Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 160 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2012, 08:08 PM   #1591
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso
But I found them to have a lot of leakage current
Over on the vintage radio forums everyone is ripping out old paper dielectric caps because of their leakage, although this is after 50 years of reasonable service. Over there they would be astonished to learn that people over here sometimes deliberately choose paper caps.
Old 30th January 2012, 08:16 PM   #1592
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
No, but they had nothing to do with THD.
50 hz THD is at 1% for 1W RMS.....
Nice electric bass enhancer..

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th January 2012, 08:43 PM   #1593
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
No, but they had nothing to do with THD. One is a square wave, the other is a spectrum from an IMD measurement. Some might be happy with the sound of that amp. I would be embarrassed to sell something like that, but that's why I'm not one of them perr-fessionals.
Well they are considered purrr-fessionals and they like the sound, how ..? with such poor measurements , there should have been consensus on how poorly the amp sounds ...

My insinuation to THD was from reading the article not from the graphs posted ... 5% @ rated power ..... !!!!

Last edited by a.wayne; 30th January 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 30th January 2012, 08:45 PM   #1594
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Some people like effects boxes.
Old 30th January 2012, 08:57 PM   #1595
diyAudio Member

Me, me! '-)
Old 30th January 2012, 09:04 PM   #1596
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Me, me! '-)
Apparently not. Your stuff has good frequency response, low distortion, low source impedance, and is stable. As Max Bialystock said to Leo Bloom, "Naaaah, too good!" Back to the drawing board!
Old 30th January 2012, 09:33 PM   #1597
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

On what we are not sure what to quantify, my wife did like the SE Cary triodes. Variac came today.

Back to study. Appreciate the diode feedback. I am having trouble visualizing the relationships between phase changes and the poles.

Tangent: Often wondered if a low pass filter in the tweeter crossover would be adventitious. Don't ask the tweeter to do things you don't want it to do anyway. Never seen commentary on that.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:44 PM   #1598
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
...Tangent: Often wondered if a low pass filter in the tweeter crossover would be adventitious. Don't ask the tweeter to do things you don't want it to do anyway. Never seen commentary on that. ...
Suspect you mean "advantageous". Well, tweeters are usually themselves getting predominantly inductive at high-enough frequencies, so they have a bit of their own inherent lowpass filter. Not that this makes it all that difficult to burn them out.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:54 PM   #1599
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Typing fingers are frequently disconnected from the brain. Just thinking of things that might excite the breakup modes or cause additional IM mechanically.

The Wiki page on Bode plots is putting more of it together for me.
Old 31st January 2012, 04:25 AM   #1600
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
you don't realize that "pandering to your base" with obviously flawed rhetoric is insulting to their intelligence as well?
I was being ironic. You understand irony?

And I am not pandering to anyone.

You may be labouring under the misapprehension that I actually care what people think of my ideas, that I am looking for some kind of fan-club or any such.

I don't.

I'm merely trying to help those that ask for help and ideas, simply because when I was much younger and less experienced I found people that did the same for me.

Anyone else, take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
diverse cap dielectrics, constructions were available before you ever touched a soldering iron - just maybe "conventional engineers" have understood the need for different performance tradeoffs in circuit components for a long human lifetime of electrical engineering now
You know what, when I was a little kid and started messing with tube radios and other circuits of mine I was amazed by the many different one and what could be the reasoning. I figured then it must be like chocolate or icecream, different flavours, tastes... :-P

Ciao T

Hide this!Advertise here!