FE206E+woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Similar, as you can see. I rolled it off a bit under 100Hz to give a more damped sound. 93db 1w / 1m at 30Hz before room-gain, with a 15in woofer. Many would never want for more.

Attachments

• image1.gif
    image1.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 379
the room where I place the horn I think is perfect. Because it is all open in the side behind the cabinet. The back wall will be 1,4 meter away. Also no echo

Tinitus, do you have the graph of FR of that driver? What xmax it has? If it FR is linear to 4000 I could cross around there...otherwise 200 or 500 as suggested by scott. But how laud will play in the horn? to cross well with FE206E it should be at least 96db.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sorry, not much more information on that Gamma
I believe that its a remake of a woofer used in a 3way, which was very popular here up north, many years ago

Looking at the specs, Fs and SPL tell much of what is needed
Those 2 parameters means that it will be more linear than the Eminence, which probably wont have any higher sensitivity in bass, and it may not have the rising FR of others

Actually it will be only 3db down at 40hz in 200liter CLOSED and -6db at 30hz, which is pretty good, open box designs may do even better but VAS is pretty high and with bigger open box there may be some risk of boominess

Don't try taking a big driver up high -the last thing you want to use a bass driver to cover the critical midrange where our hearing is at its most sensitive.

Speaking generally now, you design a cabinet for a specific driver, (unless on the rare occasion that it's intended from the outset to be a generic box). Something very close in specification to it might work passably & with a little tweaking if you're lucky. A completely different driver? That's for the end user to decide upon -they know the box isn't designed for it, so they know they're risking it not working.

tinitus said:
Looking at the specs, Fs and SPL tell much of what is needed
Those 2 parameters means that it will be more linear than the Eminence, which probably won't have any higher sensitivity in bass, and it may not have the rising FR of others

Er, excuse me? Those two parameters do not mean it will be more linear than anything. Fs is just the free-air resonant frequency of the driver, and SPL the sensitivity, taken in whatever manner they see fit (there is no industry standard). So no linearity answers there I'm afraid.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
No, offcourse not a general rule as such, but very commonly so, nonetheless :)
Lower sensitivity often means more linear smoother midrange and the same very often applies to bass with low Fs and medium Qts, breakup issues not accounted ;)

If you dont agree I wont argue any more, I only thought you would be interested in that 12", nothing more to say about that :)

I thought that would make a general rule? ;) To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, given that you say you're not refering to break-up modes. (?)

A poor response, irrespective of relative motor power and / or sensitivity, is simply indicative of duff driver design (unless there is a specific purpose behind it). Also note that a driver with a more powerful motor should be superior, especially in handling transients, to units with less relative magnet strength, and ultimately are likely to require less amplifier power when attempting to handle large dynamic peaks at ~live SPLs.

It seems a decent unit for what it is, so for anyone wanting a mid-Q 12in driver, it'd probably be worth looking at.

Did you designed that horn with PA application in mind? There is difference between pa and hifi?

The monacor goes a lot lower, more flat. The eminence is a lot damped, isn't too damped for hifi? If I use the monacor then I can put absorbing material inside to damp the sound if I want, it makes sense?

I'm in your experienced hand,
all I don't want is an uncontrolled bass that covers the mid( and with the tail) as I heard from an 8000euros laudspeaker from a famous brand I listen the other day, also the medium frequencies were horrible( brighter than my FE206E can you believe it?!!).

Marry Christmas!

And the same to you and your family.

I designed it for both uses really. It's odd in a way that the two are so often classed apart. They'll do the PA thing fine, but the drivers are both high quality, and the overall response is good, so they've got the hifi thing down pat too. Note that they both go as low as each other: system cut-off is 24Hz, and in both cases, at roughly the same SPLs.

The Eminence is better damped, so when room-gain is factored in, boom is not going to be an issue. The Monacor, because it's ~flat, could be a bit-much in terms of gain as is, but that's what tweaking is about: too much gain is good in a way -you can always damp down what you don't need. Both are more sensitive than your 206 (I should hope so: 15in drivers with reasonably powerful motors) so you're going to need to damp them anyway. Dial them in right, and I'd happily put them up against some generic 8,000 Euro commercial BR box. Bring 'em on & we'll teach them the meaning of bass done properly.

So i go for the Eminence.

I was thinking, it is possible to use a more linear driver than FE206E as midhigh unit?
Omnes Audio L8 seems pretty linear for a fullrange, allthough it requires a supertweeter.
Coaxial driver: Hawthorn driver for example.
But they're all less sensitive than Eminence. I woudn't put a resistence to the eminence, because it weaken the driver, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.