energy veritas 2.2i crossover project

Thanks Miles, that confirms it's what I said earlier: those caps are part of a Zobel network.

yep, if you actually think it through, it's a bandpass filter, focused on a very specific frequency range, and with the 15,7.8 ohm resistors in parallel with each other, effectivly making it 5.1 ohms accross the speaker at those freq's -- makes your amp happy

the 2 inverted 1200uF's threw me off

Last edited:
mundorf supreme resistors (20W)

I notice you have 10W resistors. Did you change them to 20 as well?

Did you find exact values for your coils? Is close enough, good enough?

From what I understand cross branches are not as important. In my lower and upper woofer thats where everything is with the exception of two coils. I understand the two 1200uf caps are not that imporatant to swap out.

Does anyone know if the other three cross branches are worth upgrading or are they not as important as the two 1200uf caps?

Any help would be great

midrange inductor

finished the midrange inductor (.85mH), also the bass inductor is there (2.0mH)

also a pic of the original removed inductor

and, I had to unravel it to get to ~ .85 mH

Attachments

• DSC00584.JPG
    DSC00584.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00580.JPG
    DSC00580.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC00540.JPG
    DSC00540.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC00534.JPG
    DSC00534.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I don't suppose that while one of you gentlemen has your energy veritas apart you could take some tweeter measurements for me? I have a pair of 2.3i with a blown tweeter. To replace it I need the sensitivity, mounting diameter, and impedance.
Or if anyone knows of a good replacement .... :)
I was thinking of getting one of those nice vifa ring radiator jobs - any other thoughts?

Thanks a mil!
JR

I don't suppose that while one of you gentlemen has your energy veritas apart you could take some tweeter measurements for me? I have a pair of 2.3i with a blown tweeter. To replace it I need the sensitivity, mounting diameter, and impedance.
Or if anyone knows of a good replacement .... :)
I was thinking of getting one of those nice vifa ring radiator jobs - any other thoughts?

Thanks a mil!
JR

I think you need to replace the mid/high module, didn't look like you can remove just the tweeter

What ever came of this? Did you improve your Veritas? Is it worth it and what is the upgrade cost? I've had a pair of 2.2i's for maybe 7-8 years. Had the 2.2's but the glue holding the piano black finish on was failing and peeling up. The surrounds on one of my woofers was coming up as well so I was able to get them replaced. The i series was out so I got upgraded. I was able to get them to swap out my 2.0C center to the i series as well as I didn't want mixmatched series. My original matching stands have been great from day one. They are filled with sand. Been having the itch to mix it up and may go with a new set of Monitor Audio Silver RX6's or RX8's. I havn't been able to decode the new HD audio formats as I'm using a Halo C2 pre/pro still. I'm adding an Oppo bluray with analog outs so i can input into the Halo with analog and get the hi-res joy. But am curious if the Veritas will be holding me back with my lack of the higher frequencies that the newer tweeters are capable of these day over the old tweets of the Veritas. Did your upgrade improve this? or is this a property of the tweeter and a filter in the xo?

Energy Veritas Schematics:

V2.4
V2.4i HF
V2.4i LF

Hello, thank you very much for posting the schematics!

I have 2.4, these have 3 woofers. I am curious, if all 3 woofers are different drivers.
I can see all 3 woofers are crossed on different frequency, but are the drivers all same?
Schematic simply says Middle Woofer, Upper Woofer, Lower Woofer. No model numbers for some reason. Normally schematics use the drivers model number, but not Veritas.
I emailed Energy, no reply.

Does anybody know what are the woofers used in 2.4? I really need model numbers! Searching ggl fir last 2 hrs got me nowhere.

Maybe you guys can help!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello, thank you very much for posting the schematics!

I have 2.4, these have 3 woofers. I am curious, if all 3 woofers are different drivers.
I can see all 3 woofers are crossed on different frequency, but are the drivers all same?
Schematic simply says Middle Woofer, Upper Woofer, Lower Woofer. No model numbers for some reason. Normally schematics use the drivers model number, but not Veritas.
I emailed Energy, no reply.

Does anybody know what are the woofers used in 2.4? I really need model numbers! Searching ggl fir last 2 hrs got me nowhere.

Maybe you guys can help!

