The secret of building a good 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
In 40 years of building speakers the best 2-way i've done is Tysen... active XO (PLLXO @ 333Hz) SDX8 sealed, FF85KeN in midTL.
Hi Dave,
I am intrigued by your two way utilizing a widerange driver. I have always been interested to build a two way in this fashion, but when comparing the use of a widerange driver to a small 1" tweeter, I found that widerange drivers have rather poor off-axis response at high frequencies. I believe this is due to basically beaming due to the large cone. A regular tweeter does much better in this sense, so I am forced to choose between poor high frequency off-axis (and for many drivers on-axis as well) response, or a crossover in an area where hearing is most sensitive. Would you agree?

And no, I don't think crossovers are evil at all, just too many speakers with non-optimal designs (read: poorly designed).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tired 2 Way Box

roger_lew said:
Salas,

Your Seas/HDS 2 way looks intriguing. Where is that one documented?

Roger

Salas said:

Nowhere. I have the Leap crossover schematic data, I must measure the cabinet dimensions when I will visit my friend's place really soon and I will post here.

Attachments

• tiredbox.jpg
    tiredbox.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,366
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tired 2 Way XO

Woofer = SEAS CA22RNY
Tweeter = Peerless HDS

L1 = 2.5mH (2mm d. wire)
L2 = 0.25mH (1mm d. wire)
L3 = 1mH (1mm d. wire)
C1= 4u7//0.68u PP high quality
C2 =10u//2u2 PP high quality
C3 =33u NP//0.22u PP high quality
R1 = 3R9 10W Mills
R3 = 15R 10W Cement

No polarity inversion nowhere. All inductors air core.

Attachments

• xr.gif
    xr.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 3,023
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Salas said:
the purity and treble of EJ Jordan JXR6HD is tops.;)..

Don't be so sure... I'm sure the Jordan is very good, but once i'm done with the FF85 it is pretty good.

I don't know when i'll get a chance to listen to them, but i am sending a set of uFonken to the guy who made all but the latest JXRs. It will be interesting to get his feedback.

dave

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
roger_lew said:
Salas,

Thanks for the drawing and the crossover schematic. I'm very impressed. I can definitely see the value in this combination.

My dad's been talking about getting some floor standing speakers. Maybe I can talk him into letting me build him a pair.

Roger

They use current and good value for money drivers, they are efficient enough, have friendly impedance, take some power, go low enough, not small, not big, have shown all minute differences in my phono stages with ease and true tone. Can't lose by making a classic 8inch good 2way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.