Dynaco clone with SEAS Exotic T35 tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really like the design and outer measures of these old speakers, and I´ll try my best too keep it that way.

Placing the aperiodic chamber behind instead of on top/bottom is a poor solution, as the distance from the magnet of the driver will be too close to the back wall. "Jag trivs bäst i öppna landskap", thus want to give my drivers a little breathing space too :)
I have been trying to place an angled divider in there, but I would like to keep construction nice and simple, without too many angles...

Your next solution, however, is one that could work. I must say that I am a little skeptical about splitting it, as it would make tuning, and possibly other aspects, more complex.
I will consider it, definitely.

Keep 'em coming! :)

I really like the design and outer measures of these old speakers, and I´ll try my best too keep it that way.

Placing the aperiodic chamber behind instead of on top/bottom is a poor solution, as the distance from the magnet of the driver will be too close to the back wall. "Jag trivs bäst i öppna landskap", thus want to give my drivers a little breathing space too :)
I have been trying to place an angled divider in there, but I would like to keep construction nice and simple, without too many angles...
Off course, if it is important to keep the cabinet as "original" as possible, it is not a good idea to split the cabinet vertically.

Keep 'em coming! :)
hmmm... not to many angles you say. But - what if you make a pyramid shape that forms an inner cabinet for the driver, then the ap. chamber would surround it as the outer cab. Shouldn't be too complicated :cool:

An inner/outer cabinet arrangement could be an option. The downfall in this case would be that the volumes would be too small. I would end up with lots of narrow passages, that in turn would act as Helmholtz resonators...

I could go with the design of WD25t, had it not been that I don't want a typical high and slender "WAF speaker". My woman will have to live with the speakers I want, not the other way around. If the day should come, when she knows more about audio than me, then she'll get a say in the matter.

An inner/outer cabinet arrangement could be an option. The downfall in this case would be that the volumes would be too small. I would end up with lots of narrow passages, that in turn would act as Helmholtz resonators...
Reason for suggesting a pyramid, or better conical shape (driver mounted in the "bottom" of the pyramid), was to avoid cavities in aperiodic chamber. I don't see why the two volumes could not be balanced? The depth of the cabinet would be a little larger than the original to compensate for the extra wood inside.

I must have envisioned it the wrong way, because it somehow didn´t make any sense when you first mentioned it. I see better what you meant now, and it could be an option if I´d not been so particular about sticking to the original form factor (give or take a little) :)

I´ll check out that driver Jonasz, thanks for the tip! Do you know if it´s suitable for sealed or aperiodic cabinets?

I might not have mentioned it earlier, but bassreflex is not an option. I´ve never liked the sort, thus try to stear clear it. Had my living room been a lot bigger, I´d probably be fooling around with OB and the likes, but for now I have to make do with what I´ve got.

I must have envisioned it the wrong way, because it somehow didn´t make any sense when you first mentioned it. I see better what you meant now, and it could be an option if I´d not been so particular about sticking to the original form factor (give or take a little) :)
One benefit of this arrangement would be the redcution of internal standing waves... could be useful especially with regards to the frequency range of the 10". The pyramid midbas chamber could be made of relative thin MDF sheets, as they would be surrounded by the ap. chamber - limiting the need for size increase.

I´ll check out that driver Jonasz, thanks for the tip! Do you know if it´s suitable for sealed or aperiodic cabinets?
Not a good idea - too low qts and too high fs
the AE Dipole10 woofer would be a better candidat, especially if making the A50:
DIPOLE10 (coils in series)
Fs: 25.9Hz
Qms: 11.0
Qes: 0.73
Qts: 0.68
Vas: 118 Liters
Cms: 0.7mm/N
Mms: 54.6 grams
Sd: 345 cm2
Rms: 0.81Kg/S
Bl: 12.2T/m
Re: 12.3 ohms
Z: 16ohms
Le: 0.15mH
Pe(max): 200Watts
1WSpl: 87dB
Xmax: 12mm
Look at the xmax of this driver... enables a massive amount of power compared to the Seas A26.
An option for a high-end system would be have 10" Audiotechnology Flexunits drivers custom made for the purpose :cool:
Cheap? - eh noooo

This is the final crossover for WD25a EX, that´s the model with Millennium tweeter (T25CF002).
The question is, how much would this have to change to accommodate Exotic T35?

Attachments

• WD25aEX.gif
    WD25aEX.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 984
This has been a very interesting thread and it brought back lots of memories for me of the A25. I first heard the A25 during my senior year of high school (1969-70) at a hifi show in DC. For its introduction of its first speaker, Dyna had the speakers in an unusual display. There were behind an opaque fabric screen that I recall stretching from floor to ceiling along the entire wall of the room. There was music playing but I had no idea where the speakers were or what they looked like. It seemed that the entire wall was alive with music. At the end of the demo, they turned on some lights behind the fabric and you could see the speakers for the first time. That demo so impressed me that I saved up my pennies and bought a pair that spring. I have had a lot of speakers come and go since then, but those original A25's were something special. In fact, about 10 years ago, I bought another pair on Ebay that I have been using ever since as my "HT system." They certainly aren't perfect, and I wouldn't use them in my main music setup, but they do a great job of just getting out of the way and letting you enjoy whatever is being reproduced, music or voice.

Dave

I´ve also been eying W8, but the problem is that it´s not well suited for a sealed/aperopdic cabinet. (I´m not sure if I have mentioned it, but i´ve also got Exotic F8).

I have decided upon building two pairs of almost identical cabinets. The first pair will have a hole to fit a SEAS Prestige tweeter. The second pair, however, will be able to accommodate the Exotic T35 tweeter (but also the Excel line, with the help of a felt ring, if needed).

These cabinets will be based on a25/WD25a, and I´m building them with a friend who also wants a pair. I´m also keen to try out a build based on a35/WD25t (volume from the latter), but that will have to be a project for another time.

No, I haven't, those are nice looking speakers! I also like the design of Devore Orangutan:
http://www.devorefidelity.com/images/ssi11.2.jpg

Hi Sascha,

amazing and very beautiful speakers!

The woofer does look like the a26re4 but with phase plug :confused:

Seas Prestige A26RE4 (H1411) 10" Paper Cone: Madisound Speaker Store

Regarding the tweeter; i read:

The tweeter is a 1” silk-dome with a double-magnet motor system, “gently loaded by a waveguide.”

Kind Regards

Hauke

The woofer is built by SEAS, probably loosely based on the A26RE4. Devore does however claim a fairly high sensitivity for the Orangutan, so somethings must be quite different with their driver (or they simply might be doing a "Audio Note sensitivity spec").

I will of course be using A26RE4 for my speakers. Looking forward to the day they arrive, might even be sometime next week.

I´m by the way only days from completing (minus the finish and all that) cabinets for my SEAS Exotic F8. They have the same form factor (but bigger) and also features an aperiodic port. What's special about them is that they are built around the old BBC design principles, with thin wall cabinets (9 mm birch ply) and heavy bitumen damping.

Thread in norwegian (linked with english translation):
Thin-walled speaker cabinets, BBC-style

I´m by the way only days from completing (minus the finish and all that) cabinets for my SEAS Exotic F8. They have the same form factor (but bigger) and also features an aperiodic port. What's special about them is that they are built around the old BBC design principles, with thin wall cabinets (9 mm birch ply) and heavy bitumen damping.

Thread in norwegian (linked with english translation):
Thin-walled speaker cabinets, BBC-style

Hi Sascha,
i really like your approach and the dimensions of your enclosure of ~50 liters:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Are you planning to build the enclosure for the A26RE4 the same way?

Kind Regards

Hauke

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.