5 way horn speaker system project - tapped, bass, mids and tweeter passive active

My five way "Tonator" system. :)

Attachments

• 1tonator.JPG
    1tonator.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 438
Drivers -
Celestion 1425 3k up
Selenium D405 600 - 3k
Electro Voice EVM15L 120 - 600
JBL 2225 (8) 50 - 120 line arrays
Electro Voice EVM18B 40-100 bass horns
JBL 2242 three - one in the subhorn 40 down, two more in nearfield (direct radiator) 30 down

Very balanced sound with tremendous bass detail and power of the real thing. Literally. The upper bass horn is one I keep swapping out with two other pairs of midbass horns I have. It's simply a sealed JBL style short horn filled with a sand/expandable foam mixture. To me the short horn and EVM15 sounds the best with excellent mid and upper bass detail and low mid tone.

Yes, the room is half buried in the ground, cinder block walls on a slab with a 10 person hot tub full of water directly above the speakers. My home is 4 levels and the the horns occupy the bottom floor - the room is actually 42 by 23 not counting some timber dry wall walls that don't stop the low end. I use five 18's ten 15's and two 12's so the bass is really smooth. I have a digital EQ that I pull out every once and a while and it really doesn't sound any better then the current loading system - I also have tube traps built into the ceiling and round corner traps spread around - the rear dual 18 bass subs have variable delay and phase as well as phase on the front sub

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
look out above !!

Yes, the room is half buried in the ground, cinder block walls on a slab with a 10 person hot tub full of water directly above the speakers. My home is 4 levels and the the horns occupy the bottom floor - the room is actually 42 by 23 not counting some timber dry wall walls that don't stop the low end. I use five 18's ten 15's and two 12's so the bass is really smooth. I have a digital EQ that I pull out every once and a while and it really doesn't sound any better then the current loading system - I also have tube traps built into the ceiling and round corner traps spread around - the rear dual 18 bass subs have variable delay and phase as well as phase on the front sub

Now, that's what I call a Man-Cave! I'd say you can make the water ripple in the hot tub :)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
one more time !

LOL, yeah I've learned that listening with my ears and soul is the answer to audiophilitis. Measurements are helpful too :) as well as a wife that let's me do my thing in my room

Oh, and a real wife, too !

What a refreshing post as compared to too much of the opposite of what I read here.

The most dreaded acronym ever: "WAF"

Last edited:
After running everything active for a while, I must say that collecting the most important three midhorns in a 3-way 1st order passive xo on my best tube amp gives me a more liquid and complete sound. A little more dull, especially with the l-pad made of diy duelund resistors, but I like that the larger compression driver horn is not sounding too forward anymore. Graphite added something dull to the sometimes way too detailed mids.
I am very pleased because now I can use my bad amps for just bass or torture them with my diy ribbon supertweeters.

How is the kappa with 1st order? Supposed to be a bass guitar speaker so it should sound good wide range.

Reactions: 1 user
I have had the Kappa 15A on various crossovers.
When it was all passive it was 2nd order Bessel.
In DSP I found I liked 4th order on the 90Hz X/O and 2nd order on the 330Hz point - L-R.

I tried 1st order but felt there was too much play through into the rich and punchy mid drivers (JBL2482's).

But there is of course no right and wrong.

For my next addition I think I want a rock system addition. I am thinking an array of 12" or 15" drivers perhaps 6 each side to give me some more pump:)

That is the only thing I am considering at the moment.

When the Najda 5th channel expansion board comes out I will give it a go. Have to research into the best boom box experience and exactly what frequencies I want to restrict it to. Perhaps 50 - 200Hz to act as injection / pressure channel and I am thinking alongside the horns of course. Integration problems? We'll see.

This a big driver, even if it is very sensitive. Will a 5 watt 2A3 amp really be enough?

If not I must get another amp anyway and then I can cross everything safely and steep at 330Hz and not get too much bass to the compression drivers, but I may lose the benefits of a 100Hz-12kHz 3-way passive on the same amp that I like now.

Would that be 15A arrays or drivers that go lower and replaces your tapped monstrosities? Something in between perhaps.

I wonder if this is what Romy's injection channel is for - to add some rock stadium feeling whenever he listens to Mozart as interpreted by Yngwie Malmsteen. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I think alongside or taking over form the tapped horns as bass arrays will prob not go low enough for my Church Organ / bomb the bass requirements:)

Once I have them I can play around and get the best integration / overlap / working setup.

I can't see my dropping the tapped horn to readily but who knows.

I found my 5 watt SET EL84 amps not to control the Kappa 15A's as well as big T-amps.
I keep the EL84 SETs on the mid upper and tweeters.

Thanks, then I know what to expect. What drivers are you considering for the array?

Since they will not need to push the lowest bass they don't need to be too special. Any generic PA driver should do the job. With so many drivers sharing the load they don't have to handle much power. Maybe cheap 12" woofers with 2" VC with smaller and thus cheaper magnet structures can be used.

Eminence Delta 15a!

Attachments

• delta%2015%20response.gif
    delta%2015%20response.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited: