Active high dynamics/SPL & high performance loudspeaker system for my living room…!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Way passed August - but finally I got the front pieces back from the CNC guy.
And the drivers fits perfectly :)

HighDynamics_RawFront.jpg

Now it "only" up to me to finish the loudspeakers :p

I was searching the net for info regarding TPL-150H and found your system. Well Robert, are you finished? I did remember that you in a threat on h4a mentioned that you was doing some "stuff" like this. It look's NICE!!

Have you considered the distance between the top and bottom 10" regarding the crossover?

I looking for a replacement for my jbl2402 and have been looking to the Beyma. As I understood your explanations in this threat it's a good choice?

Your system looks top dollar!!

Regards
Flemming

Hi Flemming,

Thank you for the nice words :)

NO NO - they are NOT finished, but I managed to lacquer the front panels :eek: - that's all. Maybe I will have a little time over between Christmas and New Year...

The drivers was only mounted in the boxes without the front panels back in May and only for a few days... I can't really comment on the sound quality based on these premises. Furthermore the setup only had a quick and dirty measurement and optimization - it really lacked a better analysis and fine tuning, but I didn't wanted to use the time for it as the loudspeaker wasn't finished.

I have pass on the comments on TLP-150H sound quality till the loudspeakers are finished, optimized and fine tuned....
There is still a lot of paint job to be done - not my favourite hobby :(

About the crossover point between 10" and 6" - well I think it will be doable around 400Hz or so. The Eighteensound 6NMB420 has reasonable level do to about 250Hz in the MDF boxes - I have to be careful when I make the setup here as the 6" has an acoustical slope around 12dB/oct from 250Hz ;)

diyAudio member pk should be able to tell you about sound quality of TPL-150H. You might even ask him for a demo in his basement - he lives in Jutland just like you ;)

Regards
Robert GS

Happy New Year all @ diyAudio :D

Update... no progress on the loudspeaker boxes :rolleyes:

But I managed to get a good start on an exclusive limited series of the new Chassis II 1500 configured with Digital Crossover DCN24 + 4 x PA6CC + PSU12SA + 1500VA toroidal transformer. In other words a might powerful 4-way active amplifier solution. Dim. 42(H) x 29(W) x 45cm(D) and +40kg! Pictures & description will surface mid/end January on the Ground Sound web.

Robert GS

Seems as if the TPL-150 likes red! Very nice project BTW.

We might need to talk about a smaller form factor coolback style amp for my next project, a smaller 3 way nearfield studio monitor with Scan, BG Neo8S and Raal.

Greg

Attachments

• speakersdone_small.jpg
    speakersdone_small.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 720
Hi Silent Screamer and all of you.

Well – I have been listening to the nearly finished system for some time now :D
The corner subs aren’t painted yet – reason later…
See the attached pictures for the latest developments.

The system has been measured and setup via the XOverWizard II advanced software and this has resulted in a reasonable (some will probably say excellent) sound, but I have some issues….
I feel that I have to tweak the TPL-150H some more – like there are some nasty frequencies without being 100% sure what it is. The TPL-150H measured on-axis without filtering - see attachment.
What do you think – has anyone measured the TPL-150H? and close and above 20kHz? What do you think?

Overall the sound and response of the 6” Eighteensound drivers seems to be very good and I have no direct complaints here.
The choice of the Sica bass drivers might be a bit off or maybe NOT. It results in a very nice tight punchy bass and they might have been enough if the enclosure for them had been bigger and ported... Sure would have been :cool:
I have actually tested the system without the subs for some time, but it proved that the enclosure volume for the 10” were too small – also seen in the measurements that I made.

Well – I wanted the dual 18” corner subs to begin with – now I am not 100% sure because they sound right but this is totally overkill – when my ears begin to bleed, they barely move and they extend down to 20Hz :p A year ago I actually tested with a tone generator at 20Hz - scary the wall of my wooden house moved many millimetres at high but not at all full level…!
I have even been thinking of replaced the corner subs by two ported folded front-loaded horns, because this is what I really like the very best when it comes to bass reproduction. Each horn would “only” use one driver and one box in each corner, BUT NO NO NO – this will never happen I want to keep my house standing.

AND my living room is way too small – it can’t absorb the energy, so at high SPL level the room is simply flooded. I have been thinking about damping, but I can’t really come up with a decent solution which will be acceptable to me and my family. And on top of that the system makes many things rattle at the levels where the fun really starts. :( Am I getting old…?

I am contemplating to just let the new high dynamics system go :eek: and reinstall the ScanSpeak towers after a few upgrades – maybe replacing the ScanSpeak dome with a Mundorf AMT1908C and definitely a new more potent Coolback without a digital crossover using the DCN28 to it’s full potential. The current version of the ScanSpeak tower really makes my day and they probably are more forgiving to more music material / quality – so that the overall sound is more like – “easy listening”…. I am getting old – aren’t I ?!?!

Robert GS

Attachments

• HighDynamicsFront_1.jpg
    HighDynamicsFront_1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 702
  • HighDynamicsFront_2.jpg
    HighDynamicsFront_2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 685
  • High Dynamics_sub.jpg
    High Dynamics_sub.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 659
  • High Dynamics_20120602_left.jpg
    High Dynamics_20120602_left.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 307
  • High Dynamics_20120602_right.jpg
    High Dynamics_20120602_right.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 290
  • XOWIIadv_TPL150H.jpg
    XOWIIadv_TPL150H.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 328
Seems as if the TPL-150 likes red! Very nice project BTW.

We might need to talk about a smaller form factor coolback style amp for my next project, a smaller 3 way nearfield studio monitor with Scan, BG Neo8S and Raal.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Nice red boxes - I really like the deep red colour for loudspeaker boxes...
Maybe I have to repaint the ScanSpeak towers if I go ahead reinstalling them ;)

You are always welcome to contact me about a set of Coolbacks :up:

Robert GS

I feel that I have to tweak the TPL-150H some more – like there are some nasty frequencies without being 100% sure what it is. The TPL-150H measured on-axis without filtering - see attachment.
What do you think – has anyone measured the TPL-150H? and close and above 20kHz? What do you think?

Hi Robert. Excellent project!

Comparing the manufacturer's spec to your own measurement of this driver, there seems to be a discrepancy up above 10kHz: their plot is flat, while yours has a dip. I find that equalising such deviations can introduce problems, rather than solve them. DSP tools are very powerful, but one can over-compensate or, rather, mis-compensate.

My suggestion: do some off-axis measurements and see whether that dip also exists off axis. Alternatively, try smoothing your measurement to 1/3 octave before applying equalisation.

I find that exercising constraint when equalising the tweeter yields good results, usually.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.