Active high dynamics/SPL & high performance loudspeaker system for my living room…! - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 01:30 AM   #71
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Robert GS;2549128]
Click the image to open in full size.

As a movie sound mixer, I have always been fascinated by how Europeans tend to scale their sound a lot bigger than their video displays. For those of us deep into HT, we always recommend an equal scaling of both the sound and the picture. With big sound and small picture(and visa versa), our brain will never let our eyes and ears suspend the belief we are really hearing something that is "real"
Old 30th December 2012, 05:04 AM   #72
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
As a movie sound mixer, I have always been fascinated by how Europeans tend to scale their sound a lot bigger than their video displays.
Are you suggesting that the "sound image" is proportionally as big as the physical speakers in that picture?
Old 30th December 2012, 07:48 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

No I think he is saying in order for the brain to experience the fullness of the audio / visual of a movie, you cant have one disproportionate to the other. i.e. Bose 2 channel with 185" screen.

I tend to agree... Watching Avatar on my little 27.5" computer monitor with great sound, the whole movie I was wanting for a bigger screen to wow my senses.

I have since upgraded to a 55" 3D TV, but once I have all the surround channels up and running I am going to need to bring out the projector to keep it balanced.
Old 30th December 2012, 09:03 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert GS View Post
Do any of you diyAudio members have any measurements of the TPL-150H? Also about 20kHz !
Here's mine. It's just the driver/horn with no baffle.

It will extend further down when mounted on a fairly wide speaker baffle. I have crossed it over at 900 Hz in one design I did with two 15" mid/woofers.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TPL-1.gif (12.0 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by StigErik; 30th December 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 30th December 2012, 09:08 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

And here's one in a 40 cm wide baffle, taken at 2 meters.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TPL150H.gif (12.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 30th December 2012, 10:20 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerFrank View Post
Really a nice setup Robert, looks like it sounds worth to be heard!
Hi Frank and all at diyAudio,

An update to the story of my ambitious high dynamics system…
The ambition was to build a system that could satisfy my desire to play very loud once in a while and maintain sound quality now that I didn’t have my PA disco system anymore as I stopped doing gigs and the system was sold.
The latest PA system featured my own constructed speaker boxes like the previous systems - two types of top 1.4”+15” and 1.4”+dual 15” and my “small” reflex sub bass horns (6 pcs) see attached pictures. Especially a lot of energy had been focused on development of sub bass horns over the years. See attached pictures.

The latest system was built in 2000 and it was gradually reduced to “only” one small top + sub each side and the last bits were sold in 2008. I have always loved the sound / attach of a horn loaded bass and combined with a port it also had the body that I think is required to reproduce the music truthfully. Over the years I have compared my sub bass horns with many different incarnations of ported bas boxes – I literally hated the performance of the ported counterparts (also the few ones I tried building myself).
Paradoxically, it was precisely ported bass boxes I decided to build for my living room because I wanted full potential from 20Hz and up. The idea was that the many 10 " drivers would give the attack, which I knew I could not get from the dual 18" in a reflex construction. The attach in the system was an essential part for me – the thing that I was missed the most in the Hi-Fi system that I currently had – actually I have never heard a Hi-Fi loudspeaker that will come close to anything that the ported sub bass horns can do and never will.

In the end of June this summer a friend and I had a go at the high dynamics system in my living room now that I had it up and running. He’s a sound engineer and he has a gift when it comes to analyzing the sound and tuning systems. Actually I don’t really know if he can enjoy music – always on the outlook for faults in reproduction – occupation damage. After we had tuned the system all over from scratch we ended up with a system that performed considerately better and I listened to the system for about 14 days with some more fine-tuning by myself. The result was quite good and some enthusiast also heard the system after this last update and approved the result… BUT I was not quite happy – In fact I realized this was not what I had desired although it did something quite good.
The high dynamics system lacked the attack from my PA horns – the 10” drivers was not up to the job, the subs were very sub “subbish” and last an annoying “detail” that the Beyma TPL-150H horns / 6” mid drivers didn’t mix / ad up in the listening position of my listening room – you have to move back another 2 meters before it added up perfectly (not possible). This I have experienced in two other systems using the Beyma TPL-150H besides my own – strange or not at all strange when one thinks of it - horns. In the last setup phase we tuned the TPL-150H with a little EQ around 4kHz taking out some harshness and this improved the sound, but again the perfect listening position wasn’t in the listening position of my living room. Further the living needs more acoustical damping done to the room to take on the high SPL that the system was capable of.
Current situation is that the sub boxes have been demolished and the 18NLW9000 drivers sold to guy here in Denmark that will hopefully build the ported sub bass horn we designed together in the spring. This way the drivers will be used in the “only” proper way such nice drivers should be used IMO.
The front speakers is still here and I have ported the 10” drivers enclosure to extend the low end – now flat 50Hz – dropping very very fast below 50Hz. I don’t like the sound of it – I don’t get what would make me happy – the full body of the ported sub bass horns.

So currently I am enjoying the forgiving sound of the ScanSpeak loudspeakers with the very wide and near perfect imaging – the speakers adds up perfectly and disappears – and best of all they are listenable allover the room.
The high dynamics are history in my living room and at the moment I haven’t really come up with an alternative to the ScanSpeak… Arhhhh maybe an new version with the same concept and enclosure improvements and 4-way instead of 3-way and more power – something like 2 x 10” (maybe 4 x 10” in compound) 2-4 x 6”, 2 x 4-5” + no horn AMT – all Hi-Fi drivers from ScanSpeak and/or Accuton and/or SB Acoustics and Mundorf.

Robert GS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg System_2002_1.jpg (54.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg System_2002_2.jpg (106.6 KB, 133 views)
Old 30th December 2012, 10:26 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Soundtrackmixer;3303816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert GS View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

As a movie sound mixer, I have always been fascinated by how Europeans tend to scale their sound a lot bigger than their video displays. For those of us deep into HT, we always recommend an equal scaling of both the sound and the picture. With big sound and small picture(and visa versa), our brain will never let our eyes and ears suspend the belief we are really hearing something that is "real"
Well - the room is used for watching TV and listening stereo and for the family to live in - there is no home theatre here any more. The closest we come to that is when we watch X-factor or similar on the TV with sound over the speakers. I have no intention of installing any surround sound in my living room ever again. IMO it needs a dedicated room like some of my friends have.

Robert GS
Old 30th December 2012, 10:39 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
And here's one in a 40 cm wide baffle, taken at 2 meters.
Thank you - I see near same frequency response measured around 1m and in the boxes.

Robert GS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPL150H.jpg (48.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg TPL150H_ETC.jpg (125.5 KB, 40 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!