Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Maybe if you'd bothered to browse the 160 posts (in this, albeit, silly thread,) you'd have found out that that effort was aimed at a completely different objective than the one being discussed here. Danny's effort wasn't even to "improve" the crossover (or speaker,) per se, but to highlight possible differences "quality" crossover components can yield. (An effort designed to sell crossover component product........and nothing to do with the premise of this thread.)

Cheers,

Dave.

If anything the study warrants an investigation. A check on self belief and "religion" :)

I just finished these yesterday. Now to find out myself this Dipole vs. CD conondrum.

Also cheaper and more powerful than the Behringer btw :)

oh3vU.jpg

I will report soon.

Last edited:
Great! :cool: I also use open baffles, and though I find it unattractive to listen to "boxes", EW thing caught my attention. I am really curious about your impressions, considering the fact that you are also OB fan. I had some ideas, maybe not so practical but...what if we could build a "horn-loaded reflex box" with the 12" woofer and the EW waveguide on top. I mean something like Half-Chang with 12" woofer (http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/images/HalfChang3D.gif). It could be huge, but kick a**! :)

Gain, those are lovely! Perhaps they could be considered 'modern' Klipsch Heresy's? How's the bass? How's the driver integration?

As for OB vs Box... within a week or two i will be comparing just those two techniques... tho using totally different drivers to accomplish the same goal of lifelike music reproduction in my home. I think we can all agree both will have their pros and cons... but i suspect and hope there will be way more pros!

Zilla

Yes they are Econowaves as pioneered by Zilch. Except the woofers which are Eminence Beta 12"

I dislike building boxes, especially with a handsaw. Nothing went square. Thankfully it's a matter of sanding and painting later. They're not even glued yet, just screwed at the moment, but perfectly sealed.

I've just finished the xo. Very nice with these monopoles, very easy to do the electronics. Very simple. They are active (MiniDSP) and I shape the response to match as closely as possible to my dipoles (20hz, Q=0.5)

I must say I'm very surprised with them. I'll start a separate build thread to report. First impressions can be misleading so I need to live with them for sometimes.

B2031P have 2khz crossover.
whatever the slope is, 8in woofer can't sound good at this frequency. it may be ok for very moderate listening levels.

From the polars I've seen, there's no sign of beaming at 2k. Anyway, I seem to enjoy 1st order designs the most (also the most difficult to achieve?). I know the B2031P isn't a 1st order design in the least, but I thought maybe if I was lucky there might be some chance it was near a 2nd order acoustic. Higher order slopes don't seem to go well with me. It just doesn't sound musical to me at all, and I get this sense that the crossover is just yelling out at me, pointing itself out. With first order slopes, I don't get that at all. Imaging often suffers a bit, but it's much less colored and more musical to me. And I'll take a first order design with 3 or 4 drivers over a single full range driver setup any day. Anyhoo, I was just curious. I know the active version uses digital 4th order, but the passive version doesn't say. If it's something weird like 3rd order on the tweeter and 2nd order on the woofer, I'll scratch it off the list.

B2031P have 2khz crossover.
whatever the slope is, 8in woofer can't sound good at this frequency. it may be ok for very moderate listening levels.

Not true!

Check this speaker and report back:

The QM60 | Guru Loudspeakers

Reviews (mostly on the smaller entry level design QM10):

Reviews And Quotes | Guru Loudspeakers

As the saying goes, don't judge a book by its cover. :)

If a low distortion, low inductance motor is used with a good cone design I know from experience that a 8" woofer can play up to and above 3kHz with top notch performance.

In fact one of the absolute best speakers I've heard are a MMTMM version with said 8" driver.

/Peter