Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elementary circuit theory says 'no', your thinking is wrong. Experiments performed on this very forum have shown that mud makes a reasonable conductor for an audio interconnect. It is astonishingly unlikely that any comon electrical metal has conduction problems which rival mud.
The key word is "reasonable" - it works after a fashion, but had to be cleaned up to roughly match other, more conventional methods - and the sound was different, even on rough and ready monitoring devices, for people who tuned into these subtleties. This is all about degree of effect, not whether there is an effect or not - the argument moves on to "who can detect the variation?"

No it is not. Analytical calculation of skin effect for a particular boundary is significantly eased by assuming ideal materials with perfect geometry, but the effect is still there and still works fine for messy boundaries and messy materials - its just that it is difficult to calculate analytically so full wave EM simulators have to be used instead.
Of course there will always be a skin effect - I was wondering if people would misinterpret - but I was trying to point out that effects due to beautiful mathematical behaviours are only part of the story; it's the "messiness" of real materials that can cause another set of audible artifacts ...

WRONG, but then you seem to be a lot anyway. :no: You keep saying that the ear is more sensitive than a calibrated mic and measuring system, WRONG.
If the speaker is defective then the mic/system is very easily going to show not only what frequencies are involved but the amount of distortion produced and what type.
Lets see your ear do that Frank.:rolleyes:
Oh dear ... here we go again - www.klippel.de/uploads/media/Measurement_of_Rub_and_Buzz_01.pdf.

The key word is "reasonable" - it works after a fashion, but had to be cleaned up to roughly match other, more conventional methods - and the sound was different, even on rough and ready monitoring devices, for people who tuned into these subtleties. This is all about degree of effect, not whether there is an effect or not - the argument moves on to "who can detect the variation?"

Of course there will always be a skin effect - I was wondering if people would misinterpret - but I was trying to point out that effects due to beautiful mathematical behaviours are only part of the story; it's the "messiness" of real materials that can cause another set of audible artifacts ...

SKIN EFFECT NOT RELEVANT AT AUDIO FREQUENCIES....how many times does this have to be said.

And how many speaker companies are going to have the production time to manually check every driver, and I would prefer more than one citation when it comes to audio, as it is rife with BS, snake oil, engineering misunderstanding and a million other crimes against sanity.
By the way have I mention skin effect, and audio frequencies its not relevant....
:)

And how many speaker companies are going to have the production time to manually check every driver, and I would prefer more than one citation when it comes to audio, as it is rife with BS, snake oil, engineering misunderstanding and a million other crimes against sanity.
By the way have I mention skin effect, and audio frequencies its not relevant....
:)

Matching can be done at supply level , of course you pay extra and then matched pr again before delivery , yes every speaker part of boutique audio cost , necessary when selling to golden pinnae clientele ...

Just saying .. :drink:

fas42 said:
Misinterpretation is occurring - it happens all the time - for examples see your own posts. If you understood the "beautiful mathematical behaviours" you would realise (as I tried to explain) that simple systems aid analytical calculations but do not fundamentally change the behaviour. The alleged "messiness" of real conducting materials does not "cause another set of audible artifacts" - as I said, circuit theory says no. Experience says no. Measurement says no. The whole aerospace/mensuration/medical/military/telecommunications industry says no.

You really should stop running your strange ideas up the flagpole just so newbies can salute - not realising that the flag is not of a real country but just the imaginary country you think you live in.

Volt, ATC and BMS do manually check every single driver which leaves their respective factories.

Dynaudio guarantees that every driver of a given model matches every other driver to better than 0.5dB so I assume that they too test every driver.

They are all going to test their drivers, and I would presume base quality on the test results, otherwise you have no real metrics to work with.
On a side note I wouldn't mind a pair of SCM300s.

Status
Not open for further replies.