miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I would be interested in delaying my woofers (0.5ms) to make crossing them simpler. Crossovers are taken care of so nothing but delay for them.

I want the unaltered signal sent to my tweeters. If there is a processing delay, then I guess I'd need to send that one clean through the processor.

Then I want control over the subs (up to 3 if possible)...individual level, low passing, and either discrete control over phase or simply variable delay.

Would I need more than one, if so can I run them together like this, and do you post to Australia?

Ok, could you please clarify to make sure you understand right?
- Is this a passive or active speaker we're talking about. i.e. you say crossover are taken care, do you mean by a passive crossover inside your speaker? If so I don't see how it would be possible to have the miniDSP in this equation since it operates at the line level (prior amplification)..
- If you can please clarify a bit more your system (maybe a diagram or simple description of your audio chain/elements) it would help us.

In essence, the miniDSP can be used as a time alignment device only. You can also bypass the Low & High pass filters on each outputs to allow you to have full range to your tweeters..

Once we have a better idea of your system, we'll be able to suggest a configuration and we indeed ship to Australia.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Ok, and thanks for responding.

I currently use two stereo amps - two-way mains, and subs. All crossovers are passive. If I were to introduce a delay in my midwoofers, I would then use one stereo amp for the tweeters, one for the woofers, and two or three separate amps for the subs. This much would be given.

I don't require processing for the tweeters. If it were convenient, I could cross with processing instead of passively, but this is not a priority.

The woofers would require delay only. Again if it were convenient I could cross with processing but this is not a priority either.

For my subs I am looking for either two or three channels of processing for three things. To lowpass (each at a different frequency), to add delay (each channel a different amount, or even discreet phase adjustment if possible), and thirdly, simple room EQ.

Off hand, would you have an idea of the postage cost?

Allen,

Not seeing your speaker it would be hard to say but I can see two options and just want to confirm to make sure.. :)
- Your tweeter is without horn and say mounted to the front panel. Then most likely, it's the acoustic center of the tweeter that will require to be time aligned with the acoustic center of the woofer basket (deeper/further in the horizontal plane)
- Your tweeter is horn loaded, then in this case it's indeed the woofer that will require to be delayed/time aligned to the tweeter. (tweeter acoustic center further in the horizontal plane).

Anyway, just want to confirm that it's indeed the woofer that needs to be delayed.. :) you could just confirm with a simple impulse response.

If you indeed want to delay the woofers, a 2.1 Advanced plug-in with the signal from your Preamp is all you need.

For the sub signal, it will depend if you're getting this from a separate SUB output from your preamp or deriving it from the Left&Right channel (i.e. LPF on the L&R channel).
- If you have a sub source (mono), then maybe you need a dedicated miniDSP for that (already used up all channels).
- If you don't, then you can then use the extra 2 output channels for your subs. You mention that you need 3 channels, maybe you have 3 subs?
What you're looking for is quite basic and easily achieved.

Have a look at the audio flow diagram of the miniDSP plug-in in the datasheet. I think that it will provide the information you're looking for.

Your config for a 2 x input, 4 x output configuration (sub channel derived from L&R signal)
- 1 x miniDSp kit or 2x4 unit
- 1 x 2.1 advanced plug-in

Your config for a 3 x input (L, R, Sub), 4 output configuration (Left Woofer, Right woofer, SUB 1, Sub 2) would be:
- 2 x miniDSP Kit or 2x4 units
- 1 x 2.1 advanced plug-in

Hope this helps

after a few months of playing, I love it... in fact, everybody who has come by both audiophiles and industry members are in awe when I tell them that my room is actively done via dsp... "of course I do this after the session :)"

my request for upgrades is 2 things.. on the output gain, could a text box be added as well? that way I can input a number... also, could half db increments be done as well?

Thanks again!!!

after a few months of playing, I love it... in fact, everybody who has come by both audiophiles and industry members are in awe when I tell them that my room is actively done via dsp... "of course I do this after the session :)"........

Thanks again!!!

I was glad to see your post as I've read very little about the Sound Quality of the MiniDSP when used full range with high quality speakers.

I'm in the process of converting our 3 way Klipschorns and LaScala clone center to 2 way with Active Crossovers. I'm presently using a DCX2496 for our Danley DTS-10 sub but would like to use the MiniDsp's for everything. This will be very helpful as the only pro amp we have is an EP4000 for the sub and I'll get a bump box for its input.

So are there others of you used that have used the MiniDsp on high SQ full range speakers? If so I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Rod

after a few months of playing, I love it... in fact, everybody who has come by both audiophiles and industry members are in awe when I tell them that my room is actively done via dsp... "of course I do this after the session :)"

my request for upgrades is 2 things.. on the output gain, could a text box be added as well? that way I can input a number... also, could half db increments be done as well?

Thanks again!!!

Glad to hear that you're a happy customers with our products! :)
Both request seems quite valid to us and could indeed be implemented in future revisions...

Looking forward to seeing your future work!

Major Disappointed with 48kHz and 64Fs input .

I am sick ans tired tonite. But I want clarify one thing. Is it true that you only have 48kHz and 64Fs input still. I don't mind using your dacs on the output but I don't mind using other dacs either, But I need hi definition input or faster sampling rates at least. I am major worried this is not going to be sufficient enough to produce acceptable sound. I need eq and delay with my new setup. But I need Hi Fidelity too. I am even hoping I am going to be able to extract some hi-sampling rates out of my austar decoder. Being HD and all. Using my decoders dacs then converting back to digital then converting back analogue. I fear this isn't going to come out well. My whole new 4 way active horn set up hinges on this device. I don't think I can afford anything dearer. Sorry If iam sounding a bit fussy but I don't think Iam going to have any resolution left after all that sampling.

