The secret of building a good 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Smooth and Extended Frequency Response for the woofer and tweeter is ideal. This makes the crossover manageable.

I am presently testing out a Tang Band W5-704S mated with a HiVi RT1C Planar Tweeter. The RT1C is quite amazing. It has a very flat response and impedance is virtually resistive. Two very desirable features. Best of all, the cost is reasonable.

Hi Dave
Great work on your Chameleon. I enjoyed reading your development process.

Mike

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Hex should have a pronounced resonance at the end of its passband as it is belonging in the stiff cone family. Needs crossover trap, and IMD reflects lower than its resonance band in such cases. I would not consider stiff 8 inch transducers as adequate as progressively damped ones for using them above 1.5kHz. Just my thoughts.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. For the ones you refer to, the 7inch looks better for the task, for the tweeter I don't know to answer specifically. The HDS that I used had good low THD in third party tests if I remember correctly.
In general for such a speaker as a whole I would prefer to result at a no less than 88dB SPL/1W sensitivity after 3.5dB baffle step correction.

Thanks for advices.

With 7" Eton there's no way to achieve SPL 88 dB with 3dB BSC.
Midrange / Bass-Midr. - Home-HiFi - Products - Eton GmbH
Pistonic area is 137 cm2 versus CA22RNY's 230 cm2. 8" is way more bigger cone if that makes anything. Maybe it gives bottom more "easily" than almost half small cone. Also CA22RNY has nice and smooth by responce. But is it still too big for midrange frequencies?:rolleyes:

Bass responce comes mainly "from enclosure" which I'm going to make quite "big". 30-35 litre big standmounter like Harbeth C7. Harbeth UK

What do you thik, is there sense in my thoughts?:spin:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Smooth and Extended Frequency Response for the woofer and tweeter is ideal. This makes the crossover manageable.

I am presently testing out a Tang Band W5-704S mated with a HiVi RT1C Planar Tweeter. The RT1C is quite amazing. It has a very flat response and impedance is virtually resistive. Two very desirable features. Best of all, the cost is reasonable.

Hi Dave
Great work on your Chameleon. I enjoyed reading your development process.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. When I did this I had no illusions that it would be a high-interest design as I like to take DIY one step farther such as tweaking drivers (usually at no cost for the tweeter) and I didn't want just another 2-way, hence the passive radiator option. It was also not the easiest crossover for driver integration. More expensive drivers often are easier to work with, so this was a bit of a challenge and I thought it was a good example to use to demonstrate what it can take to get a good final design with inexpensive drivers that have potential.

I'll be hosting DIY New England in just over a week, so I'll be able to get a lot of feedback as there seems to be a lot more interest this year.

Dave

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe it is still better stick with 7" cone. Same people say that 3-5" is midrange driver, not 7-10".:) But 4-5" can't produce any real bass. World is full of choices.:cool:

22RNY has quite lightweight cone, 17,8 g. 7" Eton 7-732 has only 2 g lighter cone.

If there is proper integration, nothing beats bigger for all other things equal and same bandwidth use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.