tube amps were a distant memory for some, and completely unknown to most. I don't think anyone was designing speakers specifically around tube amps in the 70's. Solid State was it!

jeff

But the A25 had been around since the end of the 1960s. And Dynaco was still selling lots of Stereo 70s, PAS-3Xs, and MkIIIs at the time.

Wow, that's a new one! When the A25's came on the market, tube amps were a distant memory for some, and completely unknown to most. I don't think anyone was designing speakers specifically around tube amps in the 70's. Solid State was it!

jeff

Umm.. That's a unique view of History :)
Dyna tube amps were most definitely 'still around' and on the Dealer shelves in mid 70's (Certainly in Vancouver) as I bought both an ST70 & PAS and a pair of A 25's (same day, same store.) and the Dyna speakers Were tailored to those amps.. even a part of the Sales pitch.
They actually did need each other to produce their best sounds.
Because these were (I believe) THE most sold Amps of all time.. or so the brochure babble claimed... Dyna seemingly wasn't eager to simply stop producing/selling them :)
Early SS was Crap product 'mostly' .. not much of a secret amongst the paying customers.

Any news on the new A26?

Very interested in ongoing building projects, anyone..

Adam at Madisound informed me they'll be available towards the end of the year, subject to tweeter availability. I've put my name down for a set. Both units are fairly unique in their capabilities and specifications, leaving a lot of room for experimenting without breaking the (my) bank. It'll be interesting to start with the simple Cap/Resistor crossover and, if necessary, take it from there. If they do become available before the end of the year I'll put a little test-cab together in January, if not it'll have to wait till summer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.