Cone treatment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a search for that and the only thing that comes up posts on audio forums. I looked at some puzzle places and the glues were either wood glue or something else that hardens. I'm NOT looking for something that will harden and stiffen the cone. Any other ideas? Tangband uses this stuff on there dome mids so it can't be that hard to find. I just don't know what it is.

I use Vinylflex from Intertechnik, a black fluid compound especially made to treat paper membranes; it doesn't smell and dries quickly, resulting in a black visco-elastic layer; I had good results in damping a MCA12RCY cone which I didn't want the filter to be modified.
But I don't know where to buy it in the USA, sorry.

I have used Butyl Rubber thined with Acetone and painted on. It never hardens, stays sticky in fact, which can be a problem.

By far and away the best stuff that I have found is soft polyurethane thickened with micro-balloons. That stuff is amazing. Never hardens, the micro-balloons make it super damped. Its just hard to find and use. The chemicals are not your everyday variety.

Use The Wet Look

It's available at Parts Express in pint cans. It appears to be the same as is often seen applied by manufacturers to the surround alone or the cone surround junction. You can see how to apply it and the effects of each coating as I applied it to the Insignia woofer when I was experimenting with it. I have a section at my site that documents the changes with measurements, on-axis only. The resonance in the 1k area and the breakup were reduced, enough to be useful in my opinion.

I treated a PP cone as well, similar results.

Links at this page

It does nothing on hard coned drivers as a surround tweak and not much on some other materials such as as the wool coned ones. It seems most effective on paper-based cones and those such as the Insignia, what looks like Kevlar but may be just a woven polypropylene.

It brought the peak-to-peak 1K swing down by about 4db for the worst case and the unit-to-unit consistency below 5k to +/- 0.5db with exception of on small area.

The step at 1K also is not entirely due to the woofer. You'll see some measurements that show that much of that problem is diffraction related to the coaxially mounted tweeter. It's not a good design for ultimate quality, but it is decent for something that was cheap.

I think that the target is those who want to apply it to the entire cone, but it is going to add quite a bit of mass in the process, so be forewarned. I tried adding it to the former attachment point. The sensitivity starting dropping quickly and there was no benefit that I could measure.

Dave

We use a specifically formulated PVA coating on the Lambda cones that comes from CP Moyen. You have to buy it in gallons though. It is similar to the coating that is used to seal cloth accordion surrounds for professional drivers. you can go to www.recone.com and find reconers in your area. Call one up and see if they will sell you some.

About the best easily available substitute would be TiteBond Melamine glue. http://www.titebond.com/ProductLineTB.asp?prodline=20&prodcat=3 You can get it at home depot, lowes, etc.

John

John_E_Janowitz said:

No the melamine glue dries quite soft. Similar when dried to a softer silicone caulking.

John

John

Thanks for that link. That sounds like the stuff that I have been looking for. Its air dry and not two part - thats perfect! The polyurethane is great, but the two part mixing is a real pain. If this Titebond stuff works that saves me a lot of trouble.

Re: Re: Use The Wet Look

planet10 said:

Usually not woven, the appearance of kevlar is just an immpression in the mold.

dave

It's not the individual "bands" that I'm referring to, it is a weave of flat strips of material. B&W uses kevlar in this manner, but cheap drivers such as the Insignia are not, I'm fairly sure. If it is, it's not very good manufacturing. But at that price...

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.