Sudden loss of interest to sound quality - who else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMO, just the typical result of typical events. You're busy and therefore tired and have less time for hobbys. WAF (wife approval factor) is always a big concern. My wife doesn't like any of the same music I do, so I simply never turn on the "big" system. Mostly I transfer classic vinyl to CD and listen in the car. I'm into electronics in a big way, but much of what I do is theory or experimentation; it rarely sees the light of day in the big system. Why bother? I get my kicks from designing preamps for the vinyl transfer system or headphone amp stuff or component analysis, my special interest. The music I like is entirely out of style and always was. Sound quality remains very important, but I'm not a nut case on it.

Wow a lot of philosophical comments there. Thanks a lot.
I was wondering if I am going through mid-life crisis or if I am suffering from any kind of physical problem, like deterioration of hearing.

It's good that I still love audios but I also enjoy more music rather anaylising it.

Both...hearing loss really becomes apparent around mid-life.

I recommend the distilled version of some of the most awesome posts here...don't worry about it. All music is good, there is no right or wrong from low grade mp3 to bybee nonsense. What works is what works for you, you ears, life situation, budget, whatever. Relax and enjoy.

Great thread! You guys are priceless.

Hey Singa,
May I quote ou on my blog? I called it TAO of Tubes for much the same reasons.

That would be a pessimistic view...we should learn and cultivate the TAO
of audio,like all intangible things it's the mind's perception and the mind is pretty intrusive preventing clear "thought" and perspective of reality.Taoist wisdom teaches one paramount wisdom and that is we exist in a reality that
the main principle is balance which is Yin and Yang ,the female and male energy respectively.Yin is a recieving one and Yang the giving counterpart.This is reflected in the western concept of science of newtonian
laws of equal and opposing force,inertia and dynamic force.Matter or energy
can neither be created or destroyed but can only be transformed. So the tao of audio is simply the perspective viewpoint of a physical phenomena relative to the reality as a whole that is nothing exist by itself for itself but is active in the whole scheme of things meaning participation....

Last edited:
My advice: Dig into the music! Research the works of one artist you like ( f.x. the guitarplayer of this or that band). Try to find some musical details about his or hers style, evolution, sideprojects etc. That will for sure get you interested in listening to your old music again. (...unless ofcourse you already are at this 'level', but most people arent.)
And then you wil find out, that if you focus you can actually follow the musical details of a specific musician on both your car stereo, and especially if you get some good headphones for use at work or other times when you are 'out'.

And when you then have an hour alone at home....fire up that superstereo and you can again enjoy your music again fully!
:)

How I stopped worrying and embraced the media server.

I stopped worrying about "sound quality" of equipment and enjoyed the music after I found

1. a decent neutral sounding speaker that did not sound different after equalization with a deq
2. that comparing a 2400$ 4 bryston 4 BST with an old quad 405 for 50$ and bulging caps from a third hand store I could not hear the slightest difference in a/b comparison on above speakers
3. that using a deq a kef 104/2 un-equed sounded as my three way diy sounded as a kef calinda (the worst speaker I ever heard before equing) sounded as a celestion 44
4. that a hypex AS2.100 sounded as good as a Bryston 4BSt with a little less power which after all was better for my speakers
5. that music from a regular cd rom player for 25$ sounded as good as that played from a Micromega stage 2
6. that music from HDD in flac sounds the same in A/B comparison as in wav sounds as good as from CD
7. that the convenience of a media server beats everything else by at least 1/4 mile
8. That the whole shebang cost me less than 1/2 what my previous system had cost
9. that the dsp software available beats anything that you ever find in hardware
10. that 37 000 songs stored on HDD takes almost infinitely less room and is easier to access with info about artist and album etc. than the same in shiny aluminum disc.

In short - I **** on any so called audiophile hardware, except for decent speakers and maybe a good dsp for control of room interaction. And I play more music and can create immediate playlists selected from the foobar library without scrounging through meters of shelf space.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
This thread started out well, we had nice theory - it seems now we have nice examples. Listening to music is a spiritual experience, some spirits are in better shape than others. Everything normal. WORK and WOMEN. That combo doesn't sound right to me so I'm not surprised by your loss of appetite. :D

People put into their hifi systems too much hope - they ain't going to fix you, no matter how much cable swapping you do. There are days in which everything sounds wrong. To some folks nothing ever sounds right. This leads me to think that music therapies to treat mental disorders may not be that good idea after all. Expensive idea it is, but... does it work?

Well, no question that going to HD storage (thank you to pinkmouse, Pano, and Netlist for encouragement and help) was a MAJOR step in convenience and with no degradation in sound. More convenient translated to "on and playing more often." I still give my TT a spin now and then, but I have to really want to hear a piece of music that's not ripped to HD to make me go through the drudgery.

I didn't stop worrying about the sound quality, unfortunately.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.