"Audio" grade capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Audio" Grade Capacitors.

# 23 put it best guys!!! Also, "where" a given type of capacitor is placed in an audio circuit "is paramount"!! Input, inter-stage or, output coupling, "are crucial locations" for example! I have been a college trained Electronics Technician AND DIY Audiophile since the late 60's and I can tell you "without question" YOU BET THERES A DIFFERENCE IN THE SOUND OF CAPACITOR'S... But it is NOT something you will hear WITHOUT proper guidance from someone who can use "proper" terminology in training one "what to listen for".... :snoopy:

........., "where" a given type of capacitor is placed in an audio circuit "is paramount"!! Input, inter-stage or, output coupling, "are crucial locations"...........
These examples are all Audio frequency "coupling" capacitors.

The solution is easy.
Select a non polarised capacitor that passes all the audio signal without any significant AC voltage drop across the capacitor.
Generally selecting an F-3dB about a decade below the lowest wanted frequency gets very close to the "no significant AC voltage drop" requirement.

Once you select the correct type and an adequate size, most listeners will find it impossible to tell capacitors, of the correct type and size, apart.

I have even swapped types (MKT & MKP) and find it very difficult to identify any difference in sound quality.

Last edited:
That's because you listen with your ears !!!
You should *look* at them.
A goldfoil one will look like it sounds much better.
Of course, gold foil must be visible or the magic does not work, so it should be packaged inside a transparent plastic cover .

Sorry, did I mention "plastic" ????

Forgive me, I should have said "Baccarat Crystal".

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

RIGHT thanks for that, us cloth eared folks will now crawl back under our rock.

I'd love to know why a gold foil cap would sound better! Ah cost and boutique audio design, it will probably add depth to the sound (noise for electronics trained people).

Most ears can't hear it; but I've been massaging my ears with Oil of Ophidia, now I can definitely tell the difference (generally based on price and reputation) ;)

useful information

When some starts a thread as useful as this, and it having the aspect of hard to understand or little known aspects. It is best move forward with useful info as some have added with the industry experience. Or those who have done the trial by a/b with know parts and relayed their experience. If you don't know you can call it snake oil, or poo poo it. But for those of use who do understand science and enjoy hearing the knowledge and experience of others. I find the negative comments unhelpful and discouraging to those who would post something that might get a negative comment , yet would be of interest to those who do care about the sound and how it is affected by a part or not. Let's contribute not condemn a topic. We learn from other thru this form and not all topics apply easily to everyone. A beginner does not need the deep audiophile facts about the sound of this part or that. For those who do it better to let them decide is this $40 4uf cap good for me or not. Thank you

When some starts a thread as useful as this, and it having the aspect of hard to understand or little known aspects. It is best move forward with useful info as some have added with the industry experience. Or those who have done the trial by a/b with know parts and relayed their experience. If you don't know you can call it snake oil, or poo poo it. But for those of use who do understand science and enjoy hearing the knowledge and experience of others. I find the negative comments unhelpful and discouraging to those who would post something that might get a negative comment , yet would be of interest to those who do care about the sound and how it is affected by a part or not. Let's contribute not condemn a topic. We learn from other thru this form and not all topics apply easily to everyone. A beginner does not need the deep audiophile facts about the sound of this part or that. For those who do it better to let them decide is this $40 4uf cap good for me or not. Thank you

Yeah us ignaramusous don't have a clue, paper in oil caps Ha! and the rest, we are talking audiophile capacitors, that means boutique rubbish hand would half of the time...The rest of the electronics world (which I have worked in for over 30 years) gets by on well made, well specified capacitors, that are made for the job in hand.
GIVE ME THE SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION OF WHY A GOLD FOIL CAPCITOR WOULD SOUND BETTER.......

Further its open debate, not some sycophantic audiophile worshiping forum here:)

In principle exhorbitant price does not guarantee better (or even good) sound in as mundane a component as a capacitor.

What *does* have an effect is the **capacitance** , that's why capacitors are made and available in a wide range from 1 pF to several Farads, why the **capacitance** value is printed in schematics, while the **capacitance** value is used in formulas, why the **capacitance** is printed on its body, etc.

Please show me a formula where it states foil **material** or handmade vs. machine made, or **colour** or fresh made vs. NOS and I'll start believing a little on its importance.

Otherwise ........

On ebay ,theo cheap, to be real. prices are sometimes a bit tooo cheap.....
But no, audio-caps offcourse don't excist, but the manufacturers just take a low esr..etc and sells it as audio-grade, which ain't lying is.
But if you mean if there are caps which are far more suitable for audio-use, offcourse, only
no kind off technology is made for music if that's what you mean. The market is far too small for companies. Making a product nice-looking and call it audiograde and but a high pricetag on it is far more easier....
But don't think that your cheap samsung(or so)tv contains good brand caps.....cheap caps everywhere...

Yeah us ignaramusous don't have a clue, paper in oil caps Ha! and the rest, we are talking audiophile capacitors, that means boutique rubbish hand would half of the time...The rest of the electronics world (which I have worked in for over 30 years) gets by on well made, well specified capacitors, that are made for the job in hand.
GIVE ME THE SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION OF WHY A GOLD FOIL CAPCITOR WOULD SOUND BETTER.......

Further its open debate, not some sycophantic audiophile worshiping forum here:)

I've been trying out 1st order filters for actively amped speakers, and even though there's no discernible brand name on the bottles, these Russian vacuum capacitors sound different (read: better) than anything else I've tried so far.
And at 200pF each they're cheaper than boutique caps, although they are way more than silver mica ones.
At the $25 each delivered, I love them.
Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I only regret going all out on fancy German and French made green or black caps prior to these.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
they have always said that interconnects made off pure gold wire sounds soft
and I might even believe that
not sure, but isn't gold a relatively poor conductor ?

but it sure would be a big surprice if gold would not be better :D

wrap it in something looking like crap, and tell it is made from recycled scrap, and very few would even bother to give it a listen, but ask ... what is next price range :clown:

and it will be same for just about every other type of hifi item
it can sound like heaven, but if it does not look great, noone will buy it :magnify:

you can take any of the best amp designs, wrap it crap, say its designed by someone unknown, and try sell it very cheap ... you would probably end up giving them away

or you could ofcourse choose to do the opposite, and have lots of customers

ouch, that was a bit wicked, sorry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.