"Audio" grade capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Note that filters expose any capacitor problems and differences in the way that well-chosen coupling caps simply cannot. Yet it seems to be coupling caps which people get excited about.

Absolutely. Positively. Natural facts. Any time you have a voltage developed across a capacitor (EQ, filter, RIAA, crossover, compensation etc) it will create distortion. The better dielectrics reduce the distortion produced under those operating conditions.

THx-RNMarsh

Heavy drinking sessions? Alcohol dulls the senses and its proven, that is why drunks talk so loud. How would they know what sounds right?:D

Then I guess we've also established that cannibus the audio senses
in ones brains and has a known relaxation effect. I guess that is why
the musicians use it so much. Several states have now legalized it, and
I'm sure there are more to come.

I'm wondering how a cannibus "high" compares to the investment
in caps, cables, plugs, outlets etc? Which is more cost effective?
"high" listening to cheap gear?
Sober listening to audiophile gear?

Now, what if you combine the two?
"high" and audiophile gear, is that the ultimate?

better than sex?
better than making music?
better than the natural high of making something work?

Thoughts to ponder.

Semper Fi brother.

I was once asked what fraturnity that was?

All very interesting comments. When anyone makes at statement that includes the word "capacitor" they are referring to a near limitless number of types, styles, dielectrics, construction, electrodes, manufacturers, etc, etc, etc.

Its really hard to get a feel for what makes a capacitor good, bad or ugly.....cheap or expensive.....well actually this one might be easy.....snake oil and gold would be expensive

Oh, quality does not equal tight tolerance, just screening during the manufacturing process.

Snake oil and gold foil do have definite effects on capacitors. Lets put it into perspective:

Snake oil, mineral oil, wax, beeswax, or ear wax all have certain characteristics - electrical and mechanical. By impregnating a capacitor with ear wax, you are replacing the "air" inside with a material with different characteristics.

Same goes with gold foil - the various electrodes used in wound film capacitors (yes this includes paper) have different conductivity, mechanical tensile strength, solderablity and such. Now lets take a metalized capacitor - how thick is the electrode? Can you say angstroms? 3.9-6 inches (If I remember correctly) Anyways pretty thin right?

Now how can you say various capacitor types have no effect on sound?

Yes, most every characteristic I've listed can be measured. The most difficult characteristic is electro-mechanical. What happens when a film capacitor is energized? It contracts! The rate of this mechanical movement is effected by many characteristics of the various material mentioned above.

Chew on this for a while and I will throw some more at you later.....

Then I guess we've also established that cannibus the audio senses
in ones brains and has a known relaxation effect. I guess that is why
the musicians use it so much. Several states have now legalized it, and
I'm sure there are more to come.

I'm wondering how a cannibus "high" compares to the investment
in caps, cables, plugs, outlets etc? Which is more cost effective?
"high" listening to cheap gear?
Sober listening to audiophile gear?

Now, what if you combine the two?
"high" and audiophile gear, is that the ultimate?

better than sex?
better than making music?
better than the natural high of making something work?

Thoughts to ponder.

Semper Fi brother.

I was once asked what fraturnity that was?
We're voting to legalize it in November... I don't have to tell you which way I'm leaning. :spin: I'd like to try some of those fancy stacked caps.... but.... talk about crazy pricing. http://www.thlaudio.com/DuelundCapMnE.htm
I'm running Dayton caps in my system, I think they sound fine enough for my old ears.
http://www.thlaudio.com/DuelundCapMnE.htm

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Rather lacking in data for the Deuland caps... Wot no data sheet! How do you work out self inductance etc...

Have a play with the silver Jantzen and the redZ..OK they are both different so its differing types of distortion..

Then there is the run of the mill polypropylene.. again all different types of distortion.

There you go..:down:..:D

Humm what about detail..its type dependant<<wrong..:D there you go..

But people keep talking about caps, caps, caps, caps its always the same isn't it..(wonder why?)..LOL
AND they say the same type of cap doesn't work as well in every circuit...er the circuit is selective..:D
So you can't have a favourite cap then<<<Oh no!
Its synergy<<wrong..:D
Anyone would think normal caps don't have a sound<<<they don't they are ordinary normal capacitors..I'm sorry..but its all so stupid!
Only Audiophile caps have a "sound"..do you really believe this?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Huh. And I came here looking for a little guidance on the best type coloration to plug into my parafeed amp because it can be a flat, lean and boorish.

I guess that is a couple sites down the street after the next intertube.

I've been eyeballing the Jupiter caps as they have so many praises by some ears I've come to trust in the past. They seem expensive boutiques, but assume that's do to their small production numbers.

Bah, whats a couple hundred bucks? Peanuts in this land of first world problems. They're rolled with BeesWax and I fully expect honey!

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Staff member
Paid Member
:cop: Disrespectful post deleted. cbdb we recommend you take some time to re-acquaint yourself with the forum rules, and abide by them in the future if you wish to continue to participate here. Your ad hominem posting style is repeated post after post and thread after thread and has to stop NOW. Insulting members you disagree with is a violation of forum rules, continue to do so and we will terminate your ability to discuss anything here. We hope that is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.