Hi, all the woofers are the same, although the crossover is asymmetrical. The woofers were made by Energy and are no longer available, however new old stock drivers do come up for sale on eBay from time to time. I found a Seller in France last year who had 5 or 6 spare drivers for sale. Also Energy replacement parts were very expensive. Note that the Veritas 2.4 uses different drivers than the 2.4i. Here's some info from an old Canadian price list of Energy replacement parts that I found online:

Energy Veritas 2.4:
Woofer model number: 4DR//51871
Price (Canadian): $251.16

Energy Veritas 2.4i:
Woofer model number: 4DR//51913
Price (Canadian): $300.84

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Hi, all the woofers are the same, although the crossover is asymmetrical. The woofers were made by Energy and are no longer available, however new old stock drivers do come up for sale on eBay from time to time. I found a Seller in France last year who had 5 or 6 spare drivers for sale. Also Energy replacement parts were very expensive. Note that the Veritas 2.4 uses different drivers than the 2.4i. Here's some info from an old Canadian price list of Energy replacement parts that I found online:

Energy Veritas 2.4:
Woofer model number: 4DR//51871
Price (Canadian): $251.16

Energy Veritas 2.4i:
Woofer model number: 4DR//51913
Price (Canadian): $300.84

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much, electrafixion71!

I have the tweeter/midrange dome units, and was thinking using those in another project, I have not heard them, but the hi/mid units have been praised as very, very good!

You really helped out, I have an option to grab 2 4DR//51871 woofers. But I did not know if those are correct drivers.
I have 2.4 cabinets, the cross overs, and hi/mid units. Bought the cabinets at good price, just to get the hi/mid units, to use in another project.

I knew Energy asks way much for woofets, and since I would need to buy all 6, buying them from Energy was out of the question.

Now I can now use the 2.4 cabinets, each will have 1 woofer only, will have to find a way to cover 2 lower cut outs, probably thick veneer or mdf round panels.
They become Veritas 2.2 basically.

Maybe fill the cabinets with sand to get to the internal volume of 2.2 :) the 2.4 tall cabinets would become very heavy, and inert. I would have to find Veritas 2.2 internal volume.
Will experiment with existing crossover, but more likely will use Rane 3 way active crossover.

I love the help from this forum, and cool forum members!

:)

Last edited:
I have a 2.4 that has a blown tweeter. Can I remove the grill and unmount the tweeter from the tweeter/mid-range module?
And I have a 2.2 with bad woofer. I measure the woofer and it seems the coil is to completely open. If the voice coil is good, is there any way to fix it.

I recently acquired a pair of evo2 gen II amplifiers that I running in mono mode to drive a pair of Energy VERITAS 2.4I speakers. Warmed up amps for two days, using rca interconnects from my Denon 4520ci pre-amp section to each amp, and made sure speaker connections are correct. Amps work up until the volume is raised and there is a drama sequence in the music that cause the amps (both amps) to go in protection mode briefly. The amps will go in and out of protection mode unless I turn the volume down. Now, the volume levels are not all that loud and I can drive these speakers a lot harder with my Denon rated 150 watts into 8 ohms. Do you know of any problems with your amps driving the Energy VERITAS 2.4I speakers? I know mono mode of the evo2 is rated for 400watts which is higher than the manufacture specs for these speakers (250 watts), but I thought it would give the speakers more head room to play with. My problem is I don’t know if there is a problem with the speakers (suspect crossovers) or the amps. I will however note I did attach a pair of Klipsch RF5 speakers to the amps and they seemed to not put the amps in protection mode, however they are really, really efficient speaker ( Sensitivity of 99dB) and I can’t tell if the speakers are really calling on the amp power source like the Energy speakers ( sensitivity 90db) might be doing. What causes your amps to go into protection mode intermittently? Is there any reason the crossovers would make the amps think power is going to ground and enabling the protection circuit? I see nothing in the crossover diagrams that would suggest an over load protection for the woofers or tweats. All the woofers seem to be in good shape and work fine with 150 watt applied to them. Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting this, it's really cool. I'm about to do something similar with the 2.3i. Someone on here was nice enough to share the xo schematic for the high frequencies. If any of you have the schematic for the low frequency xo and could share it. I would really appreciate it. I'm going to try to make my own point to point wired crossovers.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.