Sudden loss of interest to sound quality - who else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's not that I totally lost my ability to tell which is high fidelity and which is not, but that I now am playing Mahler No. 6 out of $20 pc speakers (even without a sub!) and loving it.
And I am looking at DIYAUDIO threads to plan my next diy project, while all I need is $20 pc speakers!

Am I totally poisoned?

By the way, I love tube gears, the brigher the tubes light up the better, but now I don't care sound quality. How is my idea? To use 211 or 845 or 6C33C for regulated power supply and build a gainclone upon it?

Hi, Just to clear the confusion,taoism is not a religion but a philosophy much like if you say you are a vegetarian.An attitude and behaviour.It is over five thousand years old knowledge accumulated by these ancient scientists and astronomers.It was a highly guarded knowledge passed down to their inner circle.By now you would have heard of accupuncture and it's system of energy meridians along the human body.I used the christian analogy because most westerners are familiar with.

I listen more often in the car than at home. Luckily the stock audio system of my car (Mercedes C class) sounds quite natural. When I do find time at home to really listen, I am happy, but truthfully most of the time I am these days doing something else while having the music on in the background.
I also listen quite often to the ipod in the car, and to apple tv streaming my itunes to my hifi (1970s Quad gear + DIY coaxial speakers), so in principle I listen rarely to uncompressed music, and yet it doesn't bother me that much.

Heh

I have been playing a little audiophile for several years as well.And at one time I was more critical about bad sounding gear.
These days I'm able again to enjoy the music itself,without all the negativism.

What has great importance for me is some sort of base to keep the foot tapping and not too bright treble.That goes a long way if listening while driving a car or surfing the net etc.

Maybe it's the inner ear equalizer playing tricks on me...imagination filling the caps and so on...

Then time to go back to hifi altar,lay back and once again be surprised how damn great it sound:rolleyes:

Hi, Just to clear the confusion,taoism is not a religion but a philosophy much like if you say you are a vegetarian.An attitude and behaviour.It is over five thousand years old knowledge accumulated by these ancient scientists and astronomers.It was a highly guarded knowledge passed down to their inner circle.By now you would have heard of accupuncture and it's system of energy meridians along the human body.I used the christian analogy because most westerners are familiar with.

It come back to West from East, because own Western creeks of the same Primordial Tradition were almost dried up by Holly Inquisition. But some of them were preserved by Rosicrucians and Freemasons, and bloomed on American land.

Trying to turn back onto topic here......I find myself concerning with quality now more than ever. Right now I'm listening to TOTO, "Pamela"...on another screnn as I write this. The quantity & availability has increased multi-fold........shuffling thru CDs' or....let alone LPs is going the way of the Do-do bird.........really.
Yes I'm listening thru an ultra-cheap set of headphones...My ol' Koss headphones have fallen apart (Too many years).
I can't stand the poor quality out of "The music channel" on Direct-TV......we need to pull up the quality level...to match the QUANTITY level.
Just my 2 cents.

__________________________________________________________Rick.......

I am content with my music/HT system--and it fits the WAF factor very well (except the sub but she is adjusting) Does this mean I'm done? No...just that sound quality as the main focus is done.

Now it is time to have a little fun. Garage speakers in all their big box ugliness, stuff a horn loaded sub over there sort of thing. Miss having PA speakers and the garage system will have guitar inputs/mic inputs so my son and a friend of mine can come over and practice.

I find designing a good sounding PA "full range with helper tweeter" speaker much more enjoyable than HT speakers/subwoofers by a large margin. No worries about looks, size, weight, where it will fit etc. Going for "big sound" and high output but if it sounds great--all the better. Cutting the dust cap off a "normal" speaker and throwing in a wood phase plug is not something I'd normally do for a home speaker, the garage version will get that and putty on the frame just to try it out. Wrap grill cloth around the speaker to keep dust/dirt out of the gap and an L-Pad on the horn for tweaking. Getting a tapped horn to play well with the speaker might be an issue--just keep drinking until it sounds good. :cool:

Doug,

Looks like you adjusted well to the changes that happened in your life... probably the added responsibility at work plus getting married took priority in your mind and your life got rearranged that way (which is good). This has also happened to me at times; it doesn't mean your passion is dead. I feel it's a the brain/mind's attempt of "optimizing" - making best of the moment and whatever resources are at your disposal at that time, while allowing you to keep focused on "bigger" things... When you'll have the "brain time" back, it's likely you'll get the old feeling back. It is also helpful if you have somebody to share your expereinces/passion with... like some people have groups/buddies for sports, jogging, gym etc. My wife doesn't share my interest on PCs, audio, or sports - I have other buddies/groups to keep me ticking. When time is short (not only physical time, but brain time), you tend to drop the less important stuff and focus on critical matters at hand; if you can free your mind a bit, I think even short sessions of being an audiophile would be enjoyable to you again.

Enough of rambling... I need time... :)

It come back to West from East, because own Western creeks of the same Primordial Tradition were almost dried up by Holly Inquisition. But some of them were preserved by Rosicrucians and Freemasons, and bloomed on American land.

Good for you wavebourn,you still have the link.The rest are not too keen
on mind and zen,better stop here or we may be labeled as off topic.:D

My interest in audio waxes and wanes -

I've even gone as far as selling all of my gear and going with a little Onkyo bookshelf speaker.

Then the bug bit me again - it starts with a simple tube amp rebuild, a speaker kit... and then I'm knee-deep in parts again with an angry wife!

I'm definitely on a downward curve again - I'm pretty happy with my two systems and I'm starting to hit the expense/diminishing return wall.

Even when listening to my HT system, my audiophile preferences are there- for instance, I've found that Blu-Rays with DTS Lossless sound significantly more dynamic and alive than those with lossy Dolby encoding of any sort. Due to long cable runs, I did not want to cough up bucks for actual audiophile speaker cables, but I did get rid of the stranded stuff I originally had & am now using fire alarm cable (12AWG twisted pair solid copper in a red jacket - kewl!) for better detail and soundstaging, plus it won't go all green with surface oxidation over time.

I think an interest in "sound quality" can be a bit like Cher's face. Each increment in 'better quality' is a small logical improvement, but over time it ends up as a ridiculous mess relying on constant attention to needles, valves and tubes, and more distorted than if you'd left it alone. And the same goes for the audio system.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
A listener's expectations generally change with time, influenced by a multitude of factors. For me these include things outside my control, such as recording technique and quality, plus factors that are very particular to me alone such as the genre and presentation of whatever is sounding good from a purely musical standpoint. Lately I've been in pursuit of "coherency" in signal sources, transducers and room acoustics. The ear needs to be sensitized and one's appreciation refined in order to influence the equipment and environment to good effect. So, yes, musical waves come and go plus equipment ages just like skin. Change is a constant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.