Sudden loss of interest to sound quality - who else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I had been a audio-nut for more than 20 years until a couple of years ago. Rather than enjoying the music, I always had tried to seek perfect sound, so I spent a lot of money on purchasing and changing audio equipments, and I also built a lot of audios, mostly tube amps.

A couple of years ago, I lost my passion. I do not listen to the music like I did before, and even I listen, I don't care about the sound quality.

It was the time two big events of my life happened:
- I got promoted to a very good position at work, since then I have been super busy
- I got married to a woman who does not normally listen to the music I like: heavy metal, classical, and jazz. She likes pops and easy listenings.

But I still enjoy building audios. From scratch, kit, mod, whatever type of DIY, I love it still.

Does anyone have same experience?

Doug

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I went through something similar about a decade ago, but I am happy to report am quite cured - and the end result is worth it. Lots of time spend designing and building most of my system from speakers, amps, phono and line stages, sources, etc. Sound quality is once again important to me, but I've reached the point of diminishing returns for ever bigger sums of scratch - so I tend to do a lot more listening before embarking on the next project.

Hopefully you'll be "cured" too, OTOH it sounds like you have a pretty good life, when the time is right to pick it up where you left off you'll know it. :D

With me it's worse. I can't listen long toso called high quality audio before starting to analyse the true or imaginary faults. The frustration turned me off listenning at all and I mostly enjoy cheap setups and my crappy car and can listen to radio for hrs. Especially musical are mid-fi japanese integrated sytems ,all those sony's kenwoods etc. I hope it will change some day ;)

Definition:

Audiophilesis is not dangerous to society manic psychosis, manifested in the constant quest for the unattainable ideal, in this case the sound quality. Constant dissatisfaction leads to the development of psychological sensory deprivation, which in turn leads to lower satisfaction with the results. As a consequence, the audiophile is a vicious circle. Extremely difficult to treat.

originally posted by wavebourn-
As a consequence, the audiophile is a vicious circle. Extremely difficult to treat.

That would be a pessimistic view...we should learn and cultivate the TAO
of audio,like all intangible things it's the mind's perception and the mind is pretty intrusive preventing clear "thought" and perspective of reality.Taoist wisdom teaches one paramount wisdom and that is we exist in a reality that
the main principle is balance which is Yin and Yang ,the female and male energy respectively.Yin is a recieving one and Yang the giving counterpart.This is reflected in the western concept of science of newtonian
laws of equal and opposing force,inertia and dynamic force.Matter or energy
can neither be created or destroyed but can only be transformed. So the tao of audio is simply the perspective viewpoint of a physical phenomena relative to the reality as a whole that is nothing exist by itself for itself but is active in the whole scheme of things meaning participation.Westernscience has long forgotten this point.So proof of individual component and processes being divorced from the whole or unifiying source,god or whatever you want to call it.

Humans are rather similiar but we have through the course of time drifted
far from our wisdom.It's a complicated topic dealing with ego,ethics and politics.Look at what's going on around the world,notice the tide of change politically in the middle east and western countries there is no denying that
something is stirring.

The way to enlightenment is basically learning to know and love oneself.Without this how can we interact with things outside ourselves is all to be found in the harmonious blending of energies,your's and the external.
Spend quiet time with yourselves,visit nature and show gratitude for her nourishment and beauty Listen intently she will communicate with you.To the skeptics this is all nonsense because they are cut off from the flow.Only by sincere intention and study can one slowly begin to experience the the truth and reality that we are all connected to the same lifeforce.Whether we as humans know and respect the wisdom or not that is the question.

Last edited:
I have a wife that does not care for music especially at real live listening levels, so even though i build amps I mainly listen to headphones when I do not want to offend....sad tough it may be we have all made choices that do not really follow our real passion.

Divorce court or head phones, let me think about it...

E

I have a wife that does not care for music especially at real live listening levels, so even though i build amps I mainly listen to headphones when I do not want to offend....sad tough it may be we have all made choices that do not really follow our real passion.

Be still ,have quiet time and meditation.Learn to be introspective and if you are wise and enlightened then know no man is an island.You don't live in a vacuum.This is your journey of experience and learning.Don't be so hasty to think of divorce.Have compassion for your partner for she is learning with you.If your energies whether it is thought energy or emotions be aware of the harmonius rule or requirements.Remember ying and yang.She is the reciever and you the giver but what are you giving? Is it not in the bible,"You reap what you sow"? Learn patience and empathy,not forgetting getting to know yourself instead of just reacting.There is an equal and opposing force or energy.What are you generating or creating,always be mindful of this aspect.

Go placidly amidst the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself; and heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys. Know what to kiss - and when. Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do. Wherever possible, put people on hold. Be comforted, that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment, and despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Notwithstanding whatever passion and perfectionism we may bring to our projects, the law of diminishing returns will eventually slow each of us. My most recent project produced a quantum leap in quality - so much that I became engrossed with music rather than sound. Now I am primarily interested in creating more of this enjoyment - in other rooms of my house and for other members of my family. ...but should any new DIY component sound better than what is now in my 'main' system, that is where it belongs!

Wow a lot of philosophical comments there. Thanks a lot.
I was wondering if I am going through mid-life crisis or if I am suffering from any kind of physical problem, like deterioration of hearing.

It's good that I still love audios but I also enjoy more music rather anaylising it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.