Processing delay will depend on the amount of filters enabled so not a one answer for all. You can expect from 1.5 to 2.5ms depending on the filters enabled. The safest way is to run an impulse response to get the accurate value based on your configurations.

For a surround solution, I guess that you may need to also delay the rear speakers if that's really a need.. I'm not sure how much it would affect in a surround configuration to be honest (e.g. by default surround speakers always closer to hears than front no?)

I've been using mine for more than a couple of months. I thought at first that the surrounds would be heard before the fronts because of the miniDSP but that has not been the case. Everything is in sync IMHO.

try it, you can always get something else

I am sick ans tired tonite. But I want clarify one thing. Is it true that you only have 48kHz and 64Fs input still. I don't mind using your dacs on the output but I don't mind using other dacs either, But I need hi definition input or faster sampling rates at least. I am major worried this is not going to be sufficient enough to produce acceptable sound. I need eq and delay with my new setup. But I need Hi Fidelity too. I am even hoping I am going to be able to extract some hi-sampling rates out of my austar decoder. Being HD and all. Using my decoders dacs then converting back to digital then converting back analogue. I fear this isn't going to come out well. My whole new 4 way active horn set up hinges on this device. I don't think I can afford anything dearer. Sorry If iam sounding a bit fussy but I don't think Iam going to have any resolution left after all that sampling.

I have found that the miniDSPs do not corrupt the signal. Hi Def sources (96/24) sound the same to me with the miniDSPs. I don't think 96kHz sampling adds any SQ for me but the 24 bit depth does. Maybe I'm just to old (56). With the miniDSPs my SQ is higher than ever before (subjectively informed by experience) and I now actively crossover my L/C/R, and equalize and implement a high pass filter for the subs (which are mostly crossed over by the pre/pro although I do have it adding a 6db high pass with it so I can run the bass management of the pre/pro to cross over the subs at 12db/octave and an additional 6db per octave from the miniDSP). This gives me an 18db/octave slope low pass which sounds best with the midwoofers getting a 24db/octave high pass slope.
The miniDSPs have given me more flexibility than anything I've used before.

Last edited:

How about spending more $$$ on that fussiness?? Other then that you should accept the fact that this is a $200 product...ITS an amazing $200 product but GEESH the hair splitting BS about sample rates only requires one solution, more $$$ ;)

There is not a measurement in the world that will backup any opinon saying "this is not going to be sufficient enough to produce acceptable sound"....your room (if has zero treatments) sucks more then this does, your XO might even suck more then the product itself. Lets just say there are so many other factors involved that this device is not remotely the problem in any overall design.

I hope your right because if I went ahead and built this multi way horn set up and found out this dsp sounded like its speced. I would be in a fine pickle. Anything pro sells for like 5k. I suppose for the price its still a bargain. Personally I wouldn't mind paying more for a higher spec.

I'm going to be buying two of these soon. Well, actually a friend of mine is as part of a Complicated Audio Deal. My approach is that combined with REW it'll be an excellent development/ design tool at worst and make it easy to design an analogue active crossover if I want to. My suspicion, based on other builds here and elsewhere- is that it'll sound fine and will probably stay in the system as-is, but at the price it's not really much of a risk.

I hope your right because if I went ahead and built this multi way horn set up and found out this dsp sounded like its speced. I would be in a fine pickle. Anything pro sells for like 5k. I suppose for the price its still a bargain. Personally I wouldn't mind paying more for a higher spec.

If you think spending $$$ dictates performance then How about going with the DEQX, there is no logic in saying that isnt a high enough quality product.

Item Description
Digital Signal processing

Engine
28/56 bit Digital Processor - Double precision processing
Host processor 48MHz micro-controller
Sample rate 48/96/192kHz (depending on the plug-in configuration )
ADC/DAC resolution 24 bits
Analog audio input Unbalanced signal, RCA terminated, 2 x Inputs
Maximum input level, THD<1% 0.9Vrms (RevA) or 2Vrms (RevB)

Dynamic range, un-weighted
>98dB

Input impedance 6kΩ
Analog audio output Unbalanced signal, RCA terminated, 4 x Outputs

I don't get it .It says its 24/96. I warming back up to the idea. No more fever just coughing up blood which is an improvement on 4 days ago.I like that I can battery power it easy. Thats a big plus.

MiniDSP - miniDSP Bal/miniDIGI Combo

I think I was winging about nothing. I was going to buy the min digi anyway.I want to feed the digital out of my Austar satellite TV to the mini digi to the mini dsp than to my amps.

Sorry about winging guys. Was sick in heart and body.I will buy this one. Tempted to buy 2 mins dsp's straight up and build the preamp 4 way from the start. Saved rebuilding the preamp later. Battery power of course. I hope I don't have to build a new computer. That Will be so pricey and tedious. Just to get the usb2. How long has usb2 been around? I guess my old hp veritons with single Pentium and 2 g or rams are not going to have usb2?

Guess I am winging again I have my old gaming computer I can convert. I should be winging about the peace of bone hanging out of my wrist that is throbbing. If it's infected I could loose my hand. So I would be building this set up one handed then. Always dreamed of having the perfect horn setup before I am to crippled to build it so if I get to be stuck in my bed full time for the last ten years of my life. I at least have uber sounds to enjoy.

I am collecting parts for my 10y se headphone amp for the next step after that. When I have to go to the home.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.