5 way horn speaker system project - tapped, bass, mids and tweeter passive active

Here they are in situ.

Screenshot_20231017_154712_com.google.android.apps.docs~2.jpg

Last edited:
Roughly sprayed up to match existing horn. Screw on adapter in place
IMG_20231018_111417.jpg

Not bothered finishing the backs to match yet - wanna hear the results first... Makes a nice solid unit the driver is heavy but can be picked up by the horn no problem.

In situ ready for test listen (felt damping pads left off for the pic)
From the front
Screenshot_20231017_154712_com.google.android.apps.docs~2.jpg

Listening as I type the sound is perfect - no problems integrating (I did not expect any TBH).
Obviously I'm listening RH channel upper mid horn I've just made vs Cube Audio GRP one. Can't tell any difference so far.
A pair might tell me more - Will be making the 2nd one tomorrow:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words and support.

A lathe helps with these projects. I came across a website where a great looking pair of horns were made with a router and skill - respect.

I am about 1/2 way through the 2nd tractrix horn. The drive belt on my trusty old South Bend let go so that stopped play for a while. I took the opportunity to re-design the belt / mandrel / belt tensioning system and keep a spare stretch of drive belt in stock so up and running again.

Should have a pair to listen to tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Had a really good loud listening session on Saturday morning.

Bonzo of the Wigwam community was over for a listen.
He's been getting around, listening to Avantgarde, Martin Logan, Cessaro, Tune Audio to name a few...

The DIY tractrix are performing very well indeed.
Nice to have another of the horns in the system all made by me. Only the bigger tractrix 200Hz horns that I have bought from Autotech left.
One day I might try a pair of those in GRP.

Had a really good loud listening session on Saturday morning.

Bonzo of the Wigwam community was over for a listen.
He's been getting around, listening to Avantgarde, Martin Logan, Cessaro, Tune Audio to name a few...

The DIY tractrix are performing very well indeed.
Nice to have another of the horns in the system all made by me. Only the bigger tractrix 200Hz horns that I have bought from Autotech left.
One day I might try a pair of those in GRP.

I bet your system put up a fight even against those big names.

I wonder if you have ever experienced a lack of speed and articulation and detail in those large 15" drivers in comparison to smaller midwoofers?

Last edited:
Yes, I believe they do;)

The speed question is perhaps one I'm not best qualified to answer.
I had big Tannoys before so am used and like to the 15" presentation.
I did find the FL horn bass a revelation compared to anything Tannoy / GRF / Autograph can produce.

I am still enraptured with the speed and tonal quality of say drum work and timpani - so it's enough for me, and all from my cheap easily replaceable Eminice Pro Audio drivers.

Going 12" mid bass was an option when I moved from Conical to Exponential but needed a longer horn and like the air movement and effortless ability of the 15 so decided to stay with 15".

Have you found a big difference? Perhaps multiple smaller driver arrays VS larger horn / driver?

I bet your system put up a fight even against those big names.

I wonder if you have ever experienced a lack of speed and articulation and detail in those large 15" drivers in comparison to smaller midwoofers?

Interesting informations thank you.
Personally I too have found that the Tannoy GRF /Autograpgh enclosures ..are.. weaker in Bass than a less sexy/exotic Reflex design.
Bearing in mind that most All Tannoys DC's do need a 20+ Amp capable drive for their best Dynamic performances.
Those oldsters can be finicky rascals.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Yes, I believe they do;)

I did find the FL horn bass a revelation compared to anything Tannoy / GRF / Autograph can produce.

I am still enraptured with the speed and tonal quality of say drum work and timpani - so it's enough for me, and all from my cheap easily replaceable Eminice Pro Audio drivers.

Going 12" mid bass was an option when I moved from Conical to Exponential but needed a longer horn and like the air movement and effortless ability of the 15 so decided to stay with 15".

Have you found a big difference? Perhaps multiple smaller driver arrays VS larger horn / driver?
Eminence omega pro is a damn good driver. So you use eminence for your bass duty and find it works really good?

Yes, I believe they do;)

Well, the typical 12" midbass speakers, that I have tried, sound a little more "full" in the bottom (except the JBL 2202H which is more of a midrange speaker) than let say a Fane 8M. But I doubt I will discard the Fane 8M and miss out on all that midrange detail and other attributes of the paper cone. Furthermore, a compression driver does not have enough warmth for my taste to alone cover lower midrange at around 350-600Hz. Your 15" channel may be just what I need, so stay tuned to fill in where the Fane tap out. 7 channels is a bit too much though. Never enough!

To me it is more about from what direction you start from when choosing midbass drivers. Either I start from the high detail I get from compression drivers and try to hold on to that detail as low as I can. Or I start from a healthy bass and work myself up. Maybe I won't even notice what a Fane 8M could have done to the sound. Personally I think life is too short so I will go for both the 15" and the 8". Then the sub can rumble below 100Hz in piece without having to make up for any shortcomings the midbass driver has. 7 channels it is.

Here is what Bonzo wrote following his visit:

"Thanks very much for the session. I have heard 2 way Cessaro's and 2 and 3 way Avantgarde's, also Tune Audio Animas, so it was awesome to compare them to a 5-way horn system which was DIY. Steve ran me through what each driver meant and what specific frequency he covered. I had never heard a church organ in an hifi before, but Steve's tapped horns go down so low that it feels you are listening to new notes in classical, one that you would not know existed.

The power amps and the room correction box are cool too. Normally I don't like room correction, but in Steve's system you don't notice it. Also I am a non-vinyl guy so far, but something in Steve's TT had me sitting up. Steve also knows the ins and outs of the physics of sound, so it is generally fun talking to him, and seeing a DIY set up without room treatments that sounds great. Each of his horn has a different driver. I guess most people into DIY and horns on this forum know Steve, but for others I would strongly recommend you visit Steve, Purite Audio, BD Audio to see the differences in horns and how they compare to normal box speakers - suggesting this as someone new to hifi I had the wrong perceptions about horns before, which I think are shared by quite a few, so best thing to do is go out there and listen to some horns"

To be clear - I only use a few PEQ fixes for the tapped horns and mid bass room modes - nothing elsewhere.